The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun scar:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb scar:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun scar
- Definition of the verb scar
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Scar
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Scar
- Photos about Scar
- Video about Scar
- Quotes about Scar
- Scrabble value of S1C3A1R1
- Anagrams of SCAR
- Share this page
Scar is sometimes a misspelling of scare.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun scar
What does scar mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: scars
- a mark left (usually on the skin) by the healing of injured tissue
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of scar: cicatrice / cicatrix
- more generic word: symptom = any sensation or change in bodily function that is experienced by a patient and is associated with a particular disease
- more specific words:
- callus = bony tissue formed during the healing of a fractured bone
- cheloid / keloid = raised pinkish scar tissue at the site of an injury
- pockmark = a scar or pit on the skin that is left by a pustule of smallpox or acne or other eruptive disease
- sword-cut = a scar from a cut made by a sword
- vaccination = the scar left following inoculation with a vaccine
- an indication of damage
Alternative definition of the noun scar
- A permanent mark on the skin sometimes caused by the healing of a wound.
- a cliff
- a rock in the sea breaking out from the surface of the water
Definition of the verb scar
What does scar mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: scarred, scarring
- mark with a scar
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of scar: mark / pit / pock
- more generic words: blemish / deface / disfigure = mar or spoil the appearance of
- more specific words:
- entailment: incise = make an incision into by carving or cutting
Alternative definition of the verb scar
- To mark the skin permanently
- Scar a.k.a. The Predator is a fictional character from the 1987 movie Predator.
- read more about Predator
- Scar was the main antagonist of the Lion King franchise. He was Simba's uncle, Mufasa's younger brother, and Ahadi's second and youngest son. In a deleted scene from The Lion King, it was revealed that Scar chose Nala to be his queen, but he and the hyenas ended up banishing her and the other lionesses when Nala refused to marry Scar and they stood up against him. He was voiced by Jeremy Irons in the first film, Jim Cummings in the second film, James Horan in Kingdom Hearts II, and Tom Kane in Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom.
- Scar, also known as Scarred Man, is a fictional character from the Fullmetal Alchemist manga series and its adaptations created by Hiromu Arakawa. Scar is introduced as a villain who targets alchemists working for the state military from the fictional country of Amestris. Scar is from the race of Ishval that was almost exterminated in a previous civil war against the state military, most notably their alchemists. His alias is derived from the prominent X-shaped scar that decorates his brow with his birth name being unknown. As the series continues, Scar's backstory is further explored and he questions his motives.
- occupation: Assassin
- Scar è un personaggio dei fumetti DC Comics. È una supercriminale, che compare per la prima volta come Guardiano dell'Universo senza nome in Green Lantern n. 25 e viene nominata per la prima volta in Origin and Omens del febbraio 2009.
- created by Geoff Johns
- "Scar" is a horror/crime thriller film. It stars actress Angela Bettis, known for starring in the remake of the horror classic horror film Carrie. It is the first US produced 3D full length feature film to be completed in HD 3D and the first-ever 3D Video on demand film released for 3D televisions.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Rahil Bhorania
- genres: Crime Fiction, Horror, Science Fiction, Slasher, B movie, Thriller
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (7 years ago)
- official website: www.scarthemovie.com
- "Scar" is a 2011 short, biographical, family film writen by Fifer Garbesi and directed by Raymundo Archilla, Fifer Garbesi, and Lauren Lindberg.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: Fifer Garbesi, Raymundo Archilla, Lauren Lindberg
- executive producer: Jason Jakaitis
- written by Fifer Garbesi
- starring: Nathan Forster as Scar
- cinematography by Lauren Lindberg & Raymundo Archilla
- edited by Raymundo Archilla & Lauren Lindberg
- genres: Family, Biographical film
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Scar" is a pop song written by Australian singer Missy Higgins and Kevin Griffin of American band Better Than Ezra. Released on 2 August 2004 on Eleven, it was the first single from Higgins' debut album The Sound of White. The single is her most successful thus far, entering the ARIA singles chart at #1 and going platinum.
- "Scar" is the eighth studio album by Joe Henry, released in May 2001 on Mammoth Records. Co-produced by Craig Street, it marked another shift in direction for Henry's music, and a foray into the genres of jazz and soul music. The opening track is a homage to comedian Richard Pryor, and according to Henry's essay "The Ghost in the Song," he was "called by a vision" to collaborate with free jazz artist Ornette Coleman.
- genre: Alternative rock
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Scar" is a musical EP of Lush.
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Scar" is a musical album of Scar.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "SCAR" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Scar" is a musical EP of Lucy Rose.
- released on
- "scar" is a composition.
- music by 林ゆうき
- "Scar" is a musical single of Cloud Control.
- released on
- "Scar" is a musical single of Lucy Rose.
- released on
- "Scar" is a musical album of Aliaj.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Scar" is a musical album of Mastic Scum.
- released on (12 years ago)
Who is Scar?
Scar a.k.a. David Hodo: David "Scar" Hodo was the construction worker character in the group, Village People from 1978-2013.
- read more about David Hodo (singer)
- Scar is a musical group.
- album: "Scar"
- Scar a.k.a. scar. is a musical group.
- albums: "Impure/realize", "01"
- official website: www.scar.jp
Scar a.k.a. Chacalluta International Airport is an airport serving the city of Arica, capital of the Arica Province in the northern Arica y Parinacota Region of Chile. It is located 18.5 kilometres northeast of the city and 1 kilometre south of the border with Peru.
- also known as Chacalluta Airport
- part of Chile
- Scar a.k.a. Scar1 is a protein.
- read more about Scar1
- Scar: In physics, and especially quantum chaos, a wavefunction scar is an enhancement of an eigenfunction along unstable classical periodic orbits. Scars are related to the correspondence principle. The existence of the scar is directly implied by the Ehrenfest theorem. While the only way the wave function of the stationary system can propagate is through the evolution of quantum phases of its components and the corresponding Gaussian wave packet must on the other hand move along the classical stable or unstable trajectory there must be therefore eigenstates along the periodic trajectory so large that those components lead to this persistent propagation. Quantum scars in quantum stadium can be readily understood as periodic solutions of the Klein–Gordon equation with the imaginary time when the along width coordinate of the stadium is the time and the scar energy is the square of the relativistic mass energy at rest.
- Scar is a marketing campaign.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Scar
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Monster That Is History (2004)
History, Violence, and Fictional Writing in Twentieth-Century China by David Der-Wei Wang
a scar is the body's way of simultaneously affirming and denying a man-made or accidental injury. The scar is a sign of the healing, and sealing, of that which has been unnaturally opened and exposed. But so long as the line of laceration ...
Easy, Flavorful Recipes to Prevent and Decrease Side Effects at Every Stage of Conventional Therapy by Susan Gins, MA, MS, CN, Lisa A. Price, ND
A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed and healed, done with. — Harry Crews eating as a prescription Bone Broth Smothered Liver Nutritional Vegetable Broth Tuna and Avocado Salad Mango Lassi Nutty Smoothie Coconut “Ice ...
by Kalyanam Shivkumar, Noel Boyle
the left ventricle is the site of origin of sustained VT in more than 90% of the cases, and an inferolateral basal scar is the main substrate in around 70% of patients.29,30 As demonstrated in Chagas disease and other structural heart diseases, ...
Pediatric Facial and Reconstructive Surgery, An Issue of Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America, (2014)
by Sherard Austin Tatum
The re-excision scar is a few millimeters longer in ...
Anatomy and Physiology (2015)
by Kevin T. Patton
thick scar is a keloid (Figure 8-7) D. Epithelial and connective tissues have the greatest ability to regenerate E. Muscle and nervous tissues have limited capacity to regenerate Body Membranes A. Thin tissue layers that cover surfaces, line ...
by MILEHAM HAYES
b b a The central scar is the common diagonal. b Incisions result in two triangular flaps that are lifted and transposed. c 60° Adapted from Robinson JK, Hanke WC, Sengelmann R et al (eds). Surgery of the Skin. Philadelphia: Mosby, 2005; Fig ...
by Equine Research
A scar has formed from the fibrous adhesions, leaving the tissue area ...
cicatricial pemphigoid [L, cicatrix, scar; Gk, pemphix, blister or bubble; eidos, form ], a benign, chronic, usually bilateral, subepidermal blistering disease chiefly involving the mucous membranes, especially those of the mouth and eye. It heals ...
by Carol Turkington, Jeffrey S. Dover
scar show the signs by three months of age. This condition is characterized by dirty brown scales that usually cover the entire body, except for the face, palms , and soles of the feet. Female carriers may have certain eye abnormalities, but ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Scar
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Scar
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: TheArtificer
Self portrait; Inspired in part by Richard Avedon's portrait of Andy Warhol.
Photo credit: amberley johanna
Olympus OM-1N, Superia 400.
Photo credit: equineocean
Photo credit: VBC17
about 5 weeks out-It's going to be a pretty scar :)
Photo credit: mstresbabette
- DXO Scar
For a new Scar Project
Photo credit: danxoneil
- Scar Detritus
Photo credit: bixentro
- Head Scar
Photo credit: moonpointer 1
- Scar Top
Photo credit: Tim Green aka atoach
- Waterfall in White Scar Caves
Photo credit: Andrew and Annemarie
View more pictures about Gordale Scar.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Scar
Video shows what scar means. A permanent mark on the skin sometimes caused by the healing of a wound.. scar synonyms: cicatrice. scar pronunciation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Scar!
Quotes about Scar
A scar for the scar is bravery.
To ignore a scar is chivalry.
To forgive it is exemplary.
Then, you must have a thick skin
To be branded a coward.
30.06.2005 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about scar...
Scrabble value of S1C3A1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SCAR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Scar!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Scar to see it in context!