On this page:
- Definition of the noun queue
- Definition of the verb queue
- Phrases with Queue
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Queue
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Queue
- Photos about Queue
- Video language resources about Queue
- Quotes about Queue
- Scrabble value of Q10U1E1U1E1
- Share this page
Fun fact! The word "queue" is pronounced the same way when the last 4 letters are removed.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun queue
What does queue mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: queues
- a line of people or vehicles waiting for something
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of queue: waiting line
- more generic word: line = a formation of people or things one behind another
- more specific terms:
- bread line / breadline = a queue of people waiting for free food
- checkout line = a queue of people waiting to pay for purchases
- chow line = a queue of people waiting for food to be served
- gas line = a queue of vehicles waiting to purchase gasoline
- reception line = a line of people (hosts and guests of honor) who welcome the guests at a reception party
- ticket line = a queue of people waiting to buy tickets
- unemployment line = a queue of people waiting for employment
- (information processing) an ordered list of tasks to be performed or messages to be transmitted
- domain: informatics / information processing / information science / IP
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic words: list / listing = a database containing an ordered array of items
- more specific term: push-down queue = a queue in which the last item to go in is the first item to come out
- a braid of hair at the back of the head
Alternative definition of the noun queue
- [heraldry] An animal's tail. [definition from 16th c.]
- synonym: line [North America]
- [context: now historical] A men's hairstyle whose primary attribute is a braid or ponytail at the back of the head, such as that worn by men in Imperial China. [definition from 18th c.]
- A line of people, vehicles or other objects, in which one at the front end is dealt with first, the one behind is dealt with next, and so on, and which newcomers join at the opposite end (the back). [definition from 19th c.]
- A waiting list or other means of organizing people or objects into a first-come-first-served order.
- [computing] A data structure in which objects are added to one end, called the tail, and removed from the other, called the head (- a FIFO queue). The term can also refer to a LIFO queue or stack where these ends coincide. [definition from 20th c.]
Definition of the verb queue
What does queue mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: queued | queuing / queueing (less preferred form) | queues
- form a queue, form a line, stand in line
Alternative definition of the verb queue
- [British] To put oneself or itself at the end of a waiting line.
- [British] To arrange themselves into a physical waiting queue.
- [computing] To add to a queue data structure.
- To fasten the hair into a queue.
- "Queue" is a 2017 drama film directed by Sakkir Madathil.
- "Queue" won an Honourable Mention at the 9th Australian Film Institute Awards for Best Advertising Under 5 Mins.
- "Queue" is a musical album of Anklebiter.
- released on
- "Queue" is a composition.
- "Queue" is a musical album of Juno6.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Queue" is a musical album of MIMEO.
- released in (17 years ago)
- Queue: In computer science, a queue is a particular kind of abstract data type or collection in which the entities in the collection are kept in order and the principal operations on the collection are the addition of entities to the rear terminal position, known as enqueue, and removal of entities from the front terminal position, known as dequeue. This makes the queue a First-In-First-Out data structure. In a FIFO data structure, the first element added to the queue will be the first one to be removed. This is equivalent to the requirement that once a new element is added, all elements that were added before have to be removed before the new element can be removed. Often a peek or front operation is also entered, returning the value of the front element without dequeuing it. A queue is an example of a linear data structure, or more abstractly a sequential collection.
- also known as طابور, 队列
- Queue is a print ad.
Phrases with Queue
Phrases starting with the word Queue:
Phrases ending with the word Queue:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Queue
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Embedded systems (2003)
architecture, programming and design by Raj Kamal
A data structure, called a queue, is another important programming element. [ A queue means an allotted memory block from which a data element is always retrieved in FIFO mode.] Using the queues, the bytes are sent on a network or to a ...
Data Structures Using C (2013)
Queue is a linear data structure in which items are inserted at one end called ' Rear' and deleted from the other end called 'Front';. Queues are based on the First -In-First-Out (FIFO) principle that means the data item that is inserted first in the ...
by J. B. Dixit
SUMMARY A queue is an ordered list in which all insertions take place at one end, the rear, where as all deletion takes place at other end, the front. Therefore, 'Queues' work on the concept of First In First Out (FIFO) principle. A queue is a ...
Third International Conference, Scale-Space 2001, Vancouver, Canada, July 7-8, 2001. Proceedings by Michael Kerckhove
A hierarchical queue is the ideal tool to implement floodings . A hierarchical queue is a series of queues (working on a first in first out basis), each with a priority level ; lower altitudes meaning higher priority. A pixel entering the ...
SPEC Benchmark Workshop 2009, Austin, TX, USA, January 25, 2009, Proceedings by David Kaeli, Kai Sachs
The M/G/1 queue is a classical model used to represent a large number of real- life computer and networking applications. In this note, we show that, for coefficients of variation of the service time in excess of one, higher- order properties of the ...
The Ruby Way (2015)
Solutions and Techniques in Ruby Programming by Hal Fulton, André Arko
A queue is a first-in, first-out ( FIFO) data ...
Computer Algorithms C++ (1997)
C++ and Pseudocode Versions by Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, Sanguthevar Rajasekaran
A queue is an ordered list in which all insertions take place at one end, the rear, whereas all deletions take place at the...
The Inside of Outsourcing (2012)
by John LaBella
The queue is an electronic mailbox accessible by the Support Team. The ticket is opened and the Support person reviews the description of the incident. The Support person may need to contact the user directly for more information and/or can ...
Dictionary of phrase and fable. [A dictionary of English literature] by W.D. Adams, with additions (1885)
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Q Q means the " tail letter " (French, queue, a tail). This letter, which is 0 with a toil , was borrowed from the French. Q in a corner. Something not soen at 6rst, but subsequently brought to notice. The thong to which seals are attached in legal ...
Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Queue. Gare Ta queue des Allemands. Before you quarrel, count the consequences." (fire QUERELLE.) QHOIIX. The seneschal of King Arthur. Qney Calves are dear Veal. Quey calves are female calves, which should be kept and reared for ...
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
queue qualifyingservicequalifying service /kwɒlifaiiŋ svis/ noun the period for which an employee must be employed by a company before becoming eligible to join a group pension scheme qualifyingsharesqualifying shares /kwɒlifaiiŋ ʃeəz/ ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Queue
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Queue
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Cristiano Betta
Photo credit: DWalster
Photo credit: Lars Plougmann
This was the queue to enter Anne Frank's House
Photo credit: Ankur's
Photo credit: Leonidas-from-XIV
Photo credit: Mr Moss
Photo credit: Banalities
another scanned slide from Nepal
Photo credit: jenny downing
Photo credit: Phliar
Free high-resolution pictures you can use on your personal and commercial projects.
Click on an image to download the high-resolution version. New awesome pictures added weekly!
All pictures were captured by Ryan McGuire of Bells Design and free of copyright restrictions.
Photo credit: Free for Commercial Use
Uploaded via Instagram instagr.am/p/MdeDl6scaM/
Photo credit: roblawton
- Pasta queue, students
Photo credit: olleolleolle
- Messy morning queue
Photo credit: Banalities
- Comiket 77: Queue for major circles
Photo credit: HIRATA Yasuyuki
- Railway queue
Photo credit: Dushan and Miae
View more pictures about The Queue.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Queue
Click on an item to play that video:
- Queue Meaning
Video shows what queue means. An animal's tail.. A men's hairstyle whose primary attribute is a braid or ponytail at the back of the head, such as that worn by ...
- Definition of Work Queue Categories
This video defines and calls attention to categories that both Borrowing and Lending libraries using the WorldCat Navigator Staff Interface (NRE) will want to be ...
- Lec 12 Queue ADT Definition and Implementation
- Programming and Data structures PDS Lecture 12 Queue ADT Definition and Implementation
- The Queue: Like learning a new language!
Xohm, Bacn, and Tafiti: three new tech terms you and your friends will be throwing around in no time. Find out what they mean, and why America is squirming.
- 05A.2 Collections richtig anwenden, Array, List, Queue, Stack, Dictionary
Gesamtliste aller Videos, samt Suchfunktion...
- Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) Motor Registry Ticket Queue Machine Tongan Language Option
This ticket queue machine at Ingleburn provides an option for Tongan.
- ESL-One Katowice Queue 15.3.2015
- PRTrafficBooster Update - Manage Queue, Assign tags/description to images and more
- Wasting time in a queue, Public speech 2 in ESL by Alex & Ilona
See also the pronunciation examples of Queue!
Quotes about Queue
There is no queue at the gate of Patience.
more quotes about queue...
Scrabble value of Q10U1E1U1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Queue to see it in context!