On this page:
- Definition of the noun San Francisco
- Phrases with San Francisco
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for San Francisco
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for San Francisco
- Photos about San Francisco
- Video language resources about San Francisco
- Sign language
- Quotes about San Francisco
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun San Francisco
What does San Francisco mean as a name of something?
- a port in western California near the Golden Gate that is one of the major industrial and transportation centers; it has one of the world's finest harbors; site of the Golden Gate Bridge
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- instance of: city / metropolis / urban center = a large and densely populated urban area; point of entry / port of entry = a port in the United States where customs officials are stationed to oversee the entry and exit of people and merchandise
- part of: CA / Calif. / California / Golden State = a state in the western United States on the Pacific; the 3rd largest state
Alternative definition of the noun San Francisco
- A seaport city, county and mission in California, known as an intellectual, cultural, industrial, and transportation center of the West Coast United States, as the site of the Golden Gate Bridge, for its history of earthquakes, and as a center of gay culture.
- An extinct language, also called Ramaytush, spoken by the native people who inhabited the area which is now San Francisco, CA; also, sometimes, the Ramaytush people or tribe.
- synonym: Ramaytush
- Various other worldwide cities and places named after Saint Francis. See San Francisco (disambiguation) on Wikipedia.
- "San Francisco" is a 1936 musical-drama directed by Woody Van Dyke, based on the April 18, 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The film, which was the top grossing movie of that year, stars Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald, and Spencer Tracy. The then very popular singing of MacDonald helped make this film a hit, coming on the heels of her other 1936 blockbuster, Rose Marie. The Internet Movie Database reports that famous silent film directors D. W. Griffith and Erich von Stroheim contributed to the screenplay without screen credit. Griffith also helped direct the famous earthquake sequence.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: W. S. Van Dyke & D. W. Griffith
- producer: John Emerson
- art direction by Cedric Gibbons
- edited by Tom Held
- music by Bronisław Kaper, Walter Jurmann, Edward Ward
- costume design by Adrian Adolph Greenberg
- genres: Disaster Film, Black-and-white, Romance Film, Drama
- subject: 1906 San Francisco earthquake
- She Fell In Love... with the toughest guy on the toughest street in the world!
- It started out like any other day!
- They were born to fall in love!
- released on (79 years ago)
- Academy Award for Best Director nomination for W. S. Van Dyke
- Academy Award for Best Actor (Role: Father Tim Mullen) nomination for Spencer Tracy
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
- Academy Award for Best Assistant Director nomination for Joseph M. Newman
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Sound Department) nomination for Douglas Shearer
- Academy Award for Best Story nomination for Robert Hopkins
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studio Sound Department), received by Douglas Shearer
- "San Francisco" was a pioneering impressionistic documentary film directed by Anthony Stern. The film, cut to a version of "Interstellar Overdrive" as performed by Pink Floyd, pioneered the use of 16 mm single frame cinematography in the late 1960s went on to win awards for cinematography at the Oberhausen, Melbourne and Sydney Film Festival.
- also known as San Francisco: Film
- country: United Kingdom
- genre: Music
- released in (48 years ago)
- "San Francisco" is 1945 short film directed by William van Dyke.
- country: United States of America
- released in (71 years ago)
- "San Francisco": A young Colorado man, vibrant and swim-built Scott Andersen, sets out to meet his idol, porn star J.W. King, in San Francisco.
- "San Francisco" is a film.
- country: Italy
- language: Italian Language
- released in (57 years ago)
- "San Francisco" is a short film, directed by Margaret Cho.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genre: LGBT
- subject: Jill Sobule
- released in (7 years ago)
Phrases with San Francisco
- san francisco bay
- San Francisco Onion
- San Francisco Anemone
- San Francisco Campion
- San Francisco Forktail
- San Francisco Nailwort
- San Francisco Bluegrass
- San Francisco Lessingia
- San Francisco Manzanita
- San Francisco Wallflower
- San Francisco Gartersnake
- San Francisco Spineflower
- San Francisco Vinegarweed
- San Francisco Brine Shrimp
- San Francisco Garter Snake
- San Francisco Owl's-Clover
- San Francisco Leather Petal
- San Francisco Peaks Ragwort
- San Francisco Popcornflower
- San Francisco Woodland-Star
View more phrases with San Francisco in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for San Francisco
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
TC Hain Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA DE Haines University of Mississippi, Jackson, MS, USA SE Hall University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA E Haller University of California ...
Encyclopedia of California (1997)
Senator from California; born in San Francisco, California, April 20, 1861; graduated from St. Ignatius University, San Francisco, in 1881; studied law at the University of California at Berkeley; ...
by Glenmore S. Trenear-Harvey
New York, San Francisco Aptekar, Nikolai SERGEI London Barkovsky, ...
by Kenneth J. Blume
A ferry service operated by the city of Vallejo, California, operating in the northern San Francisco Bay region with connections to San Francisco. Ferry service from San Francisco to Vallejo was established in 1986 by the Red & White Fleet to ...
The Comprehensive Resource on Geriatric and Social Care, Second Edition by Eugenia L. Siegler, MD, FACP, Elizabeth Capezuti, PhD, RN, FAAN, Mathy Mezey, EdD, RN, FAAN
Bonomo, MD Veterans Affairs Medical Center Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH Patricia Booth, MS, RD, FADA University of California San Francisco Medical Center San Francisco, CA Enid A. Borden, MA Meals ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for San Francisco
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about San Francisco
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about San Francisco
Click on an item to play that video:
- Pink Floyd - Sound Definition (Live San Francisco, California, USA - April 13th, 1975)
Date : 13/04/1975 Venue : Cow Palace, Daly City, California, USA Duration : 146:47 min Tracklist : 01. Raving And Drooling (11:49) 02. Shine On You Crazy ...
- San Francisco Fleet Week Safety Zone Enforcement Explanation
SAN FRANCISCO - Coast Guard Lt.j.g. Jeanie Crump explains the safety zones that will be enforced by the Coast Guard during the 2012 Fleet Week celebration ...
- Explanation of Formula One Racing Flags - Auto Body Garage San Francisco
- San Francisco meaning
- San Francisco Meaning
Video shows what San Francisco means. A major coastal city in California of over 800000 widely known for its unique culture, architecture, and LGBT population ...
- 22 Transport in San Francisco vocabulary
- CDA San Francisco: 3M True Definition Scanner's 'Trusted Connection'
- Fake tales of San Francisco (Arctic Monkeys)- Slang
Slang (Brit Rock) - Dover, 19-10-2012.
- 20 Visiting San Francisco vocabulary
Vocabulary related to "Visiting San Francisco"
- Mat Kearney - Rochester (acoustic) w/ song explanation - Infusion (San Francisco, CA)
- 21 San Francisco Districts vocabulary
- Video Production in San Francisco by eIMAGE: Depth-of-Field Explanation
- Talenschool St. Giles International San Francisco, VS - ESL Taalreizen
Vraag een gratis brochures aan op...
- ILSC San Francisco Language School
Order a brochure free of charge at...
- Brandon College San Francisco Language Schools Vocational
Is English not your native tongue? Since 1938, Brandon College of San Francisco has provided superior language courses to their students, with programs for ...
- Transworld Schools ESL Program in San Francisco
Transworld Schools is one of the best English Language Institutes in U.S.A. You will have an amazing learning experience in San Francisco.
- Happy Hour Language Classes at ILSC San Francisco - Meet the Instructors
ILSC San Francisco offers fun, engaging Happy Hour Evening Language Classes. ILSC makes language learning fun and convenient with classes twice a week ...
- San Francisco Trip 2013 MVCS ESL
- Intrax San Francisco English Language School
Visit us at...
- Porter Robinson - Language (ending song) - Worlds Tour San Francisco
Porter Robinson - Language - Worlds Tour San Francisco.
- Language of the Birds North Beach San Francisco California
"Language of the Birds" sculpture by Brian Goggin and Dorka Keehn at the intersection of Broadway and Columbus Avenue in the North Beach neighborhood of ...
- ELS Language Centers, San Francisco
- EF San Francisco 2009 Language Travel
Education First (EF) is a global language travel company that specializes in international cultural exchange, foreign language instruction, and educational travel.
- Language study stay in San Francisco, USA
- San Francisco Language Center
- St. Giles Language School San Francisco - The Video
- DUMP CITIZENS UNITED . . BODY LANGUAGE BEACH BANNER SAN FRANCISCO
- Dillon Francis "Language" Live at The Warfield San Francisco,CA 4/13/2012 1080
- CISL San Francisco Language School - Angela's Testimonial
CISL SF student Angela, from Brazil, discusses her experience studying English in San Francisco California.
- Speech Language Pathology Education in San Francisco, CA
See also the pronunciation examples of San Francisco!
British Sign Language San Francisco Earthquake
SDL san Francisco earthquake translation.
Quotes about San Francisco
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of San Francisco to see it in context!