Quit appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Vexed funky camp juggler quit show biz. (32 letters)
- Boxers had zap of gay jock love, quit women. (Each consonant used only once; 34 letters)
- "Quit beer," vows dizzy, puking, Michael J. Fox. (34 letters)
On this page:
- Definition of the verb quit
- Phrases with Quit
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quit
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quit
- Usage statistics about quit
- Photos about Quit
- Video language resources about Quit
- Quotes about Quit
- Scrabble value of Q10U1I1T1
- Share this page
Quit is sometimes a misspelling of quite.
The word quit is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb quit
What does quit mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections:
|simple past||past participle||present participle||third-person singular|
|primarily used in British English||quitted||quitted||quitting||quits|
- put an end to a state or an activity
- examples: Quit teasing your little brother | They quit moving
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Wilma completed the assignment [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with -ing] She quit smoking
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of quit: cease / discontinue / give up / lay off / stop
- more specific terms:
- knock off / drop = stop pursuing or acting
- leave off = stop using
- sign off = cease broadcasting; get off the air
- withdraw / retire = withdraw from active participation
- pull the plug = prevent from happening or continuing
- close off / shut off = stem the flow of
- cheese = used in the imperative
- call it a day / call it quits = stop doing what one is doing
- break = give up
- give up or retire from a position
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] He resigned [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Source] I resigned my position [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] from [Source, not sentential clause] I resigned from the military
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of quit: leave office / resign / step down
- more generic terms: depart / leave / pull up stakes = remove oneself from an association with or participation in
- more specific terms:
- go away or leave
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of quit: depart / take leave
- more generic terms: go away / go forth / leave = go away from a place
- more specific terms:
- turn away from; give up
- give up in the face of defeat of lacking hope; admit defeat
Alternative definition of the verb quit
- [transitive, archaic] To pay (a debt, fine etc.).
- [transitive, obsolete] To repay (someone) for (something).
- [transitive, obsolete] To repay, pay back (a good deed, injury etc.).
- [reflexive, archaic] To conduct oneself, acquit oneself, to behave (in a specified way).
- [transitive] To abandon, renounce (a thing).
- [transitive] To leave (a place).
- [transitive, intransitive] To resign from (a job, office, position, etc.).
- [transitive, intransitive] To stop, give up (an activity) (usually + gerund or verbal noun).
- [transitive, computing] To close (an application).
- past of quit
"Quit" is a 2010 romance film directed by Dick Rude.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- production design by Cecilia Montiel
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Quit" is a musical album of Courtney Fairchild.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Quit" is a composition.
- music by Brad Mehldau
Quit is a musical group.
- also known as Qult
- album: "Revolution"
Phrases with Quit
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Quit
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by A.F. Freed
quit is a performative and not an aspectualizer. In it the action is considered to take place by virtue of the sentence's being uttered. (11) The Russians threatened to quit if the referee didn't call more penalties for the ...
A Crisis of Complacency by Ian Ronald Johnston, Carlyn Muir, Eric William Howard
For a smoker, an economic incentive to quit is an increase in the tax on tobacco, a social incentive is the increasingly widespread ban on smoking in public places , while a moral incentive is the praise received from peers for refraining from ...
Virtual Futures (2005)
Cyberotics, Technology and Posthuman Pragmatism by Joan Broadhurst Dixon, Eric Cassidy
Speed is a drug, and the desire to get quit is the Chronic illness which riddles humanity alone. Following Sun Tzu, those who move fastest live longest. If speed is the essence of war, and technology is the enemy, then we are already dead.
by Jeff Wolf
The main reason people quit is the manager's behavior. A quality leader is the key factor in attracting and retaining top talent. There is no shortage of good employees today; however, there is a shortage of inspirational leaders and inspiring ...
Dare to Be Square Quilting (2010)
A Block-by-Block Guide to Making Patchwork and Quilts by Boo Davis
cinch to personalize with your own palettes and fabric You can further break the mold by using project tips on customization and resong Because of ther square and rectange compositions, every quit is a simple to stoch, straight-seam dream.
by Thomas Edlyne TOMLINS
Where a tenant, by lease, continues to hold after the expiration of it, as tenant at will, and assigns to another, the tenancy of the assignee shall be held to commence at the day on which it commenced under the lease; and a notice to quit on that ...
by John Houston Merrill, Charles Frederic Williams, Thomas Johnson Michie, David Shephard Garland
Notice to Quit. — The commonest method of terminating the tenancy is by notice to quit given in the manner usually provided by statute, and for default in the payment of rent or some other covenant of the lease.3 Where the lease provides that ...
No notice to quit is required in case of a tenant at will.1 Where an action is brought under the provisions of the statute to recover the possession of premises held by two co-tenants as tenants at will of the plaintiff, it is sufficient if a notice to quit ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Quit
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about quit
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb quit:
Photos about Quit
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: rebolyte
- Quit Wining
Condensation on a cold glass of wine on a hot day with refracted light from the garden.
Photo credit: Sprogz
- Quit Together
Photo credit: Random Retail
- Never quit exploring!
Photo credit: Haroon Bux
- Smoking Quit
Photo credit: emily792872
- Hey you -- quit it with the photos!
Photo credit: dcwriterdawn
- NEVER QUIT
Photo credit: FAKEGRIMLOCK
- Quit Forest Rally- Western Australia
Photo credit: thomasrdotorg
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Quit
Click on an item to play that video:
- Dota 2 Pub Tale - The Definition of Rage Quit
- Group Work Quit Meaning Mistakes
- Quit Meaning
Video shows what quit means. To pay (a debt, fine etc.).. To repay (someone) for (something).. To repay, pay back (a good deed, injury etc.).. quit pronunciation.
- Definition of Quit (Motivation)
- Khmer English Vocabulary | Quiet Quit Quite | for Cambodian
- Quit Sorry and explanation
- Homer Simpson and the new definition of Quit!
- The meaning of a rage quit
- Deadliest sins of language learning..Why most will quit too soon
why most all language acquisition attempts are failures..
- Quit Playing Games-Adverb Band Acoustic Cover Version
Quit Playing Games-Adverb Band Acoustic Cover Version Here's a rendition and the "Boy Band" side of Adverb featuring Dennis on vocals, Varrie on guitar, ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Quit!
Quotes about Quit
Scrabble value of Q10U1I1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Quit to see it in context!