|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- confidently optimistic and cheerful
- inclined to a healthy reddish color often associated with outdoor life
Alternative definition of the adjective Sanguine
- Having the colour of blood; red.
- [obsolete, physiology] Having a bodily constitution characterised by a preponderance of blood over the other bodily humours, thought to be marked by irresponsible mirth; indulgent in pleasure to the exclusion of important matters.
- Characterized by abundance and active circulation of blood.
- Warm; ardent.
- synonym: bullish
- Anticipating the best; optimistic; not despondent; confident; full of hope.
- synonym: buoyant
Definition of the noun Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sanguines
- a blood-red color
Alternative definition of the noun Sanguine
- Blood colour; red.
- Anything of a blood-red color, as cloth.
- See Bloodstone.
- Red crayon. See the Note under crayon, 1.
Definition of the verb Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sanguined | sanguining | sanguines
- To stain with blood; to impart the color of blood to; to ensanguine.
Sanguine is a four piece alt-metal band formed in Exeter in the UK.
"Sanguine" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Romain Humeau
- Sanguine is a tincture in heraldry, otherwise one of the "staynard colours". In the past it was sometimes taken to be equivalent to murrey, but they are now definitely considered two distinct tinctures. It is a brownish red, the colour of arterial blood.
- Sanguine was the name of an SLF-transmitter of the US-Navy, which was used to transmit on the frequency 76 hertz signals to submarines. The transmitter sites were in Michigan and Wisconsin. As aerial ground dipoles were used.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for sanguine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Dennis Hauck
The word sanguine refers to a ruddy complexion in which the blood flows close to the skin. Sanguine people tend to be very changeable and even flighty, a little irritable yet basically optimistic, and full of personal integrity. According to Aristotle ...
And Such Words and Phrases of the Collateral Sciences as Pertain to the Art and Practice of Dentistry by Chapin Aaron Harris
The sanguine or umgm'neoua ; (2) the bilious or cholen'c; (3) the phlegmah'c or lymphatic ; and (4) the nervous temperament. The sanguineous or ...
by William Dwight Whitney
saw- outs, blood (see sang3, sanguine), + colere, inhabit.] Living in the blood , as a parasite ; hema- tobic. Also sanguinicolous. sanguiferous (sang-gwif 'e-rus) , a. [< XL. "san- guifer, blood-conveying, K L. sanguis, blood, + ferre = E. bear1.
J Sanguine. But these bearings. These tinctures are represented in engravings and drawings (the invention of the ingenious Silvester Pe- tra Sancta, an Italian author of the 17th century) by dots and lines, as in fig. ii. n° 1 — 9. Or is expressed ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney ... rev. & enl. under the superintendence of Benjamin E. Smith (1911)
sanguis, blood (Bee sang3, sanguine), + colere, inhabit.] Living in the blood, as a parasite; hema- tobic. Also sanguinicolous. sanguiferous (sang-gwif 'e-rus), a. [< NL. "san- guifer, blood-conveying, K L. sanguis, blood, + ferre = E. bear1.] ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for sanguine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about sanguine
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video language resources about sanguine
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of sanguine!
Quotes about sanguine
They act as if they supposed that to be very sanguine about the general improvement of mankind is a virtue that relieves them from taking trouble about any improvement in particular. (John Morley)
more quotes about sanguine...
Scrabble value of S1A1N1G2U1I1N1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SANGUINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- GENUS NIA
See also the blanagrams of sanguine!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of sanguine to see it in context!