On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun oxbow
What does oxbow mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: oxbows
- the land inside an oxbow bend in a river
- a U-shaped curve in a stream
- a wooden framework bent in the shape of a U; its upper ends are attached to the horizontal yoke and the loop goes around the neck of an ox
Alternative definition of the noun oxbow
- A U-shaped piece of wood used as a collar for an ox, the upper parts fastened to its yoke
- A meander in a river; the land enclosed by such a loop
- Oxbow is a Canadian town in the southeast of the province of Saskatchewan. It is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway and on Provincial Highway 18. It is approximately 58 kilometers west of Saskatchewan's border with Manitoba and approximately 26 kilometers north of Canada's border with the American state of North Dakota.
- Oxbow is a city in Cass County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 305 at the 2010 census. It is an upscale bedroom community of Fargo, located about 15 miles to the south.
- Oxbow is a plantation in Aroostook County, Maine, United States. The population was 66 at the 2010 census.
- Oxbow is a hamlet in the town of Antwerp of Jefferson County, New York, United States. It was founded in 1817 by Abraham Cooper, an ancestor of Ambassador Charles W. Yost. It lies at an altitude of 354 feet. Located at Oxbow is the Dr. Abner Benton House, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
- Oxbow a.k.a. Oxbow, Oregon: Oxbow is an unincorporated community in Baker County, Oregon, United States. Oxbow is located on Oregon Route 86 next to the Snake River near the Oxbow Dam on the Oregon-Idaho border, about 17 miles northeast of Halfway. Oxbow is just south of the site of the former mining town of Copperfield. Although it is unincorporated, Oxbow has a post office with a ZIP code of 97840.
- read more about Oxbow, Oregon
Oxbow is an experimental rock band from San Francisco, California. Founded in 1989, Oxbow plays a blend of noise rock, avant-garde jazz, Contemporary classical music, and blues. The band has released six studio albums.
- genres: Avant-garde, Doom metal, Noise rock, Avant-garde music, Post-hardcore, Experimental rock, Heavy metal
- albums: "Love That's Last: A Wholly Hypnographic & Disturbing Work Regarding Oxbow", "An Evil Heat", "Fuckfest", "Serenade in Red", "King of the Jews", "The Narcotic Story", "Let Me Be a Woman", "The Balls in the Great Meat Grinder Collection", "Oxbow Meet White Tornado", "Songs for the French", "Stone & Towering Edifice: Live at the BAM"
- official website: theoxbow.com
Oxbow is a brand of clothing and athletic equipment. Since its creation in 1985 in Pont-Audemer, France, Oxbow has positioned itself in the world of boardsports as an international brand. Oxbow restarted the World Longboard Championship in 1992, and sponsors athletes such as surfer Laird Hamilton and windsurfer Jason Polakow. Oxbow's Back to Powder winter event draws some of the best skiers and snowboarders in the world. The business is involved in five sports: surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, snowboarding, and skiing. Oxbow became an affiliate of the French group Lafuma in 2005.
- official website: www.oxboworld.com
Oxbow, an American Thoroughbred racehorse, is best known for winning the second jewel in the United States Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing, the 2013 Preakness Stakes. A bay colt, sired by a winner of the Breeders' Cup Classic and out of a full sister to another Breeders' Cup Classic winner, Oxbow was sold as a yearling at Keeneland for $250,000 and is owned by Brad Kelley of Calumet Farm. He was trained by D. Wayne Lukas and was ridden in his Triple Crown races by Gary Stevens.
- born on (5 years ago), child of Awesome Again
"Oxbow" is a book by Ralph Kimball.
Oxbow: An oxbow is a U-shaped metal pole that fits the underside and the sides of the neck of an ox or bullock. A bow pin holds it in place.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Oxbow
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
At the Annual Session ...
The Oxbow is an instance of this kind.
The Modern Babes in the Wood (1872)
Or, Summerings in the Wilderness by Henry Perry Smith
The Great Oxbow is an immense curve in the river. A canal, 60 ft. in length cut across here, saves a distance of 2 m. Just below, at a beautiful spot, where a spring of the purest water comes gushing up, travelers often stop to lunch. There is a ...
by Michigan. Legislature
The Oxbow is an instance of this kind.
Documents Accompanying the Journal of the House of Representatives of the State of Michigan, at the Annual Session of ... (1838)
The Oxbow is an instance ...
The Man Who Saw a Ghost (2012)
The Life and Work of Henry Fonda by Devin McKinney
As an antilynching statement, OxBow is a strong dose. It is brave in implying a relation between manliness and sadism, and its energy is bracingly modern: The frames breathe realism, toughness, cool. Indeed, with its highcontrast lighting, ...
The Founding Fish (2003)
by John McPhee
The Northampton oxbow is a cutoff meander in the Connecticut River that has been further occluded by Interstate 91, like a bar sinister traversing the letter C. The resulting lagoon is, in Willys words, "a tremendous nursery ground for fish.
Concept Formation (2014)
Knowledge and Experience in Unsupervised Learning by Douglas H. Fisher, Michael J. Pazzani, Pat Langley
OXBOW is a module in a larger system called MEANDER (Iba, 1991) that addresses a wide range of learning and performance issues related to recognition and generation of human motor behavior. The methods used here also incorporate ...
by CTI Reviews
An oxbow is a Ushaped metal pole that fits the .
In a Compendious Form : with a View of the Surrounding Lakes by James Henry Lanman
The Oxbow is an instance of this kind. Here, after making a circuit of a mile and one-fourth, it APPENDIX. 373.
by Grace C. Keroher
Oxbow Dolomite (in Bertie Group) Upper Silurian (Murderian) : Central New York. D. W. Fisher, 1959, New York State Mus. Sci. Service Geol. Survey Map and Chart Ser. 1. Overlies Forge Hollow shale ; underlies unnamed dolomite.
A Dictionary of Geography (2015)
by Susan Mayhew
When the river breaks through this narrow stretch of land, the old meander becomes a temporary lake; oxbow lakes quickly fill up and become hollows in the landscape. Rasmussen and Ossa (2011) Phys. Geog. 32, 6,497 report that oxbow ...
by Graham Harvey, Robert J. Wallis
Oxford, UK: Oxbow, 2010. Gyrus Orbitalis. “On Prehistoric Rock Art and Psychedelic Experiences,” 2000. Available online at www.dreamflesh.com/ essays/rockpsych. Hedeager, L. “Split Bodies in the Late Iron Age/Viking Age of Scandinavia.
by John H. Rosser
Oxford: Oxbow, 2005. Brett, G., W. J. Macaulay, and R. B. K. Stevenson. The Great Palace of the ...
Encyclopedia of Prehistory (2012)
Volume 1: Africa by Peter N. Peregrine, Melvin Ember
Oxford: Oxbow Books, 83–105.
by Scott Elias, Cary Mock
Oxford: Oxbow;1995. Palaeolithic early 10. Fischer A. Atthe border ofhuman habitat: The late and Mesolithic in Scandinavia. In: Larsson L,ed.
by New York Academy of Sciences, Timothy M. Kusky
oxbow lake involved in uplifting and deforming mountains for the past several or tens of centuries. By the middle 1800s the processes involved in the formation of mountains became known as orogeny. Early ideas suggested that ...
by S.E. Stiegeler
2: As a result of the pattern of erosion and deposition, meander migrates as shown oxbow lake (cutoff). A crescent-shaped lake that was formerly part of a river meander. Oxbow lakes are typical features of meandering rivers, and result from ...
by Jacqueline Smith
1: Pattern of erosion and deposition in a meandering reach erosion erosion erosion erosion deposition deposition oxbow oxbow oxbow Fig. 2: As a result of the pattern of erosion and deposition, meander migrates as shown Fig. 3: In a storm, ...
by EPUB 2-3
OxBow. Incident. 1940 Work Author: Walter Van Tilburg Clark Walter Van Tilburg Clark's riveting story of the lynching of innocent men is a Western without heroes. The story is narrated by Art Croft,a cowboy who has been tending cattle onthe ...
by Robert Latimer Bates, Julia A. Jackson
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Oxbow
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Oxbow
Click on an item to view that photo:
Yellow River Oxbows
Wisconsin State Natural Area #361
Yellow River Wildlife Area
Photo credit: wackybadger
Photo credit: igb
Photo credit: Roland Klose
Photo credit: Seth Tisue
Photo credit: Hitchster
Photo credit: Seth Tisue
- USA - Wyoming - Grand Teton NP - Oxbow Bend
Photo credit: Harshil.Shah
- Icey oxbow
Photo credit: linznix
- Snake River Oxbow Dam
Photo credit: Sam Beebe
- Skagit River oxbow
Photo credit: Sam Beebe
- Oxbow pond
Barnaby Slough wildlife area
Photo credit: Hunda
- OXBOW BEND
Oxbow Bend, Grand Tetons
Photo credit: tombabich24
- Oxbow Cedar
Photo credit: lumachrome
- Oxbow Bend (Grand Tetons National Park)
Photo credit: doublejwebers
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Oxbow
Video shows what oxbow means. A U-shaped piece of wood used as a collar for an ox, the upper parts fastened to its yoke. A meander in a river, the land ...
View more videos about Oxbow lake.
See also the pronunciation examples of Oxbow!
Quotes about Oxbow
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'oxbow"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of O1X8B3O1W4
The value of this 5-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Oxbow to see it in context!