On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun reptilia
What does reptilia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- class of cold-blooded air-breathing vertebrates with completely ossified skeleton and a body usually covered with scales or horny plates; once the dominant land animals
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Reptilia: class Reptilia
- more generic word: class = a taxonomic group containing one or more orders
- member of: Craniata / subphylum Craniata / subphylum Vertebrata / Vertebrata = fishes; amphibians; reptiles; birds
- reptilian / reptile = any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Reptilia including tortoises, turtles, snakes, lizards, alligators, crocodiles, and extinct forms
- subclass Anapsida / Anapsida = oldest known reptiles
- subclass Lepidosauria / Lepidosauria = diapsid reptiles: lizards; snakes
- subclass Archosauria / Archosauria = a large subclass of diapsid reptiles including: crocodiles; alligators; dinosaurs; pterosaurs; plesiosaurs; ichthyosaurs
- subclass Synapsida / Synapsida = extinct reptiles of the Permian to Jurassic considered ancestral to mammals
Alternative definition of the noun reptilia
- [plural of, reptilian] (Animals of the class Reptilia)
Reptilia is Canada's largest indoor reptile zoo, with 15,000 square feet of indoor exhibits featuring over 250 reptiles, amphibians and arachnids. It is located in Concord, Ontario, a community in the city of Vaughan.
- "Reptilia" is a song by The Strokes.
- music and lyrics by The Strokes
- "Reptilia" is a single by indie rock band The Strokes.
Reptilia is a Japanese horror manga written and illustrated by Kazuo Umezu. The manga, titled Hebishōjo in the original Japanese, is a series of three stories involving a shapeshifting snake-woman who haunts a Japanese village. It was originally published in 1965 by Kadokawa Shoten.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Reptilia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Microarray Analysis (2015)
Biochips and Eradication of all Diseases by Kal Sharma
The Reptilia is an ancient group that diverged from the evolutionary line that led to mammals more than 300 million years ago.
by William Francis Rocheleau
The Reptilia is a lower order than the birds but higher than the Batrachians and fishes. Repub'lic. See GoverNMENT, subhead Republic. Repub'lican Party. See PoliticAL PARTIES IN THE UNITED STATEs, subhead Republican Party. Resaca ...
by Edward Cresy
In the Newer Tertiary or Pliocene are found Zoophyta, Infusoria, Foraminifera, Mollusca acephala, Mollusca gasteropoda, Reptilia, Mammalia, &c. In the Middle Tertiary or Miocene, Zoophyta, Mollusca acephala, Mollusca gasteropoda, and ...
by J. G. Heck
Reptilia nuda. Order 1. Batrachia. We have already spoken of the general characteristics of Reptiles as a class. It now becomes our duty to refer more particularly to the distinguishing features of the subdivisions, taking them up in the order of ...
Protozooid reptilia, containing families: 1, in- asorial, petromyzoid reptiles (tailed batrachians, alamanders, &c.) ; 2, polypary reptiles (frogs) ; , acalephan reptiles ( chelonians). II. Concho- ooul or ophidian reptilia, with families: 4, mus- cl or ...
The Encyclopedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chisholm
Gejjeral Characters or the Class Reptilia Reptiles, as known in the existing world, are the modified, and in many respects degenerate, representatives of a group of iung-brcathtng vertebrate animals which attained its maximum development in ...
A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge
Protozooid reptilia, containing families: 1, infusorial, petromyzoid reptiles (tailed batrachians, salamanders, &c.) ; 2, polypary reptiles (frogs) ; 3, acalephnn reptiles ...
by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana
Protozooid reptilia, containing families: 1, infusorial, petromyzoid reptiles (tailed batrachians, salamanders, &c.) ; 2, polypary reptiles (frogs) ; 3, acalcphan reptiles ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Reptilia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Reptilia
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: GalaReiser//FotorockG
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Reptilia
Terrible Eyes as The Strokes - Reptilia - at New Slang, Kingston
Terrible Eyes as The Strokes - Reptilia - at New Slang, Kingston.
See also the pronunciation examples of Reptilia!
Scrabble value of R1E1P3T1I1L1I1A1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine