The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun policeman:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun policeman
- Phrases with Policeman
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Policeman
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Policeman
- Photos about Policeman
- Video language resources about Policeman
- Quotes about Policeman
- Scrabble value of P3O1L1I1C3E1M3A1N1
- Anagrams of POLICEMAN
- Share this page
Policeman is sometimes a misspelling of policemen.
The word policeman is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun policeman
What does policeman mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: policemen
- a member of a police force
- examples: A policeman ran past. | The thief ran away at the sight of a policeman. | The thief disguised himself as a policeman. | The man aimed a gun at the policeman. | The car ran down the policeman. | The policeman was confronted by the angry mob. | The policeman went over the room in search for evidence. | The policeman cut me short in my talk. | The policeman observed the man open the door. | The policeman promised to investigate the matter.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of policeman: officer / police officer
- more generic terms: law officer / lawman / peace officer = an officer of the law
- more specific terms:
- bobby = an informal term for a British policeman
- copper / bull / fuzz / cop / pig = uncomplimentary terms for a policeman
- police captain / police chief / captain = a policeman in charge of a precinct
- police constable / constable = a police officer of the lowest rank
- police detective / investigator / detective / tec = a police officer who investigates crimes
- gendarme = a French policeman
- inspector = a high ranking police officer
- motorcycle policeman / motorcycle cop / speed cop = a policeman who rides a motorcycle
- police matron / policewoman = a woman policeman
- Mountie = colloquial term for a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- shoofly = an undercover police officer who investigates other policemen
- traffic cop = a policeman who controls the flow of automobile traffic
- trooper = a mounted police officer
- state trooper / trooper = a state police officer
- member of: constabulary / law / police / police force = the force of policemen and officers
Alternative definition of the noun policeman
- A member of a police force, especially one who is male.
- [chemistry] A glass rod capped at one end with rubber, used in a chemistry laboratory for gravimetric analysis.
- synonym: rubber policeman
Specialised definition of the noun policeman
Glossary of sports / hockey / ice hockey
is usually the most penalized player on a team; he has the job of protecting his teammates from harm; generally a larger player who is not afraid of any fight
- synonym: enforcer
- "Policeman" is a 2011 drama film written and directed by Nadav Lapid.
- also known as Policjant, A rend őre, Ha-shoter, Ha'shoter, O Polícia, Hashoter, Le Policier
- country: Israel
- languages: Hebrew Language, English Language
- director: Nadav Lapid
- producer: Itai Tamir
- art direction by Avi Fahima
- written by Nadav Lapid
- Tracy Abramovich
- Ben Adam as Yotam
- Michael Aloni as Nathanael
- Roy Arad
- Meital Barda as Nili
- Ariel Barone
- Noam Boker
- Moris Cohen
- David Dector
- Miri Fabian
- Shlomi Hayun
- Gal Hoyberger as Ariel
- Yiftach Klein as Yaron
- Jenny-Joy Kreindl
- Itamar Malol
- Menashe Noy as Michael
- Michael Moshonov as Oded
- Yaara Pelzig as Shira
- Keren Mor
- Shaul Mizrahi as Hila
- Rona-Lee Shim'on as Hila's Father
- music by Aviv Aldema
- genre: Drama
- released on
- read more about Policeman (film)
- "Policeman" is a film directed by Tomu Uchida.
- also known as Keisatsukan, Police
- country: Japan
- rating: G
- released on (81 years ago)
- "Policeman" is a 1970 film directed by Eric Marquis.
- "Policeman" a.k.a. "Police Story" is a 1979 South Korean film directed by Lee Doo-yong. It was chosen as Best Film at the Grand Bell Awards.
- read more about Police Story
- Policeman is a fictional character from Ghost in the Shell: Solid State Society.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2012 film Karakara.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.
- Policeman: Policaman is a fictional character from the film The Women From The Sea.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Hugo.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1985 film The Goonies.
- Policeman is a fictional character in the 2012 film Maniac.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1915 film Ontmaskerd..
- Policeman is a fictional character in the 2002 film A Walk to Remember.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1964 film 491.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1964 film 491.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1986 film Aladdin.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1982 film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.
- Policeman is a fictional film character.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1965 film 002 Operation Moon.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2013 film The Future.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2012 film Ginger and Rosa.
- Policeman: Policeman/cab driver is a fictional character from the 1967 film Le Samouraï.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1961 film Scarlet Sails.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1991 film Prince of Shadows.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1948 film Flight Into France.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2013 film Love Eternal.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1966 film The She Beast.
- Policeman a.k.a. Björk is a fictional character from the Bill Bergson series.
- read more about Björk
- Policeman is a fictional character in the 1925 short comedy film Chess Fever.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1930 film The Blue Angel.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1980 film The Shining.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2011 film Bora Bora.
- Policeman a.k.a. Murat is a fictional character from the 2012 film Mold.
- read more about Murat
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1999 film Fuks.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1976 film The Cop in Blue Jeans.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1964 film I Soferina.
- Policeman is a fictional film character.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1981 film Rasmus and the Tramp.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 1989 anime film Patlabor: The Movie.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2009 film Bhramaram.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the 2013 film Aman Ki Asha.
- Policeman is a fictional character from the film Rashomon.
Phrases with Policeman
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Policeman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
American Kinship (1980)
A Cultural Account by David M. Schneider
The policeman is a person in the police department, which is part of government. A judge is a member of the court, which is part of government and the law, while the priest is a member of a church, which is the ...
Social Essays by LeRoi Jones (Amiri Baraka)
The American policeman is the foulest social category in the world today, whether domestic, e.g., “New York's Finest,” or international (Humanitarians dropping out of the clouds, etc.). You may see a barefoot South Carolina Negro, just grinning ...
Farther Away (2012)
Essays by Jonathan Franzen
The Laughing Policeman is a journey through real-world ugliness toward the self -sufficient beauties of good police work. The book is fueled by the tension between the dystopic vision of its authors and the essential optimism ofits genre.
A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Gypsies' Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology (1897)
by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
Policeman (popular), a fly, especially the " blue - bottle " fly, which has given its name to a policeman. Also a sneak, a mean fellow. (Tailors), a man deputed to remind a new-comer that it is customary for new hands to contribute a certain sum ...
by James Pustejovsky, Pierrette Bouillon, Hitoshi Isahara, Kyoko Kanzaki, Chungmin Lee
with the corrupt policeman. b. The bank was robbed by the gangster (together) with the corrupt policeman. c. *The bank was robbed (together) with the corrupt policeman. The LS for all of the sentences ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Policeman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Policeman
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: melandory
Photo credit: llee_wu
Petra - Jordan
Photo credit: Marco Zanferrari
Photo credit: santicas
Policeman with a splattered visor at the March 26 protests at Oxford Circus
Photo credit: Andrew._Griffin
Photo credit: 1000 paper clips
Photo credit: Philippe L PhotoGraphy
Photo credit: zolakoma
Photo credit: Mr Moss
CCPD kept a watchful eye on Bayfest activities.
Photo credit: Jay Phagan
- Policeman's Creek, Canmore, Alberta, Canada
Photo credit: Taylor and Kevin
- Old Policeman & Fireman Uniform
Photo credit: Ү
- Policeman on the street
Photo credit: SnakeHole
- Wow! This is a very charming policeman...
Photo credit: Roman.Yakushin
- Policeman, Tulgit
Photo credit: Rod Waddington
- Little policeman
Photo credit: currybet
- Afghani Policeman
Photo credit: nicksarebi
- Policeman inspecting rugs, Puerto Rico
Title: [Policeman inspecting rugs, Puerto Rico]
Creator: Robert Yarnall Richie
Place: Puerto Rico
Physical Description: 1 transparency: film, color; 10 x 13 cm.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Policeman
Click on an item to play that video:
- Give A Slang Name For Policeman - Family Feud Flashback
- Policeman Meaning
Video shows what policeman means. A member of a police force, especially one who is male.. A glass rod capped at one end with rubber, used in a chemistry ...
- Spot the verb - policeman
Verbs spotting speaking and listening exercise. Run and chasing.
- Mind Ur Language Policeman
See also the pronunciation examples of Policeman!
Quotes about Policeman
Scrabble value of P3O1L1I1C3E1M3A1N1
The value of this 9-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine