On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun old testament
What does old testament mean as a name of something?
- the collection of books comprising the sacred scripture of the Hebrews and recording their history as the chosen people; the first half of the Christian Bible
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic words: testament / will = a legal document declaring a person's wishes regarding the disposal of their property when they die
- instance: Septuagint = the oldest Greek version of the Old Testament
- part of: Bible / Book / Christian Bible / Good Book / Holy Scripture / Holy Writ / Scripture / Word / Word of God = the sacred writings of the Christian religions
- Book of Genesis / Genesis = the first book of the Old Testament: tells of Creation; Adam and Eve; the Fall of Man; Cain and Abel; Noah and the flood; God's covenant with Abraham; Abraham and Isaac; Jacob and Esau
- Book of Exodus / Exodus = the second book of the Old Testament: tells of the departure of the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt led by Moses
- Book of Leviticus / Leviticus = the third book of the Old Testament
- Book of Numbers / Numbers = the fourth book of the Old Testament
- Book of Joshua / Joshua / Josue = a book in the Old Testament describing how Joshua led the Israelites into Canaan (the Promised Land) after the death of Moses
- Book of Judges / Judges = a book of the Old Testament that tells the history of Israel under the leaders known as judges
- Book of Ruth / Ruth = a book of the Old Testament that tells the story of Ruth who was not an Israelite but who married an Israelite and who stayed with her mother-in-law Naomi after her husband died
- 1 Samuel / I Samuel = the first of two books in the Old Testament that tell of Saul and David
- II Samuel / 2 Samuel = the second of two books of the Old Testament that tell of Saul and David
- 1 Kings / I Kings = the first of two Old Testament books telling the histories of the kings of Judah and Israel
- II Kings / 2 Kings = the second of two Old Testament books telling the histories of the kings of Judah and Israel
- 1 Chronicles / I Chronicles = the first of two Old Testament books telling the history of Judah and Israel until the return from the Babylonian Captivity in 536 BC
- II Chronicles / 2 Chronicles = the second of two Old Testament books telling the history of Judah and Israel until the return from the Babylonian Captivity in 536 BC
- Book of Ezra / Ezra = an Old Testament book telling of a rabbi's efforts in the 5th century BC to reconstitute Jewish law and worship in Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity
- Book of Nehemiah / Nehemiah = an Old Testament book telling how a Jewish official at the court of Artaxerxes I in 444 BC became a leader in rebuilding Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity
- Book of Esther / Esther = an Old Testament book telling of a beautiful Jewess who became queen of Persia and saved her people from massacre
- Book of Job / Job = a book in the Old Testament containing Job's pleas to God about his afflictions and God's reply
- Book of Psalms / Psalms = an Old Testament book consisting of a collection of 150 Psalms
- Book of Proverbs / Proverbs = an Old Testament book consisting of proverbs from various Israeli sages
- Book of Ecclesiastes / Ecclesiastes = an Old Testament book consisting of reflections on the vanity of human life
- Canticle of Canticles / Song of Solomon / Song of Songs / Canticles = an Old Testament book consisting of a collection of love poems traditionally attributed to Solomon but actually written much later
- Book of Isaiah / Isaiah = an Old Testament book consisting of Isaiah's prophecies
- Book of Jeremiah / Jeremiah = a book in the Old Testament containing the oracles of the prophet Jeremiah
- Book of Lamentations / Lamentations = an Old Testament book lamenting the desolation of Judah after the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 BC
- Book of Ezekiel / Ezechiel / Ezekiel = an Old Testament book containing Ezekiel's prophecies of the downfall of Jerusalem and Judah and their subsequent restoration
- Book of the Prophet Daniel / Book of Daniel / Daniel = an Old Testament book that tells of the apocalyptic visions and the experiences of Daniel in the court of Nebuchadnezzar
- Book of Hosea / Hosea = an Old Testament book telling Hosea's prophecies
- Book of Joel / Joel = an Old Testament book telling Joel's prophecies
- Book of Amos / Amos = an Old Testament book telling Amos's prophecies
- Book of Obadiah / Obadiah / Abdias = an Old Testament book telling Obadiah's prophecies
- Book of Jonah / Jonah = a book in the Old Testament that tells the story of Jonah and the whale
- Book of Micah / Micheas / Micah = an Old Testament book telling the prophecies of Micah foretelling the destruction of Jerusalem
- Book of Nahum / Nahum = an Old Testament book telling Nahum's prophecy of the fall of Nineveh
- Book of Habakkuk / Habakkuk / Habacuc = an Old Testament book telling Habakkuk's prophecies
- Book of Zephaniah / Sophonias / Zephaniah = an Old Testament book telling the prophecies of Zephaniah which are concerned mainly with the approaching judgment by God upon the sinners of Judah
- Book of Haggai / Aggeus / Haggai = an Old Testament book telling the prophecies of Haggai which are concerned mainly with rebuilding the temples after the Babylonian Captivity
- Book of Zachariah / Zacharias / Zechariah = an Old Testament book telling the prophecies of Zechariah which are concerned mainly with the renewal of Israel after the Babylonian Captivity
- Pentateuch / Torah / Laws = the first of three divisions of the Hebrew Scriptures comprising the first five books of the Hebrew Bible considered as a unit
- Apocrypha = 14 books of the Old Testament included in the Vulgate (except for II Esdras) but omitted in Jewish and Protestant versions of the Bible; eastern Christian churches (except the Coptic Church) accept all these books as canonical
- Psalm = one of the 150 lyrical poems and prayers that comprise the Book of Psalms in the Old Testament
Old Testament is a musical group.
- album: "Old Testament"
"Old Testament" is a musical album of Jihad.
- released in (20 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Old Testament
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William D. Mounce
Doing Hebrew Word Studies John Kohlenberger has written an excellent interlinear, The Interlinear NIV Hebrew-English Old Testament (Zondervan, 1979) . This can help you find the Hebrew word behind the English, but because of the issues ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Old Testament
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Old Testament
Click on an item to view that photo:
- OLD TESTAMENT
Photo credit: kenny barker
- Righteous Old Testament Women
From the Descent into Hades Resurrection icon
Photo credit: bobosh_t
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Old Testament
Click on an item to play that video:
- Old Testament Meaning
Video shows what Old Testament means. The first major part of the Christian Bible, covering events before the coming of Christ, corresponding roughly to the ...
- Old Testament Survey Presentation explanation
Calvary Online School.
- Lord Jesus as a lamb in Old Testament Explanation
- Hermeneutics IV-Original Language Old Testament
- Few Minutes in 1 Samuel: Old Testament Prayer Language (The Nation's Christ-based Leader)
Using the Few Minutes platform, Dr. Steven DavidSon reveals God's plan for humanity with the beginning of Kings. First Samuel demonstrates how God deals ...
View more videos about The Old Testament.
See also the pronunciation examples of Old Testament!
Quotes about Old Testament
If you followed the Manu,
The Hindus Old Testament,
You would be a criminal.
If you followed the Geetha,
The Hindu’s New testament,
You would be held insane.
The scriptures are meant to read
And preach to earn an image.
20.03.2009 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)