On this page:
Definition of the noun optative
What does optative mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: optatives
- a mood (as in Greek or Sanskrit) that expresses a wish or hope; expressed in English by modal verbs
- region: Ellas / Greece / Hellenic Republic
- domain: Sanskrit / Sanskritic language
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- synonym of optative: optative mood
- more generic words: modality / mode / mood = verb inflections that express how the action or state is conceived by the speaker
Alternative definition of the noun optative
- [grammar] a mood of verbs found in some languages (e.g. Old Prussian, Latin), used to express a wish. English has no inflexional optative mood, but it has modal verbs like "might" and "may" that express possibility.
- a verb or expression in the optative mood.
Definition of the adjective optative
What does optative mean as an attribute of a noun?
- indicating an option or wish
- lexical domain: Relational Adjectives (pertainyms)
- relating to a mood of verbs in some languages
Alternative definition of the adjective optative
- expressing a wish or a choice.
- related or pertaining to the optative mood.
The optative mood, from Ancient Greek euktikḗ " for wishing" and Latin optātīvus " of wishing", is a grammatical mood of the Ancient Greek verb, named for its use as a way to express wishes. It is also used to express potentiality and to replace other moods in dependent clauses under past-tense main verbs.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Optative
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Frances Froman, Carrie Joan Dyck, Alfred Keye, Lottie Keye
a-- optative a:gahya:go' / would pick fruit ad- dualic and factual adwagahsiha:s / choked adi- ...
by Blair A. Rudes
contrastive+dualic+optative, pfx. the/ = na(r)(a)-. contrastive+dualic+factual. pfx.
NEGATIVE OPTATIVE – IMPERATIVE MOOD ENDINGS TRANSITIVE ...
by Bernard Alwyn Taylor
One set of forms that illustrates this well are the verbs that share the ending σαι: first aorist active optative third person singular, first aorist active infinitive, and first aorist middle imperative second person singular. Not every verb can have all of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Optative
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Optative
Video shows what optative means. expressing a wish or a choice.. related or pertaining to the optative mood.. Optative Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
Scrabble value of O1P3T1A1T1I1V4E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of OPTATIVE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Optative!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Optative to find many related words and phrases!