On this page:
- Definition of the noun romanticism
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Romanticism
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Romanticism
- Photos about Romanticism
- Video language resources about Romanticism
- Quotes about Romanticism
- Scrabble value of R1O1M3A1N1T1I1C3I1S1M3
- Anagrams of ROMANTICISM
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun romanticism
What does romanticism mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- romanticism: romanticisms
- Romanticism: Romanticisms
- impractical romantic ideals and attitudes
- a movement in literature and art during the late 18th and early 19th centuries that celebrated nature rather than civilization
- example: Romanticism valued imagination and emotion over rationality
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of Romanticism: Romantic Movement
- antonym of Romanticism: classicism
- more generic terms: artistic style / idiom = the style of a particular artist or school or movement; arts / humanistic discipline / humanities / liberal arts = studies intended to provide general knowledge and intellectual skills
- an exciting and mysterious quality (as of a heroic time or adventure)
Alternative definition of the noun romanticism
- 18th Century artistic and intellectual movement which stressed emotion, freedom and individual imagination.
"ROMANTICISM" is a musical album of Lillies and Remains.
- released on
- "Romanticism" is a book by Duncan Wu.
- subjects: 18th century, Literature, Classics, 19th century, Great Britain, English Literature, Literary criticism
- "Romanticism" is a written work.
- author: Michael Ferber
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Romanticism" is a book by Michael O'Neill.
- "Romanticism" is a book by Léon Rosenthal.
Romanticism is a triannual peer-reviewed academic journal dedicated to Romantic studies, focusing on the period 1750-1850. It was established in 1995 and is published by Edinburgh University Press.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Romanticism
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A History of Six Ideas (2012)
An Essay in Aesthetics by W. Tatarkiewicz
A more general definition: Romanticism is a conviction regarding the spiritual nature of art. Matters of the spirit are its...
Romanticism is the giving of predominance to spirit over form: such is Hegel's interpretation. It bears a...
The Roots of Romanticism (2013)
by Isaiah Berlin
Heine says Romanticism is the passion—flower sprung from the blood of Christ, a re-awakening of the poetry of the sleep—...
Lukács After Communism (1997)
Interviews with Contemporary Intellectuals by Eva L. Corredor
We have inverted the formula: we have replaced "romantic anticapitalism" with anticapitalist romanticism, and we have tried to explain that in its essence romanticism is a Weltanschauung, a vision of the world; it is not just a literary school but a ...
Modern Christian Theology (2016)
by Christopher Ben Simpson
Romanticism is a reaction across the board to the French Revolution as an excess of the Enlightenment. But also, with the...
by Jerome Christensen
No mere bogeyman, dark Romanticism is a phenomenon in which we should believe, but only in order to shape it to our own good...
Romantic Sobriety (2011)
Sensation, Revolution, Commodification, History by Orrin N. C. Wang
Studying Romanticism means knowing it as a historical period but also knowing it as a figure that stands for something...
Machine in the Studio (1998)
Constructing the Postwar American Artist by Caroline A. Jones
Romanticism is a child of the North . . . [there] you will find the deep dreams of the studio and the gaze of the fancy lost in horizons of grey." (Emphasis added.)25 For Baudelaire and Rothko alike, the artist's isolation in the studio was merely ...
A Study of Primal Kuki Religious Symbolism in the Hermeneutical Framework of Mircea Eliade by Hemkhochon Chongloi
Romantic Movement Romanticism is an amorphous movement at the. Highlights on Symbolism in General... 43 Forerunners of the Vogue for Symbolism.
by Edward Craig
Because Romanticism has many meanings which vary according to time and place, it is best to examine the...
by Eladio Cortés
Then, Holman indicates that the second consideration includes opinions of renowned writers or critics such as Victor Hugo, for whom romanticism was " liberalism in literature"; or the German poet Heinrich Heine, who thought romanticism was ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
Romanticism \ro-'man-t3-,siz-3m \ A literary, artistic, and philosophical movement originating in Europe in the 18th century and lasting roughly until the mid-19th century. Romanticism is characterized chiefly by a reaction against the ...
Volume 4: Myth, Manners, and Memory by Charles Reagan Wilson
''Romanticism'' is a term applied to certain artistic and intellectual developments in Europe and America from roughly to , the period, as it happened, in which the South began to think of itself as a separate culture. Indeed, Michael ...
by Michael A. Riff
Producing an unprecendented range of styles to encompass an unprecedented scale of human emotion, extending from unbounded utopian optimism to radical anxiety, Romanticism forged the connection between artistic and social forms, ...
by Diagram Group
romanticism (c 1780–1850) A mainly literary movement, romanticism was a reaction against neo-classical principles and the Industrial Revolution.
by Steven R. Serafin, Alfred Bendixen
ROMANTICISM corruptive seductions of invasive civilization. In keeping with the romantic dictum "God made the country but man made the town. " Cooper's hero moves ever westward, fleeing the encroaching settlements and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Romanticism
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Romanticism
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Romanticism
Click on an item to play that video:
- Romanticism Meaning
Video shows what Romanticism means. 18th Century artistic and intellectual movement which stressed emotion, freedom and individual imagination.
- Romanticism Meaning
Video shows what romanticism means. A romantic quality, spirit or action. Romanticism Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Mr. Hallstrom Romanticism Project- The True Meaning of Success
Mr. Hallstrom Romanticism Project.
View more videos about New Romanticism.
See also the pronunciation examples of Romanticism!
Quotes about Romanticism
In short, the building becomes a theatrical demonstration of its functional ideal. In this romanticism, High-Tech architecture is, of course, no different in spirit-if totally different in form-from all the romantic architecture of the past. (Dan Cruickshank)
more quotes about romanticism...
Scrabble value of R1O1M3A1N1T1I1C3I1S1M3
The value of this 11-letter word is 17 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ROMANTICISM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Romanticism!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Romanticism to see it in context!