On this page:
- Definition of the adjective Sanguine
- Definition of the noun Sanguine
- Definition of the verb Sanguine
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sanguine
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sanguine
- Photos about Sanguine
- Videos about Sanguine
- Quotes about Sanguine
- Scrabble value of S1A1N1G2U1I1N1E1
- Anagrams of SANGUINE
- Share this page
Sanguine (ruddy; cheerfully optimistic) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Kaplan GRE Exam Vocabulary in a Box, which includes 500 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more sanguine / most sanguine
- confidently optimistic and cheerful
- inclined to a healthy reddish color often associated with outdoor life
Alternative definition of the adjective Sanguine
- Having the colour of blood; red.
- [obsolete, physiology] Having a bodily constitution characterised by a preponderance of blood over the other bodily humours, thought to be marked by irresponsible mirth; indulgent in pleasure to the exclusion of important matters.
- Characterized by abundance and active circulation of blood.
- Warm; ardent.
- synonym: bullish
- Anticipating the best; optimistic; not despondent; confident; full of hope.
- synonym: buoyant
Definition of the adjective Sanguine for high school students
- optimistic, cheery
- example: Polly reacted to any bad news with a sanguine smile and the chirpy cry, "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!"
The adjective Sanguine is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Definition of the noun Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sanguines
- a blood-red color
Alternative definition of the noun Sanguine
- Blood colour; red.
- Anything of a blood-red color, as cloth.
- See Bloodstone.
- Red crayon. See the Note under crayon, 1.
Definition of the verb Sanguine
What does Sanguine mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sanguined | sanguining | sanguines
- To stain with blood; to impart the color of blood to; to ensanguine.
Sanguine is a four piece alternative metal band formed in Exeter in the UK.
- "Sanguine" a.k.a. "Sanguine (Joli Fruit)" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Sanguine" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Romain Humeau
- "Sanguine" is a musical album of Ysa Ferrer.
- released on
- "Sanguine" is a musical album of Harmful.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Sanguine" is a musical album of Julianna Barwick.
- released in (9 years ago)
Sanguine ist die Bezeichnung eines ehemaligen US-amerikanischen Längstwellensenders. Er diente der Alarmierung tiefgetauchter U-Boote auf der Frequenz 76 Hertz. Bis zum September 2004 wurden zwei Sendestationen in den USA betrieben, die jeweils mit Bodendipolen als Antennen ausgestattet waren.
Sanguine is a stain, or non-standard tincture in heraldry, of a blood-red colour. In the past it was sometimes taken to be equivalent to murrey, but they are now considered two distinct tinctures. It is a brownish red, the colour of arterial blood.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sanguine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
And Such Words and Phrases of the Collateral Sciences as Pertain to the Art and Practice of Dentistry by Chapin Aaron Harris
The sanguine or umgm'neoua ; (2) the bilious or cholen'c; (3) the phlegmah'c or lymphatic ; and (4) the nervous temperament. The sanguineous or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sanguine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sanguine
Click on an item to view that photo:
Videos about Sanguine
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Sanguine!
Quotes about Sanguine
They act as if they supposed that to be very sanguine about the general improvement of mankind is a virtue that relieves them from taking trouble about any improvement in particular. (John Morley)
more quotes about sanguine...
Scrabble value of S1A1N1G2U1I1N1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SANGUINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sanguine!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sanguine to see it in context!