Definition of Pieta
What does Pieta mean?
- a representation of the Virgin Mary mourning over the dead body of Jesus
- more generic: representation = a creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or something
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà" is a masterpiece of Renaissance sculpture by Michelangelo Buonarroti, housed in St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. It is the first of a number of works of the same theme by the artist. The statue was commissioned for the French cardinal Jean de Billheres, who was a representative in Rome. The sculpture, in Carrara marble, was made for the cardinal's funeral monument, but was moved to its current location, the first chapel on the right as one enters the basilica, in the 18th century. It is the only piece Michelangelo ever signed.
- begun in 1498 and completed in 1499 (514 years ago)
- media: marble
- genre: Christian art
- subjects: Pietà, Blessed Virgin Mary, Lamentation of Christ
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà" is the last painting by the Italian master Titian. It is housed in the Gallerie...
- completed in 1575 (438 years ago)
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà" is a painting by the Italian Renaissance artist Pietro Perugino, executed around 1483-1493, and housed in the Uffizi Gallery, Florence.
- begun in 1483 and completed in 1493 (520 years ago)
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà" is a painting by Spanish artist El Greco.
- also known as Lamentation of Christ
- begun in 1565 and completed in 1570 (443 years ago)
- media: tempera, panel
- genres: Religious image, History painting
- subjects: Lamentation of Christ, Pietà
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà" is a painting by Spanish artist José Ribera.
- completed in 1637 (376 years ago)
- media: oil paint
- artist: Jusepe de Ribera
- genres: History painting, Religious image
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Piet" is an artwork by Filippo Parodi.
"Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietá" is an award-nominated musical album of Milton Nascimento.
- award: 2003 - Latin Grammy Award for Best Brazilian Contemporary Pop Album nomination for Milton Nascimento
- "Pieta" a.k.a. "Pietà": «Пьета» — художественный фильм-триллер южнокорейского режиссёра Ким Ки Дука. Своё название...
- Pieta is a television daytime drama series that aired on ABS-CBN from October 27, 2008 to May 1, 2009.
- begun on October 27th, 2008 and completed on May 1st, 2009 (4 years ago)
- country: Philippines
- created by Carlo J. Caparas
- regular cast:
- genres: Action, Drama
- "Pieta" is a 1998 short film directed by Bruce Baillie.
Pieta a.k.a. Pietie Coetzee is a field hockey player from South Africa who was born in Bloemfontein. Nicknamed Pieta. she studied at the Rand Afrikaans University in Johannesburg, Gauteng, and represented her country at the 2000 and 2004 Summer Olympics.
- born on September 2nd, 1978 (34 years ago) in Bloemfonteion
- nationality: South Africa
- profession: Field hockey player
Pieta a.k.a. Pietà: Tal-Pietà is a small town located on the outskirts of Valletta, the capital city of Malta. Tal-Pietà is the suburb next-closest to the capital after Floriana. Its name is derived from Italian and signifies "mercy".
- Pieta a.k.a. Pietà is a Japanese josei yuri manga by Nanae Haruno. It was originally serialized in the manga magazine Young You, published by Shueisha. The chapters were collected into two tankōbon volumes, the first released on April 19, 2000 and the second on May 19, 2000. The second volume also contains a sequel short story, "A Week at the Beach," showing the main characters at a later time.
- Pieta a.k.a. Pietà is a collection of essays by the Hungarian-Swedish biologist, George Klein, first...
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions about Pieta
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Willi Apel
Delia Pieta del Turchini (1583). Nearly all the great Italian composers of the 17th and ...
Kassel Gallery ; photo, Manselt Avignon Pieta, now in the Louvre — to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias about Pieta
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Pieta
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: kittischoen
A pieta found in Holy Family Cemetery, Sugar Notch, PA. Shot on an overcast day using a Lensbaby Composer, plastic optic, starburst aperture.
Photo credit: John-Morgan
Michelangelo's Pieta in St Peter's, Rome.
Photo credit: jalodrome
- Kilcormac Pieta
The Kilcormac Pieta at the Church of the Nativity in Kilcormac was buried in the bog for 60 years to keep it safe during penal times.
The statue is from the 16th century.
Kilcormac, County Offaly, Ireland.
Photo credit: IrishFireside
- Pieta, Carlo Crivelli
Tempera on wood, gold ground.
This emotionally-charged image of the Pieta probably comes from the uppermost tier of an altarpiece Crivelli painted in 1476 for the church of San Domenico at Ascoli Piceno in the Marches. Known as the Demidoff altarpiece, it is widely considered Crivelli's masterpiece; the principal panels are in the National Gallery, London. Crivelli's art is a highly personal amalgam of ornamental motifs from Gothic practice and a naturalism characteristic of the Renaissance.
Crivelli, Italian, Venetian, active 1457-1493.
Photo credit: cruisingat60
- La Pieta
La Pieta on the Riva degli Schiavoni. From 1703 to 1740, Antonio Vivaldi was the music director in this orphanage.
Photo credit: TracyElaine
- Pieta Brown - Bo Ramsey 04-15-10 Temecula CA
This photo was after Pieta's set.
Photo credit: SD Dirk
- Florence Pieta
Florence Pieta called also Bandini Pieta
Florence, Duomo Museum
(What is missing?)
Photo credit: rjhuttondfw
- La Pieta
"The word Pieta means pity from the Greek word for "compassion" or "pity" and refers not, as often presumed to this specific work (Michelangelo actually did two other Pietas later in life, both of them unfinished) but to a traditional type of devotional image."...
Photo credit: sutrebor
Photo credit: Jim, the Photographer
- St. Patrick's Cathedral Pieta HDR
The Pieta sculpture in St. Patrick's Cathedral, NYC. Done in HDR
Photo credit: patrickhashley
- Replica of the Pieta
Inside St. Mary's - full-sized replica of the Pieta
Photo credit: StormKatt
Photo credit: dierk schaefer
Michelangelo's first major work at the age of 25. Inside St. Peter's basilica
Photo credit: jennicatpink
taken at Barcelona cathedral
Photo credit: Paul Stevenson
Malate Church, Manila
Photo credit: girlpixieshoot
Scrabble value of P3I1E1T1A1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page