Republic of Ireland
is an acrostic for roi.
On this page:
Republic of Ireland: Ireland, also known as the Republic of Ireland, is a sovereign state in western Europe occupying about five-sixths of the island of Ireland. The capital and largest city is Dublin, located in the eastern part of the island, whose metropolitan area is home to around a quarter of the country's 4.6 million inhabitants. The state shares its only land border with Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom. It is otherwise surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, with the Celtic Sea to the south, Saint George's Channel to the south east, and the Irish Sea to the east. It is a unitary, parliamentary republic with an elected president serving as head of state. The head of government, the Taoiseach, is nominated by the lower house of parliament, Dáil Éireann.
- also known as Éire, the 26 counties, the twenty-six counties, the Free State, Irish Republic, Eire
- part of Ireland, Europe, Eurasia, Emerald Isle, Hibernia
- instance of: European country / European nation = any one of the countries occupying the European continent
- capital of Ireland / Irish capital / Dublin = capital and largest city and major port of the Irish Republic
- Cork = a port city in southern Ireland
- Galway = a port city in western Ireland on Galway Bay
- Limerick = port city in southwestern Ireland
- Tara = a village in eastern Ireland
- Waterford = a port city in southern Ireland
- member of: British Commonwealth / Commonwealth of Nations = an association of nations consisting of the United Kingdom and several former British colonies that are now sovereign states but still pay allegiance to the British Crown; Common Market / EC / EEC / EU / Europe / European Community / European Economic Community / European Union = an international organization of European countries formed after World War II to reduce trade barriers and increase cooperation among its members
- read more about Republic of Ireland (country)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Republic of Ireland
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Gordon Gillespie
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND. After Ireland was partitioned in 1921, the 26 southern counties formed the Irish Free State while the six northeastern counties became Northern Ireland. In 1937, under Fianna Fail, a new constitution effectively made ...
Volume 13 - Inventories of Books to Korea: Libraries in the Republic of by Allen Kent, Harold Lancour, Jay E. Daily
Introduction The division of Ireland by the Government of Ireland Act 1920 into the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland imposed a political division on the country for the first time in its history. This did not, however, succeed in creating a ...
Parties, Groups and Movements of the 20th Century by Peter Barberis, John McHugh, Mike Tyldesley
Eire becomes the Republic of Ireland, now a formally recognized, fully independent state outside the British Commonwealth. 1972 Stormont Assembly suspended as British government imposes direct rule from Westminster with a ...
by Graham A. Colditz
The Republic of Ireland is a political unit that is constituted of 26 of the counties; the remaining six counties are part of the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Prior to the 20th century, the 26 counties also were ...
by James Stuart Olson, Robert Shadle
Northern Ireland* remained part of Great Britain, and that no separation of Northern Ireland from Great Britain or unification of Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland would occur without the consent of the parliament of Northern Ireland.
by Richard William Cox, Dave Russell, Wray Vamplew
The second important issue has been the sectarian tensions present within Ireland's footbalL The final qualifying game for the 1994 World Cup finals pitted Northern Ireland against the Republic of Ireland. At a time of heightened political ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Republic of Ireland
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Republic of Ireland
Dean Kiely, Republic of Ireland and West Brom.
Brilliant to see Dean return to the Republic of Ireland Squad after a long absence. Expertise and experience are always vital in any team. Congrats on the Promotion to the Premiership with West Brom.
Photo credit: rockface
Video about Republic of Ireland
Republic of Ireland Meaning
Video shows what Republic of Ireland means. A republic in western Europe, covering most of the island of Ireland, with Dublin as its capital.. Republic of Ireland ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Republic of Ireland!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Republic of Ireland to see it in context!