On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun passeriformes
What does passeriformes mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- largest order of birds comprising about half the known species; rooks; finches; sparrows; tits; warblers; robins; wrens; swallows; etc.; the four suborders are Eurylaimi and Tyranni and Menurae and Oscines or Passeres
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Passeriformes: order Passeriformes
- more generic term: animal order = the order of animals
- member of: Aves / class Aves = the class of birds
- passeriform bird / passerine = perching birds mostly small and living near the ground with feet having 4 toes arranged to allow for gripping the perch; most are songbirds
- suborder Passeres / suborder Oscines / Passeres / Oscines = two names for the suborder of typical songbirds
- suborder Menurae / Menurae = lyrebirds and scrubbirds
- suborder Eurylaimi / Eurylaimi = broadbills
- suborder Tyranni / Tyranni = New World flycatchers; antbirds; oven birds
- suborder Clamatores / Clamatores = used in some classification systems; a suborder or superfamily nearly coextensive with suborder Tyranni; Passeriformes having relatively simple vocal organs and little power of song
- family Troglodytidae / Troglodytidae = wrens
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Passeriformes
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Cabinet of Curiosities (2015)
Collecting and Understanding the Wonders of the Natural World by Gordon Grice
The order Passeriformes is a huge group containing more than five thousand species, many of which look very different from each other. The family Corvidae includes crows, ravens, jays, and magpies, among others.
Paleogene Fossil Birds (2009)
by Gerald Mayr
On the basis of our current knowledge of the fossil record, a Cretaceous diversification of, for example, crown group Galliformes, Psittaciformes, and Passeriformes is a highly unlikely assumption, so much the more so as crown group ...
by Paul A. Rees
See also MARTHA Passeriformes An order of birds: broadbills, pitas, ovenbirds, woodcreepers, tyrant flycatchers, and songbirds, e.g. lyrebirds, pipits, wrens, thrushes, sparrows, titmice, weavers, drongos, crows, bowerbirds, birds of paradise.
6000 Scientific Terms Explored and Explained by Michael Allaby
Passeriformes (passerines, perching birds) An order of birds that have feet with three toes pointing forward and one backward, allowing them to perch. The birds are small- or medium-sized, varied in plumage, and with beaks adapted to a ...
Encyclopedia of Deserts (2017)
by Michael A. Mares
OVENBIRD OVENBIRD Member of a diverse group of small to mediumsized perching birds found exclusively in the New World south of central Mexico (family Furnariidae, order Passeriformes). Approximately 215 species in 56 genera are ...
Encyclopedia of Neuroscience (2009)
Volume One by Larry R. Squire
the order Passeriformes, or perching birds). Thus birdsongs, strictly defined, are the species-typical vocalizations that serve the function of mate ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
BLUEBIRD (Aves, Passeriformes). A term variously applied to different species ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
known as a host; the parasite benefits from the host, which it usually harms Passeriformes: the scientific name of the passerines (perching birds), the order of birds in which three toes on each foot point forward and one toe points backward, ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
BULBUL COMMON BULBUL class Aves order Passeriformes family Pycnonotidae genus and species Pycnonotus barbatus ALTERNATIVE NAME African bulbul WEIGHT Up to 1 % oz. (50 g) LENGTH Head to tail: TA in. (19 cm); wingspan: ...
Nelson's Encyclopaedia (1907)
Everybody's Book of Reference ...
See PASSERIFoRMEs. Passeriformes, PASSERINE or PERCHING BIRDs, an order of birds which includes more than half the known forms. Among the peculiarities are ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Passeriformes
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Passeriformes
Click on an item to view that photo:
Passeriformes sp., fledgling, Potoroo Palace, Merimbula, NSW, 14 January 2014
Photo credit: dhobern
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of P3A1S1S1E1R1I1F4O1R1M3E1S1
The value of this 13-letter word is 20 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Passeriformes to find many related words and phrases!