Seam appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Pussy ban at Esmae’s: a seam set an abyss up.
- Sex alert: in a mask comes a consort, seam not pure, hair astray, roving in ebony, no benign ivory art sari… ah, erupt on maestros; no case mocks a man it relaxes.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun seam:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun seam
- Definition of the verb seam
- Phrases with Seam
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Seam
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Seam
- Photos about Seam
- Videos about Seam
- Quotes about Seam
- Scrabble value of S1E1A1M3
- Anagrams of SEAM
- Share this page
Seam is sometimes a misspelling of seem.
The word seam is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun seam
What does seam mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: seams
- joint consisting of a line formed by joining two pieces
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: joint = junction by which parts or objects are joined together
- more specific terms:
- a slight depression or fold in the smoothness of a surface
- lexical domain: Shapes - nouns denoting two and three dimensional shapes
- synonyms of seam: crease / crinkle / furrow / line / wrinkle
- more generic words: depression / impression / imprint = a concavity in a surface produced by pressing
- more specific terms:
- crow's feet / crow's foot / laugh line = a wrinkle in the skin at the outer corner of your eyes
- dermatoglyphic = the lines that form patterns on the skin
- frown line = a facial wrinkle associated with frowning
- line of life / life line / lifeline = a crease on the palm
- line of heart / mensal line / heart line / love line = a crease on the palm
- line of destiny / line of Saturn / line of fate = a crease on the palm
- part of: cutis / skin / tegument = a natural protective body covering and site of the sense of touch
- a stratum of ore or coal thick enough to be mined with profit
Alternative definition of the noun seam
- [sewing] A folded back and stitched piece of fabric; especially, the stitching that joins two or more pieces of fabric.
- A suture.
- A thin stratum, especially of coal or mineral.
- [cricket] The stitched equatorial seam of a cricket ball; the sideways movement of a ball when it bounces on the seam.
- An old English measure of grain, containing eight bushels.
- An old English measure of glass, containing twenty-four weys of five pounds, or 120 pounds.
- (Construction) A joint formed by mating two separate sections of materials. Seams can be made or sealed in a varity of ways, including adhesive bonding, hot-air welding, solvent welding, using adhesive tapes, sealant, etc.
Specialised definition of the noun seam
Glossary of sports / cricket
a ball seams if it deviates after pitching on the raised stitching that joins together the two pieces of leather which encase the ball (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb seam
What does seam mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: seamed | seaming | seams
- put together with a seam
Alternative definition of the verb seam
- To put together with a seam.
- To mark with a seam.
- To crack open along a seam.
- [cricket] Of the ball, to move sideways after bouncing on the seam.
- [cricket] Of a bowler, to make the ball move thus.
Seam was an American indie rock band from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Active from 1991 to 2000, led by Sooyoung Park, former frontman of Bitch Magnet, and with the initial line-up including bassist Lexi Mitchell and drummer Mac McCaughan.
- also known as Сеам
- genres: Indie rock, Slowcore, Post-hardcore
- albums: "Are You Driving Me Crazy?", "Headsparks", "Kernel", "The Pace Is Glacial", "The Problem With Me", "Days of Thunder", "Granny 9x", "Sukiyaki"
- released in (4 years ago)
Seam a.k.a. Chachoan Airport is an airport serving Ambato, a city in the province of Tungurahua in Ecuador.
- part of Ecuador
- Seam: In sewing, a seam is the join where two or more layers of fabric, leather, or other materials are held together with stitches. Prior to the invention of the sewing machine, all sewing was done by hand. Seams in modern mass-produced household textiles, sporting goods, and ready-to-wear clothing are sewn by computerized machines, while home shoemaking, dressmaking, quilting, crafts, haute couture and tailoring may use a combination of hand and machine sewing.
- Seam a.k.a. Hemming and seaming are two similar metalworking processes in which a sheet metal edge is rolled over onto itself. Hemming is the process in which the edge is rolled flush to itself, while a seam joins the edges of two materials.
- read more about Hemming and seaming
Phrases with Seam
Phrase starting with the word Seam:
Phrases ending with the word Seam:
Other phrases containing the word Seam:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Seam
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Results of the First SEAM Conference in North America by Henri Savall, John Conbere, Alla Heorhiadi, Vincent Cristallini, Anthony F. Buono
Vincent Cristallini: SEAM is an ongoing, never-ending improvement process. You have to consider the dynamics:...
by Henry W. Ott
Seams A seam is a long narrow slot that may or may not make electrical contact at various points along its length. It is sometimes difficult to visualize a seam as a radiating structure because one of the dimensions is so small, possibly ...
Seam Framework (2009)
Experience the Evolution of Java EE by Michael Yuan, Jacob Orshalick, Thomas Heute
A remarkable thing about Seam is that it provides a consistent state management framework for everything from conversation states to...
Regulating Danger (1990)
The Struggle for Mine Safety in the Rocky Mountain Coal Industry by James Whiteside
A coal seam is a pool of organic matter compressed and solidified over time by heat and the weight of overlying strata deposited by the earth's violent self- transformations. If this subterranean mass cannot be exposed and mined by removing ...
Designing on the Bias (2010)
by Teresa Allum
Repeat the last two rows until the long center seam is the desired length.
Orthopaedic Pathology (2009)
by Peter G. Bullough
Directly under the osteoid seam is a dark layer of mineralized bone containing an osteocyte (× 10,000). The osteocytes are connected with each other and with osteoblasts on the surface of the bone by a series of cell processes that run ...
Acoustical Imaging (2011)
by Michael P Andre, Joie P. Jones, Hua Lee
Linear weld seam is a classical object for nondestructive evaluation. A wide range of applications and variety of welding conditions provides a permanent challenge and requires a new solution for each particular problem. Ultrasound methods ...
by Thérèse de Dillmont
Openwork seam. stitches, placed alternately on the two edges to be joined. The first and the third stitch are worked over two threads, the middle one over four. The groups are five threads apart from each other. The seam represented in fig.
Seam,sēm,n. (Shak.) grease, hog'slard.—v.t. togrease. [O.Fr. sain—L. sagina, grease.] Seam, sēm, n. that which is sewed: a ...
by Henry Watts
seam, Dun raven Colliery, Tre- herbert, 225 yards from the surface. 2. Gas obtained by boring into the coal, 6-ft. seam, Dunravou Colliery, 25 yards from the surface. 8. Gas from top rock of 4-ft. seam ...
by Robert Hunt
The best " house coal " still conies from the remains of the " High chain " on the Tyne, and from the " Hutton seam " on the Wear; but the collieries north of the Tees have acquired a high reputation. As a general view of the groups of strata the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Seam
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Seam
Click on an item to view that photo:
Tuning Kisslicer settings
Photo credit: Robosprout
Rivets hold this Trunk together.!!
Photo credit: don.wing45
Photo credit: Dawn Endico
Photo credit: Chad and Steph
Photo credit: RedButtons
Photo credit: GlamGuru
Photo credit: kellyhogaboom
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: trekkyandy
queen st. w.
Photo credit: marc falardeau
- Seam Reap
Photo credit: tonnoro
- Lucid souls without a seam
They all have lips profoundly tired
and lucid souls without a seam,
and yearning (like a sin desired)
moves sometimes slowly through their dream.
Rilke ~ The Angels
Photo credit: Cate Storymoon
- The Seam
Andreas Manessinger, manessinger.com, Creative Commons BY-SA
Photo credit: amanessinger
- Back Seam
That's right. The lineup is perfect.
Photo credit: kellyhogaboom
- Back Seam Stockings
Photo credit: ptxdview
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Seam
Click on an item to play that video:
- Seam Meaning
Video shows what seam means. A folded back and stitched piece of fabric; especially, the stitching that joins two or more pieces of fabric.. A suture.. A thin ...
- Basic Meaning of Seam In Cricket
Know the basic meaning of seam in the context of cricket ball and in the context of cricket pitch.
- Field seam Meaning
Video shows what field seam means. A splice or seam made in the field (not factory) where overlapping sheets are joined together using an adhesive, splicing ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Seam!
Quotes about Seam
The stronger the seam the worse the rent.
more quotes about seam...
Scrabble value of S1E1A1M3
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SEAM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Seam!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Seam to see it in context!