On this page:
- Definition of the noun pennsylvania
- Phrases with Pennsylvania
- Printed books with definitions for Pennsylvania
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pennsylvania
- Photos about Pennsylvania
- Videos about Pennsylvania
- Quotes about Pennsylvania
- Scrabble value of P3E1N1N1S1Y4L1V4A1N1I1A1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun pennsylvania
What does pennsylvania mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Pennsylvania: Keystone State / PA / Pa.
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; Mid-Atlantic states = a region of the eastern United States comprising New York and New Jersey and Pennsylvania and Delaware and Maryland
- University of Pennsylvania / Penn = a university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Allentown = a city in eastern Pennsylvania
- Altoona = a town in central Pennsylvania
- Bethlehem = a town in eastern Pennsylvania on the Lehigh River to the northwest of Philadelphia
- Erie = a port city on Lake Erie in northwestern Pennsylvania
- Gettysburg = a small town in southern Pennsylvania
- capital of Pennsylvania / Harrisburg = capital of Pennsylvania
- Chester = a city of southeastern Pennsylvania on the Delaware river
- City of Brotherly Love / Philadelphia = the largest city in Pennsylvania; located in the southeastern part of the state on the Delaware river; site of Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed
- Pittsburgh = a city in southwestern Pennsylvania where the confluence of the Allegheny River and Monongahela River forms the Ohio River; long an important urban industrial area
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- Allegheny River / Allegheny = a river that rises in Pennsylvania and flows north into New York and then back south through Pennsylvania again to join the Monongahela River at Pittsburgh which is the beginning of the Ohio River
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Lehigh River = a river in eastern Pennsylvania that flows southeast into the Delaware River
- Monongahela River / Monongahela = a river that rises in northern West Virginia and flows north into Pennsylvania where it joins the Allegheny River at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River
- Susquehanna River / Susquehanna = a river in the northeastern United States that rises in New York and flows southward through Pennsylvania and Maryland into Chesapeake Bay
- one of the British colonies that formed the United States
- a university in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of Pennsylvania: Penn / University of Pennsylvania
- instance of: university = establishment where a seat of higher learning is housed, including administrative and living quarters as well as facilities for research and teaching
- part of: Keystone State / PA / Pa. = a Mid-Atlantic state
- member of: Ivy League = a league of universities and colleges in the northeastern United States that have a reputation for scholastic achievement and social prestige
- Pennsylvania, officially the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, is a U.S. state that is located in the Northeastern and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States, and the Great Lakes region. The state borders Delaware to the southeast, Maryland to the south, West Virginia to the southwest, Ohio to the west, Lake Erie and Ontario, Canada to the northwest, New York to the north and New Jersey to the east. The Appalachian Mountains run through the middle of the state.
- Pennsylvania is a small village in South Gloucestershire, England. It is situated on the A46 near the historic cities of Bristol and Bath.
- also known as Pennsylvania, South Gloucestershire
- part of United Kingdom
- Pennsylvania: The steamboat Pennsylvania was a side wheeler steamboat which suffered a boiler explosion in the Mississippi River and sank at Ship Island near Memphis, Tennessee, on June 13, 1858.
- also known as Pennsylvania Steamboat
There are other places with in their name, like Mars Pennsylvania, Hotel Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Avenue, Pennsylvania Station, Western Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Route 74, Pennsylvania Township, Province of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State Capitol, University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal, State Museum of Pennsylvania, York College of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University, Ashes scattered in Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Culinary Institute, Pennsylvania National Fire Museum, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania, Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Pennsylvania College of Technology.
- "Pennsylvania" is the official state song of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The song was written and composed by Eddie Khoury and Ronnie Bonner and serves as the official song for all public purposes. State Representative Frank L. Oliver introduced the bill for the song, and it was adopted by the General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Robert P. Casey on November 29, 1990.
- "Pennsylvania" is Pere Ubu's eleventh studio album. The album marks Tom Herman's return to Pere Ubu's studio work after a twenty-year absence.
- "Pennsylvania" is a book by Victoria Sherrow.
- also known as "The Thirteen Colonies - Pennsylvania (The Thirteen Colonies)", The Thirteen Colonies - Pennsylvania
- "Pennsylvania" is a book by Kay Cornelius.
- genres: Romance novel, Fiction
- "Pennsylvania" is a book by Robert I. Vexler.
- "Pennsylvania" is a book by Sylvester Kirby Stevens.
- also known as "Pennsylvania: a students' guide to localized history"
- Pennsylvania a.k.a. SS Pennsylvania was an iron passenger-cargo steamship built by William Cramp & Sons in 1872. The first of a series of four Pennsylvania-class vessels and the lead ship in her class, Pennsylvania and her three sister ships - Ohio, Indiana and Illinois - were the largest iron ships ever built in the United States at the time of their construction, and amongst the first to be fitted with compound steam engines. They were also the first ships to challenge British dominance of the transatlantic trade since the American Civil War.
- read more about SS Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania: A state in the mid-atlantic United States. Its capital is Harrisburg.
Phrases with Pennsylvania
Phrases starting with the word Pennsylvania:
- Pennsylvania Rush
- pennsylvania dutch
- Pennsylvania Sedge
- Pennsylvania Lucine
- Pennsylvania Catchfly
- Pennsylvania Clubmoss
- Pennsylvania Hawthorn
- Pennsylvania Knotweed
- Pennsylvania Buttercup
- Pennsylvania Dung Moss
- Pennsylvania Pellitory
- Pennsylvania Saxifrage
- Pennsylvania Smartweed
- Pennsylvania Blackberry
- Pennsylvania Cinquefoil
- Pennsylvania Bittercress
Phrases ending with the word Pennsylvania:
Other phrase containing the word Pennsylvania:
Printed books with definitions for Pennsylvania
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Increased price of coal (1920)
Hearings ... 66th Cong., 1st sess. pursuant to S. Res. 126, directing the Committee on Interstate Commerce to hold hearings in order to make inquiry into the causes which have brought about the enormous increase in the market price of coal and to report its findings and recommendations with a view to congressional or executive action ... by United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on Interstate Commerce
Central Pennsylvania is a complex district. There is some very good coal produced up there and there is some very poor coal. There is more of the poor coal than of the good coal. The poor coal went off in price and the higher-grade coal went ...
The Hotel World (1919)
The Hotel and Travelers Journal
The most notable thing about the lobby, lounging rooms and other public parts of the Pennsylvania is that immense crowds can be handled without confusion or congestion. That is not a necessary consequence of its size; the lobby, ...
or the Mississippi valley by Timothy Flint
Western Pennsylvania is a manufacturing region, and along with Ohio, is the New England of the West, The people bring down the Alleghany, clear and fine pine plank ; delivering them along the whole course of the Ohio, and sending great ...
Two Men With A Mission (2007)
by J.E. Hall
Especially you, Leo, since Pennsylvania is a long way from New Mexico. As you' ve ...
Ideal Community for Orphans by John F. Halbleib
There are no other beneficiaries of the Trust outside those two groups, other than pursuant to the legal fiction that the Attorney General of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is a beneficiary of the Trust so as to insure consistent enforcement of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Pennsylvania
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Pennsylvania
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jjandames
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Pennsylvania
Click on an item to play that video:
- Pennsylvania meaning and pronunciation
Better than your state. Sure, the roads suck, but not as bad as parts of Kentucky. Sure, the people can be dumb, but not as dumb as in Alabama. Sure, the ...
- Terminology for Study of Evolution - Sarah Tishkoff (U. Pennsylvania)
- An Explanation of the Foreclosure Process in Pennsylvania
There are a lot of misconceptions about what happens when your home is in foreclosure. Attorney Ken Steidl explains the process in an understandable manner ...
- Pennsylvania Meaning
Video shows what Pennsylvania means. A state of the United States of America. Capital: Harrisburg; largest city: Philadelphia.. The first, and historically largest, ...
- No Explanation for Pennsylvania's Purple Squirrel
- Pennsylvania Avenue Meaning
Video shows what Pennsylvania Avenue means. A street in Washington, D.C. that runs between the White House and the United States Capitol.
- The Language Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Learn about Khalid and Katherine's experience at TLC-Philadelphia as they share about the importance of learning English, living with an American homestay ...
- Speech Language Pathology Education in Pennsylvania | PA
- The Language Company in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Du hoc Dai Thien Son
See also the pronunciation examples of Pennsylvania!
Quotes about Pennsylvania
We are the second oldest state in the Union because too many of our young people are leaving Pennsylvania. They are leaving Pennsylvania behind for opportunities elsewhere. (Edward G. Rendell)
more quotes about pennsylvania...
Scrabble value of P3E1N1N1S1Y4L1V4A1N1I1A1
The value of this 12-letter word is 20 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Pennsylvania to see it in context!