Rota appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Determine bat order (it’s my gym’s tired rota): Ben, Imre, Ted.
- On one idyll, a turbogenerator aimed academia rota, Rene: go, brutally die, no, no!
- Shahs say, "Lisa, enemy rota valets abdicate lots, to let acid baste lavatory men easily as shahs!"
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun rota
What does rota mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- rota: rotas
- Rota: Rotas
- (Roman Catholic Church) the supreme ecclesiastical tribunal for cases appealed to the Holy See from diocesan courts
- a roster of names showing the order in which people should perform certain duties
Alternative definition of the noun rota
- [British] A schedule that allocates some task, responsibility or (rarely) privilege between a set of people according to a (possibly periodic) calendar.
- Rota: The town of Rota is a Spanish municipality located in the Province of Cádiz, Andalusia. Its surface area is 84 km ² and is bordered by the towns of Chipiona, Sanlúcar de Barrameda and El Puerto de Santa María. It is located near the city of Jerez de la Frontera and is 36 kilometers away from the provincial capital, Cadiz. In the year 2009 had 28,516 inhabitants, with a density of 339.44 inhabitants / km ². It belongs to two associations, the Association of Municipalities of Cadiz Bay along with the municipalities of Cadiz, Jerez de la Frontera, El Puerto de Santa María, San Fernando, Chiclana and Puerto Real; and the Association of Municipalities of the Lower Guadalquivir that comprises municipalities of Northwest Coast of Andalusia.
- Rota also known as the "Peaceful Island", is the southernmost island of the United States Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and the second southernmost of the Marianas Archipelago. It lies approximately 40 nautical miles north-northeast of the United States territory of Guam. Songsong village is the largest and most populated followed by Sinapalo village.
- also known as Νήσος Ρότα, 羅塔島, روتا
- part of Northern Mariana Islands
- Rota is a stratovolcano located in the western part of Nicaragua.
Who is Rota?
Rota a.k.a. Antti Junttila is a musical artist.
- read more about Antti Junttila
- "Rota" is a musical album of Wyrd.
- released on (10 years ago)
- "Rota" is a musical album of Barbarian Pipe Band.
- released in (8 years ago)
"Rota" is a book by Diamela Eltit.
- Rota a.k.a. Róta: In Norse mythology, Róta is a valkyrie. Róta is attested in chapter 36 of the Prose Edda book Gylfaginning, where she is mentioned alongside the valkyries Gunnr and Skuld, and the three are described as "always [riding] to choose who shall be slain and to govern the killings." Otherwise, Róta appears in two kennings, one by Egill Skallagrímsson and one by Hallfreðr vandræðaskáld. Theories have been proposed about the possible appearance of Róta in Gesta Danorum and the meaning of her name.
- read more about Róta
- The rota is one of the symbols used in the papal signature, found on papal bulls, composed of a cross inscribed in two concentric circles, first used by Pope Paschal II.
- Rota: A rota is an infantry or cavalry unit. In Poland it was known increasingly from the 16th century by the alternative name of Chorągiew.
- also known as Rotte
- Rota: A rota is a type of vocal round of the 13th and 14th centuries, probably only in England.
- The rota or "turn" is a cylinder, open on one side, that is built inside a wall of a monastery, nunnery or foundling hospital. It was used for exchanging mail and food with cloistered clergy, being their only communication with the world. It is usually about 50 centimeters wide by 30 centimeters high, and its opening does not permit visual or tactile contact with the uncloistered. Messages or food are put into the cylinder, then the rota is revolved so that the opening faces the other side. Monks were stationed close by or are notified that someone has turned the wheel by various mechanisms. In some cases, especially at night and in winter, the rota is filled by the monks with food, and left there for the poor, to give them something to eat without them having to ask. The rota has also been used by those mothers who don't want to keep their newborn babies. They left them in the safe hands of monks or nuns, their anonymity being guaranteed by the rota. In some dioceses the instrument was abolished to discourage this latter use.
Phrases with Rota
- Dalla Rota
- Murex Rota
- Acusana Rota
- Cellana Rota
- Patella Rota
- Trochus Rota
- Didemnum Rota
- Cellepora Rota
- Omalogyra Rota
- Ammonicera rota
- Protoptila rota
- Sabatieria rota
- Calliostoma Rota
- Celleporina Rota
- Poinarembia Rota
- Rhyncoceras Rota
- Scissurella Rota
- Tambourissa Rota
- Dichaetomyia Rota
- Gephyrocapsa Rota
View more phrases with the word Rota in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Rota
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Music in the Middle Ages (2008)
A Reference Guide by Suzanne Lord
Rota The English rota is a combination of two types of music. The first is a four- part rondellus in Middle English. This is sung over a two-part pes or “foot,” which is a simple—but separate—two-part canon. Sung together, an English rota is a ...
Diving Micronesia (2001)
by Eric Hanauer
Rota is an exceptionally beautiful high island that hasn't yet been scarred by excessive development. Tinian, best known as home base for World War II atomic bombers, is mostly ranch land. One characteristic all the islands share is incredibly ...
by Marcelo Aguiar, Swapneel Mahajan
Rota is that certain combinatorial objects give rise to Hopf algebras that reflect the manner in which these objects compose and decompose. Recent work has seen the emergence of several interesting ...
Bollocks to Alton Towers (2006)
Uncommonly British Days Out by Alex Morris, Jason Hazeley, Joel Morris, Robin Halstead
the toilet cleaning rota is a fortnight old. The feeling of PMT (post motorway tristesse) is overwhelming. You have been cheated, sucked into a meretricious circus of sugar bombs, straggling Brownies and CDs of Ultimate Driving Ballads.
by Greg Thain , John Bradley
ROTA is the tool that is upgrading and improving the Wrigley set-up far further and faster than Cadbury ever did with Adams. ROTA as a performance measurement means Mars has to be the most efficient ...
A Tribute Volume to Derek C. Ford and William B. White by Russell S. Harmon, Carol M. Wicks, Derek C. Ford, William Blaine White
Rota is a composite island grading laterally from the volcanic core into a carbonate-cover island, thence to a simple carbonate island from the southwestern highland to the plains and terraces north and east. Northern Guam is a simple ...
A New System of Geography (1762)
In which is Given, a General Account of the Situation and Limits, the Manners, History, and Constitution, of the Several Kingdoms and States of the Known World by Anton Friedrich Büsching
Rota is a little town with a harbour. - * * - Puerto de Santa Maria, or Port St. Mary's , the capital of an earldom belonging to the duke of Medina Celi, enjoys a flourishing trade, and lies at the mouth of the river Guadalete, direétly opposite: Cadiz, ...
A Catholic Dictionary (1961)
by William E. Addis, Aeterna Press
ROTA ROMANA. A tribunal within the Curia Romana, “formerly the supreme court of justice in the Church, and the universal court of appeal.” It was instituted by John XXII. in 1326, and regulated by Sixtus IV. and Benedict XIV. It is of less ...
by Abraham Pizam, Judy Holcomb
ROTA is calculated by expressing PBIT as a percentage of total assets, ...
by Ronald H. Fritze, William Baxter Robison
Three particularly English musical forms from this period need to be mentioned: the rota, the carol, and the polyphonic votive antiphon. "Rota" is the term used for a round in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. Though few written examples ...
by James M. Welsh, Gene D. Phillips, Rodney F. Hill
Rota furnished the underscore for The Godfather, utilizing a symphonic structure to comment on characters and situations. ROBERT EVANS, studio chief, initially feared that the score was too highbrow and operatic, but Coppola as usual stuck ...
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Rota polyantha Mexican. Лoia Montezumœ Miss Lawrance's. Rota Larvranceana Monthly. See Bose, China Moss.
by English language
rota, A.-S. wrotan, to turn up with the snout, wr6t, a snout, trunk, G. oruitein, to dig.] To turn up the earth with the snout, as swine ;— v. t. To eradicate. Rope, (rop) n. [A.-S. & Fries. rdp, Go. raip, L. Ger. reep.] A stout cord of ...
by William Edward Addis
ROTA noMANA. A tribunal within the Curia Romana, " formerly the supreme court of justice in the Church, and the universal court of appeal." ' It 1 Wetzer nnd Welte , art. " Curia Iiomnna." ROTA ROMANA 885 was instituted by John XXII. in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Rota
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Rota
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Rui Ornelas
Photo credit: a_marga
Photo credit: erikogan
Ol' Blue Eyes
Photo credit: Newtown grafitti
Photo credit: JOSE ANORO
Patos en Rota
Photo credit: fperles
Photo credit: aslakr
- PWD Deveselu/Rota Coin
Naval Support Facility Deveselu, Romania hosted the Aegis Ashore Inauguration Ceremony and numerous distinguished visitors were in
attendance. CE2 Ralph received a coin from Commander Naval Forces Europe, Adm. Mark Ferguson, recognizing him for his leadership and effectiveness
in the stand up of a new facility. CE2 Ralph volunteered for temporary duty in Romania while on orders to PWD Rota where he is a Performance Assessment
Photo credit: NAVFAC
- Tormenta rota
Photo credit: Fernando's
- Rota Vicentina IV
Photo credit: Björn Groß
- Rota Vicentina
Photo credit: Björn Groß
- Colombia rota
Photo credit: :: De todos los Colores ::
- Camino a Rota
Photo credit: By Rosana Urosa
- Rota Vicentina III
Photo credit: Björn Groß
- Ventana rota
Photo credit: Gonmi
Videos about Rota
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Rota!
Scrabble value of R1O1T1A1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine