On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun psittacidae
What does psittacidae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- coextensive with the order Psittaciformes
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Psittacidae: family Psittacidae
- more generic term: bird family = a family of warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- member of: order Psittaciformes / Psittaciformes = an order of birds including parrots and amazons and cockatoos and lorikeets and lories and macaws and parakeets
- genus Psittacus / Psittacus = type genus of the Psittacidae: usually restricted to the African grey
- genus Amazona / Amazona = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Ara / Ara = macaws
- genus Nestor / Nestor = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Cacatua / genus Kakatoe / Cacatua / Kakatoe = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Nymphicus / Nymphicus = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Agapornis / Agapornis = a genus of Psittacidae
- subfamily Loriinae / Loriinae = lories
- genus Conuropsis / Conuropsis = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Melopsittacus / Melopsittacus = a genus of Psittacidae
- genus Psittacula / Psittacula = a genus of Psittacidae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Psittacidae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (2 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
(Psittaciformes, Psittacoidea, Psittacidae, Arinae, Androglossini), Ateles belzebuth (long-haired ...
by Henk Courtz
lal white-eyed parakeet [Aratinga leucophthalmus (Psittacidae)] [Ahlbr. kerekeru] keren [EW]/interj/ jingle-jingle kerenka [EVW] ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
The 18 species of macaws include the largest members of the parrot family, Psittacidae. They live in tropical America, from central Mexico south through Central America to Paraguay and northern Argentina. Macaws have massive bills , the ...
Embracing All the Terms Used in Art, Science and Literature by John Craig (F.G.S. of Glasgow.)
PsittacIDAE, sit-tasse-de, s. (psittacus, one of the genera.) An extensive and highly interesting family of Scansorial birds, ...
A New Universal Etymological, Technological, and Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language, Embracing All the Terms Used in Science, Literature and Art (1858)
by John CRAIG (F.G.S.)
PsittAcIDAE, sit-tasse-de, s. (psittacus, one of the genera.) An extensive and highly interesting family of Scansorial birds, ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
Psittacidae Vertebrate Zoology, the bird family of parrots, lories, macaws, and cockatoos; a diverse family of the order Pisttaciformes characterized by a short, deep, strongly hooked bill, a large fleshy tongue, and often colorful plumage; found ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
Psittacidae, with the sub- families tuinae, Arinae, Platycercinae, Psittacinae, Lorinae, and Nestoriuae. Garrod (Proc. Zool. Soc., 1874, pp. 586–98) made them a sub-order, or cohort, with ...
Encyclopedia of Food Grains (2015)
by Colin W Wrigley, Harold Corke, Koushik Seetharaman, Jonathan Faubion
to large parrots (Psittacidae), birds are a constant problem to sunflower on all continents. In commercial birdseed mixtures, sunflower is the preferred seed, so it is not surprising that the crop is beset by ...
A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People ... by D. T. Stuart
Psittacidae . . . or parrots ...
by Tim Williams (Ph. D.)
a parrot (Psittacidae) psoa, (Gr. ) muscles of ...
Parrots (family Psittacidae, especially genus Amazonia): Pets, feathers. ' Suckerfish (Echeneis naucrates): Capture of turtles, manatee, and fish. . . . . DRAMA. Native American ritual was carried out because of the Domesticated Plants and ...
by Shatrughna Prasad Sinha
Psittacidae. The two Ethiopia group endemics (Poicephalus flavifrons and Agapornis taranta) both have immediate relatives in species groups within Africa. Poicephalus is a purely Afrotropical genus, but although Agapornis is too ( occurring ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
BUDGERIGAR BUDGERIGAR 1 1 \ss Aves ORDER Psittaciformes family Psittacidae genus and species Melopsittacus undulatus ALTERNATE E NAMES Budgerygah; betcherrygah; canary parrot; lovebird; flightbird WEIGHT Usually about 1 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Psittacidae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Psittacidae
Click on an item to view that photo:
A'Famosa Animal World Safari, Melaka
Photo credit: Ton MJ
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of P3S1I1T1T1A1C3I1D2A1E1
The value of this 11-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Psittacidae to find many related words and phrases!