Root appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Red root put up to order.
- Sex of rats too rote to root star foxes.
- To order cassettes, sack cassettes’ sacred root.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun root:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb root:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun root
- Definition of the verb root
- Phrases with Root
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Root
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Root
- Photos about Root
- Videos about Root
- Sign language
- Quotes about Root
- Scrabble value of R1O1O1T1
- Anagrams of ROOT
- Share this page
The word root is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun root
What does root mean as a name of something?
Root is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: roots
- (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
- domain: botany / phytology
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- more generic term: plant organ = a functional and structural unit of a plant or fungus
- more specific terms:
- calamus = the aromatic root of the sweet flag used medicinally
- cocoyam / dasheen / eddo / taro = edible starchy tuberous root of taro plants
- ginseng = aromatic root of ginseng plants
- horseradish root / horseradish = the root of the horseradish plant
- radish = pungent edible root of any of various cultivated radish plants
- chicory root / chicory = the dried root of the chicory plant: used as a coffee substitute
- oyster plant / salsify = edible root of the salsify plant
- Hottentot's bread / Hottentot bread = thick edible rootstock of elephant's-foot
- briarroot = hard woody root of the briar Erica arborea
- orrisroot / orris = fragrant rootstock of various irises especially Florentine iris
- sarsaparilla root = dried root of any of various plants of the genus Smilax used as a flavoring agent
- licorice root = root of licorice used in flavoring e.g. candy and liqueurs and medicines
- senega = dried root of two plants of the genus Polygala containing an irritating saponin
- mandrake root / mandrake = the root of the mandrake plant
- cassava / manioc = cassava root eaten as a staple food after drying and leaching
- carrot = deep orange edible root of the cultivated carrot plant
- parsnip = the whitish root of cultivated parsnip
- pneumatophore = an air-filled root (submerged or exposed) that can function as a respiratory organ of a marsh or swamp plant
- taproot = main root of a plant growing straight downward from the stem
- adventitious root = root growing in an unusual location e.g. from a stem
- rootlet = small root or division of a root
- prop root = a root that grows from and supports the stem above the ground in plants such as mangroves
- part of: root system / rootage = a developed system of roots
- substance: parenchyma = the primary tissue of higher plants composed of thin-walled cells that remain capable of cell division even when mature
- the place where something begins, where it springs into being
- example: communism's Russian root
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of root: beginning / origin / rootage / source
- more generic word: point = the precise location of something
- more specific terms:
- derivation = the source or origin from which something derives
- spring = a point at which water issues forth
- fountainhead / headspring / head = the source of water from which a stream arises
- headwater = the source of a river
- wellspring / wellhead = the source of water for a well
- point of departure / jumping-off place = a place from which an enterprise or expedition is launched
- place of origin / provenience / birthplace / provenance / cradle = where something originated or was nurtured in its early existence
- home = place where something began and flourished
- point source = a concentrated source (especially of radiation or pollution) that is spatially constricted
- trail head / trailhead = the beginning of a trail
- (linguistics) the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- domain: linguistics
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of root: base / radical / root word / stem / theme
- more generic terms: descriptor / form / signifier / word form = the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something
- a number that, when multiplied by itself some number of times, equals a given number
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- more generic word: number = a concept of quantity involving zero and units
- more specific terms:
- the set of values that give a true statement when substituted into an equation
- someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of root: ancestor / antecedent / ascendant / ascendent
- more generic words: relation / relative = a person related by blood or marriage
- more specific words:
- a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- the embedded part of a bodily structure such as a tooth, nail, or hair
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- more generic terms: anatomical structure / bodily structure / body structure / complex body part / structure = a particular complex anatomical part of a living thing and its construction and arrangement
- part of: hair = a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures; tooth = hard bonelike structures in the jaws of vertebrates; nail = horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
- part: cementum / cement = a specialized bony substance covering the root of a tooth
Alternative definition of the noun root
- The part of a plant, generally underground, that absorbs water and nutrients. thumb, Some 'roots' (2)
- The part of a tooth extending into the bone holding the tooth in place.
- synonym: zero
- The part of a hair under the skin that holds the hair in place.
- synonym: etymon
- The part of a hair near the skin that has not been dyed, permed, or otherwise treated.
- The primary source.
- [arithmetic] Of a number or expression, a number which, when raised to a specified power, yields the specified number or expression.
- [arithmetic] A square root (understood if no power is specified; in which case, “the root of” is often abbreviated to “root”).
- [analysis] A zero (of a function).
- [context: graph theory, computing] The single node of a tree that has no parent.
- [linguistic morphology] The primary lexical unit of a word, which carries the most significant aspects of semantic content and cannot be reduced into smaller constituents. Inflectional stems often derive from roots.
- [context: philology] A word from which another word or words are derived.
- [computing] In UNIX terminology, the first user account with complete access to the operating system and its configuration, found at the root of the directory structure.
- [computing] The person who manages accounts on a UNIX system.
- [computing] The highest directory of a directory structure which may contain both files and subdirectories. In PC-based systems the number of entries in a root directory may be limited whereas the number entries in subdirectories is unlimited. [rfex]
- [Australia, New Zealand, vulgar, slang] An act of sexual intercourse.
- [Australia, New Zealand coarse slang] An act of sexual intercourse.
- [Australia, New Zealand coarse slang] A sexual partner.
- synonym: screw [US]
Definition of the verb root
What does root mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: rooted | rooting | roots
- take root and begin to grow
- come into existence, originate
- cheer for
- plant by the roots
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Location] for [Theme] I hunted the woods for game | I searched the cave for treasure | I stalked the woods for game | We rummaged the drawer for important documents [Agent - being] [Verb] over / through / into [Location] He pawed over the documents [Agent - being] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] for [Theme] He rummaged through the door for the ball
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic words: plant / set = put or set (seeds, seedlings, or plants) into the ground
- dig with the snout
- become settled or established and stable in one's residence or life style
- cause to take roots
Alternative definition of the verb root
- To rummage, to search as if by digging in soil, to root out.
- [US] To cheer to show support for a sports team, etc.
- [Australia, New Zealand, vulgar, slang] To have sexual intercourse.
- synonym: screw [US]
- Root are a Czech black metal band.
- also known as Root (hudební skupina), Root (musikgrupp)
- Big Boss (Vocals) since
- Igor Hubík (Bass guitar) since
- Oldřich Trifid (Guitar) since
- Jan Konečný (Guitar) since
- Pavel Kubát (Drums) since
- Marek Šmerda (Guitar) between and (16 years)
- Robert Krčmář (Vocals) between and
- Zdeněk Odehnal (Guitar) in
- Petr Kříž (Guitar) in
- Petr Pálenský (Guitar) in
- Dan Janáček (Guitar) between and (2 years)
- Petr Hošek (Guitar) between and (17 years)
- René Kostelňák (Drums) between and (19 years)
- Marek Fryčák (Drums) between and
- Rostislav Mozga (Drums) between and (2 years)
- Aleš Jedonek (Guitar) between and
- Aleš Dostál (Guitar) between and (3 years)
- Peter Hrnčiřík (Drums) between and
- Radim Kafka (Guitar)
- Bob Kramoliš (Bass guitar)
- genre: Black metal
- albums: "The Book", "Black Seal", "Kärgeräs", "Madness of the Graves", "Hell Symphony", "The Revelation", "The Temple in the Underworld", "Zjevení", "Dema", "Daemon Viam Invenient", "Casilda", "Kärgeräs / Hell Symphony", "Zjevení / The Temple in the Underworld"
- official website: www.rootan.net
- Root a.k.a. ROOT! was an Australian rock group from Melbourne formed in 2004. Their music combines alt-country, blues and indie rock with elements of spoken word, satire, social commentary and post-modernism. They have gained attention through a band member being a former member of Melbourne band TISM.
- Root is a musical group.
- album: "Personality Disorder"
There are other groups with in their name, like Blue Root, Love Root, Siena Root, Root Doctor, Root Valdez, Root'System, Rusted Root, Sativa Root, Seed & Root, Root Rockers, Root'Secours, Mandrake Root and Nils Wogram & Root 70.
- "Root" was a multimedia project based around 25 one minute guitar pieces improvised by Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth. These samples were sent out to around 100 people - both visual artists as well as musicians - in Hoover bags to remix or create accompanying artwork for. The results were then released on CD, as a limited edition CD in a numbered hoover bag, as a 5 piece vinyl box set, and as an exhibition which featured work by Angela Bulloch, David Bowie, Gavin Turk and many others.
- released on (17 years ago)
- "Root" is a composition.
- "ROOT" is a musical album of SURFACE.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Root" is a musical EP of A Major Triad.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Root" is a musical album of By the Tree.
- released on (12 years ago)
"Root" is a book by Edna Root.
- also known as "Root. [Exhibition held at the] La Jolla Museum of Art, July 18-Aug. 24, 1969"
- "Root" is a 2013 drama film written and directed by Matías Rojas Valencia.
- also known as Raiz
- country: Chile
- language: Spanish Language
- producers: Matías Rojas Valencia, Gabriela Larraín, Gonzalo Rodríguez Varas
- written by Matías Rojas Valencia
- cinematography by Gabriela Larraín
- edited by Matías Rojas Valencia
- music by José Pedro Dal Pozzo, Arturo Zegers
- genres: Coming-of-age story, Romantic comedy, Drama
- released in
- "Root" is a 2012 short horror drama film written and directed by Caleb Johnson.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Caleb Johnson
- written by Caleb Johnson
- cinematography by Caleb Johnson
- edited by Caleb Johnson
- genres: Horror, Drama
- released on
- official website: www.RootMovie.com
- "Root" a.k.a. "Beru: The Root": Beru is a 2005 Indian Kannada language satirical film directed by P. Sheshadri starring Suchendra Prasad, H. G. Dattatreya, Neeta and M. P. Venkatarao in the lead roles.
- read more about Beru: The Root
- Root a.k.a. "Root": "Root" is a fictional character from the TV series Person of Interest.
- also known as Root aka Robin, Caroline Turing, Samantha "Sam" Groves
- Root is a fictional film character.
Root is a Japanese visual novel studio under the publishing company Orbit founded in 2000. Root's titles are eroge that contain erotic scenes. It was closed in March 2010 following the earthquake, along with the rest of Orbit brands.
Root is a town in Montgomery County, New York, United States. The population was 1,715 at the 2010 census.
- Root: A root, or root word, is a word that does not have a prefix or a suffix. The root word is the primary lexical unit of a word, and of a word family, which carries the most significant aspects of semantic content and cannot be reduced into smaller constituents.
- also known as 词根
- root a.k.a. Radix: In mathematical numeral systems, the radix or base is the number of unique digits, including zero, used to represent numbers in a positional numeral system. For example, for the decimal system the radix is ten, because it uses the ten digits from 0 through 9.
- read more about Radix
- ROOT is an object-oriented program and library developed by CERN. It was originally designed for particle physics data analysis and contains several features specific to this field, but it is also used in other applications such as astronomy and data mining.
- genre: Data analysis
- license: GNU Lesser General Public License, GNU General Public License
- official website: root.cern.ch
- Root: In music theory, the root of a chord is the note on which a chord is built. For example, a three-note triad using C as a root would be C-E-G. Conventionally, the name of the root note denotes the chord. Thus, a major chord built upon C is called a C major chord. The root is often confused with the tonic, which is the reference note of a scale, rather than that of a chord.
- Root a.k.a. Zero of a function: In mathematics, a zero, also sometimes called a root, of a real-, complex- or generally vector-valued function ƒ is a member x of the domain of ƒ such that ƒ vanishes at, that is, In other words, a "zero" of a function ƒ is a value for x that produces a result of zero. For example, consider the function ƒ defined by the formula ƒ has a root at 3 because If the function maps real numbers to real numbers, its zeros are the x-coordinates of the points where its graph meets the x-axis.
- read more about Zero of a function
- The Root mansion is one of the Twenty-eight mansions of the Chinese constellations. It is one of the eastern mansions of the Azure Dragon.
- Root a.k.a. .root: root is the name of a database record of the root zone in the Domain Name System of the Internet that was occasionally used as a diagnostic marker. Its presence demonstrated the root zone was not truncated upon loading by a root nameserver.
- Root is a family name.
- Root: The part of a tooth below the neck of the tooth which is covered by cementum.
Phrases with Root
Phrases starting with the word Root:
- root on
- Root Up
- root cap
- root for
- root out
- root rot
- root beer
- root crop
- root hair
- Root Noun
- root vole
- root word
Phrases ending with the word Root:
View more phrases with the word Root in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Root
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Including the South Carolina Low Country Receipts and Remedies of Emily Wharton Sinkler by Anne Sinkler Whaley LeClercq
The Butterfly Weed or Pleurisy Root is a very common plant in South Carolina, growing in old fields and along the borders of meadows. Its brilliant clusters...
The root is the part used and is an excellent expectorant and diaphoric. Puccoon or ...
Intelligent Databases (2007)
Technologies and Applications by Zongmin Ma
root is the root element of the XML fragment describing the operator application , xsd is the XML-schema definition that defines the XML...
The Family Doctor (1890)
A Cyclopaedia of Domestic Medicine and Hygiene by Timothy Newell
The root is the part used in medicine. It is a valuable stimulant and tonic, acting particularly on the skin, kidneys, and uterus ; it also acts as a sedative upon the nervous system. Large doses produce vomiting, vertigo, and impaired vision, and ...
Logic Programming (1995)
Proceedings of the 1995 International Symposium by John Lloyd
The clause derivation skeleton induced by D is the partially ordered labelled tree such that: - its root is a unary...
What Can I Do with My Herbs? (2009)
How to Grow, Use, and Enjoy These Versatile Plants by Judy Barrett, Victor Z. Martin
Although both root and leaf are used, the root is the most powerful part of the plant and is widely used for many purposes. The Germans and Danes began using horseradish to create a pungent fish sauce in the 1500s. Once it spread to Britain ...
Discrete Structures (2010)
by Satinder Bal Gupta, C. P. Gandhi
The root is an ancestor of every other node in the tree. (h) Descendent. A node is called...
The subtree whose root is the right child of some node is called the ~ right subtree of that node. (k) Level of a Node. The level of a node is its distance ...
The New Business Arithmetic (1912)
A Treatise on Commercial Calculations by James A. Lyons
A Root is the number which is multiplied by itself a given number of times to produce a given power. 484. Evolution...
Service-Oriented Computing (2010)
8th International Conference, ICSOC 2010, San Francisco, CA, USA, December 7-10, 2010. Proceedings by Paul P. Maglio, Mathias Weske, Jian Yang, Marcelo Fantinato
The second phase involves reducing the JPST by finding the delta root. The delta root is the least common uncustomized ancestor of all ...
by Charles Butler
the cube root is the first of two mean proportionals between unity and the given number ; the biquadrate root is the first of three mean proportionals between unity and the given number; and in general, if between unity and any power there ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
The root. Diuretic. A syrup and oxymel. Colocynthis. Cucumis colorynthis. Coloquintida, or bitter apple. Medullary part of the dried fruit. Violently cathartic. An ingredient in some pills and extracts. Columbo. Ignatia amara. Colomba. The root.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Acorus calamus Root .... Sweet flag . . Yellow. 2. Myrtus pimcnta Fruit .... Jamaica pepper . Yellow. 4.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Root
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Root
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: llee_wu
Photo credit: erik-edgren
Photo credit: PinkMoose
Photo credit: jauhari
Photo credit: jetalone
Photo credit: splitbrain
Photo credit: rachel.doyle
Photo credit: llee_wu
- Webbing root
Photo credit: nSeika
- Bamboo root
Photo credit: eggstudio
- Root biomass
Colleen Iversen, a post-doctoral research associate in the Environmental Sciences Division, hopes to determine whether an experimental prototype that warmed the soil to nearly 3 meters on the Walker Branch watershed has resulted in increased root biomass in the soil. This effort involves separating fine tree roots -- less than 2 millimeters in diameter) from soil organic matter. Photo by Jason Richards
Photo credit: oakridgelabnews
- Lotus root
Photo credit: daveyll
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Root
Click on an item to play that video:
- Enhance Vocabulary ( Root Based Session 1 ) for CAT, GMAT, GRE, SSC by Dinesh Miglani
- Enhance Vocabulary ( Root Based Session 2) for CAT, GMAT, GRE, SSC by Dinesh Miglani
- Globetrottin' | Root Definition
- The Root Meaning of 'Qur'an' - Hamza Yusuf
This is chapter 1. Watch the full lecture at...
- Turah / Torah The Root Meaning
Turah (Torah) the root meaning. What does Torah do and what is it.
- How to ROOT Samsung Galaxy BEAM - Best Detailed explanation
Tutorial how to ROOT the Samsung Galaxy BEAM GT-i8530. (this root is for Gingerbread only). For Jelly Bean root...
- Enhance Vocabulary ( Root Based Session 3) for CAT, GMAT, GRE, SSC by Dinesh Miglani
- Root Definition Activity
In this video you can watch how some students apply the root definition on case of Albion Group. This, is part of a class activity designed by the profesor of ...
- Number Theory 42: Definition of primitive root
- Chakra Symbols & Meanings : Root Chakra Meaning
The root chakra is most often associate with a person's sens of smell. Find more about the meaning of the root chakra with tips from a spiritual healer in this free ...
- Enhance Vocabulary ( Root Based Session 4) for CAT, GMAT, GRE, SSC by Dinesh Miglani
- Enhance Vocabulary ( Root Based Session 5) for CAT, GMAT, GRE, SSC by Dinesh Miglani
- Licorice root Meaning
Video shows what licorice root means. The root of the liquorice plant, Glycyrrhiza glabra, from which a sweet flavoring with an anise scent is extracted.. Any of ...
- MAI - 016 - Explicacion de raiz (Root explanation)
- Root Definition
- Root Brow Definition
- Enhance your Vocabulary ( Root based Session 8) for CAT, GMAT, SSC by Dinesh Sir
- Bock Saga - Root Language (by Jim Chesnar)
One of the three video with Jim Chesner, who tell the Bock Saga. Part 1 - Root Language. Recorded by Alexander "Sasha" Popov in Vagator, GOA, India ...
- How to install Gujarati , Marathi, native language in MIUI 6 without ROOT
This is a simple, safe and easy step by step Video tutorial to install Indian language like Gujarati, bangali,marathi etc.. fonts on your MIUI xiaomi Phones.
- Real Bass Lessons 4 - Motown - Jamerson Language - Root, Octv, 5th
This lesson identifies and demonstrates James Jamerson's basic foundational piece of language - Root, Octave, and Fifth. Includes short example played with ...
- RooT Flood Free bY ESL
RooT Flood Free bY ESL 1. vps...
- Galaxy S4 Sc-04e International Rom Gt-i9505 Root and Language Pack
- How to root Doogee X5 - Check description
Made this guide with all necessary files...
- Fire vs ROOT ESL One New York 2015 NA Qualifier Game 2 bo3
ESL One New York 2015 - North-America Qualifier. FireDota vs ROOT Gaming - Quarter finals. The base prize pool for this tournament is 250000, which can be ...
- HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG ADMIRE!!!! + PROOF (check description) - CyX SenZe
- Lucky patcher, no root,paid stuff free,DESCRIPTION
- YP vs ROOT ESL One New York 2015 NA Qualifier Game 2 bo3
ESL One New York 2015 - North-America Qualifier. Team YP vs ROOT Gaming - Round 1. The base prize pool for this tournament is 250000, which can be ...
- The Root Sailing Raft - BLUE 2014: Foreign Language Finalist
The reflections of an old fisherman who has used throughout all his life a rare raft made with roots, whose construction process is environmentally friendly, ...
- Play F# Minor Chord on the Guitar: Root Position : Guitar Chord Dictionary 15
Learn how to play the F# Minor guitar chord in this free video series on music theory and guitar lessons. Expert: Kivett Bednar Bio: Kivett Bednar is a graduate of ...
- Learning ESL Vocabulary Words - Wallpaper, Slip, Root - Lesson 294
SCRIPT The room is wallpapered. The dog's tongue has slipped out its mouth. The girl and the woman are running the three-legged race. People are rooting for ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Root!
Properties of Logarithms: Root Property (American Sign Language)
Math tutoring in ASL.
Quotes about Root
Spirit of woman is dearer to sons
Than to daughters; sons feel great
Women are root systems and men
A root will not weep for the root of the
26.06.2004 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about root...
Scrabble value of R1O1O1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ROOT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Root!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Root to see it in context!