Select appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- To get select ratio, do two hero-men I fed define more "how to do it" art Celeste got?
- Steel from a Nestle candy bar: ban it, upset it, select it… celestites put in a bra by DNA Celts enamor fleets!
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective select
- Definition of the verb select
- Phrases with Select
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Select
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Select
- Usage statistics about select
- Photos about Select
- Video language resources about Select
- Quotes about Select
- Scrabble value of S1E1L1E1C3T1
- Anagrams of SELECT
- Share this page
The word select is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
The word select and its family (selected, selecting, selection, selections, selective, selectively, selector, selectors, selects) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective select
What does select mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more select / most select
- of superior grade
- selected or chosen for special qualifications
Alternative definition of the adjective select
- Privileged, specially selected.
- Of high quality; top-notch.
Definition of the verb select
What does select mean as a doing word?
Select is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: selected | selecting | selects
- pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
- examples: She selected a pair of shoes from among the dozen the salesgirl had shown her | They select him to write the letter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, object control with -ing] He characterized him as being smart Verbs with Predicative Complements: adopt, bill, cast, certify, class, classify, count, depict, detail, diagnose, envision, hail, interpret, judge, paint, peg, perceive, picture, pigeonhole, praise, rank, recast, regard, specify, stereotype, take, treat, typecast [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, small clause] He characterized him to be smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] He characterized him as smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Carmen bought a dress | Carmen obtained the spare part Verbs of Change of Possession: accept, accrue, accumulate, appropriate, borrow, cadge, collect, exact, grab, inherit, receive, recover, regain, retrieve, seize, snatch [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] Carmen bought a dress from Diana | Carmen obtained the spare part from Diana
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of select: choose / pick out / take
- more generic terms: decide / determine / make up one's mind = reach, make, or come to a decision about something
- more specific terms:
- empanel / impanel / panel = select from a list
- anoint = choose by or as if by divine intervention
- field = select (a team or individual player) for a game
- sieve / sift = distinguish and separate out
- draw = select or take in from a given group or region
- dial = choose by means of a dial
- plump / go = give support (to) or make a choice (of) one out of a group or number
- pick = select carefully from a group
- elect = choose
- take out / excerpt / extract = take out of a literary work in order to cite or copy
- cull out / winnow = select desirable parts from a group or list
- cream off / skim off = pick the best
- pick over / sieve out = separate or remove
- set apart / specify / assign = select something or someone for a specific purpose
- single out = select from a group
- think of = choose in one's mind
- determine / specify / define / limit / fix / set = decide upon or fix definitely
- espouse / follow / adopt = choose and follow
- screen out / screen / sieve / sort = examine in order to test suitability
- vote in = elect in a voting process
- elect = select by a vote for an office or membership
- nominate / propose = put forward
- vote = express one's preference for a candidate or for a measure or resolution
Alternative definition of the verb select
- "Select" is the second studio album by Kim Wilde, released in May 1982.
- "Select" is a musical album of Savvas Ysatis.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "SELECT" is a composition.
- music by Naoki Maeda
- "Select" is a musical album of NTBullock.
- released in (12 years ago)
- Select: The SQL SELECT statement returns a result set of records from one or more tables.
- also known as 查询
- Select was a United Kingdom music magazine of the 1990s which was particularly known for covering Britpop, a term coined in the magazine by Stuart Maconie. Its 1993 "Yanks Go Home" edition, featuring The Auteurs, Denim, Saint Etienne, Pulp and Suede's Brett Anderson on the cover in front of a Union Flag, was an important impetus in defining the movement's opposition to American genres such as grunge.
- SELECT, founded in 1900 as the Electrical Contractors' Association of Scotland, is the Scottish construction trade association for specialist businesses in the electrical industry.
Phrases with Select
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Select
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
op SELECT AND POPULAR WHICH ARE IN DAILY USE: TAKEN FROM THE Tiattn, jFreuch, Ofredt, Spanish, an* JStaltan LANGUAGES! TOGETHER WITH 4 COPIOUS COLLECTION OF LAW MAXIMS AND LAW-TERMS TRANSLATED INTO ...
by Peter M. Collins
Edit Select Edit from the Template menu, if you want to modify a template file. Open the required template file, as described above, then you can draw any additional template structures, or editing any of the templates displayed. When you have ...
by Anna DiStefano, Kjell Erik Rudestam, Robert Silverman
Select. Print. and. Nonprint. Resources. on. Distributed. Learning. Appendix C: Conferences on Distributed Learning Entry Format • Conference. Periodicals and Web Sites American Journal of Distance Education: http:// www.ajde.com ...
The A to Z Desktop Reference of Photoshop by Philip Andrews
Select the top layer and then choose Layer > Create Clipping ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Select
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about select
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb select:
Photos about Select
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Sort and Select
Sort and select is a normal action by buyers at the morning market to get their best deal.
Photo credit: Johnragai-Moment Catcher
- Hotel & Restaurant Select Iasi
Hotel & Restaurant Select Iasi
Photo credit: Cost3l
- Pink Dogwoods Color Select
Played around with the "color select" option, where only one color - pink in this case - shows up, with the rest black and white. It works pretty well, and really shows off the numbers of flowers.
Photo credit: Mrs. Gemstone
View more pictures about select b.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Select
Click on an item to play that video:
- DEF LEPPARD - SLANG (Deluxe Edition) - Album Sampler (Select Tracks)
SLANG Deluxe Edition Out 11 February 2014 CD/Digital/Vinyl Formats The Ultimate Collection that features the original 1996 album release remastered, as well ...
- Select Meaning
Video shows what select means. Privileged, specially selected.. Of high quality; top-notch.. select pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- ALP 4-12 - 4 Step Process To Select Vocabulary Words
- AdWord Keywords Tool Full Explanation. Learn To Select Effective Keywords !
Learn easily how to select effective best keywords by using your google adword keywords tool. Full explanation about keyword tool using and implementation.
- Select Cutting Explanation Using a Stripper Card Deck
Select Cutting Explanation Using a Stripper Card Deck. Part of the series: Card Tricks: How to Use a Stripper Deck, Part Two. Watch an explanation of cutting to ...
- Select Meaning
Video shows what Select means. A button (of a joystick, joypad or similar device) that, when pressed, activates any of certain predefined functions that usually, ...
- 10. Jazz Spastiks - Select the Dialect
The Product Instrumentals - 2014 Producers: Coconut Delight and Mr. Manyana...
- MAJOR DEFINITION WORKSHOP - BOOGIEMIND - SELECT GROUP
MAJOR DEFINITION (umbc) DANCE WORKSHOP !!!!!! SATURDAY : FEB 2ND : 2008 CHOREOGRAPHERS: ESER VALENCIA "MAGIC" MIKE ARELLANO ...
- Major Definition Public Class 9/9/2008 select group
2nd Public Class of the Fall 2008 season song: "Lost Without You" by Robin Thicke choreographed by Paolo "P-Slice" Penala, Major Definition.
- Major Definition Workshop Justin Cortez Select Group
- Sportron Select Plan - explanation
- WordQ Getting Started Creating a Profile Select Your Vocabulary
- Inter-Action (Select the 10 vocabulary words to teach)
- How to Fix FIFA 15 Select Language Crash
This is how to fix fifa 15 crash after selecting language and fixing Sandboxie crash. Step 1 : Get Fifa 15 crack Step 2 : Get Sandboxie Step 3 : Disable Media ...
- Issue 3: Frozen Install Windows select language screen via Boot Camp Mac Windows 7
This video is about how to resolve a frozen 'select language' screen issue when installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp Macbook Pro Retina OS X Mavericks For ...
- Calendars Pro 2016 - Select Language and Holidays
Calendars Pro 2016 Win-MAC is new stand-alone software specifically designed to expedite the creation and the layout process of high quality professional ...
- Coeo Select Language
- SQL: Data Manipulation Language INSERT / UPDATE / SELECT / DELETE
This screencast will demonstrate how to use the SQL DML statements to manipulate the data in your tables: INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE and SELECT. Watch ...
- Select language to use
- Select your preferred language.
Choose a language of your choice on QuikrCars. Download the Quikr App now...
- XBOX.COM HOW SELECT LANGUAGE FIX PROBLEM COUNTRY TEXT XBOX360 XBOXONE
- 052 - Hot to select language on your Cochlear Nucleus 6 Remote Assistant (CR230)
- NTS200 Select language
- 33 Oracle 12c Structured Query Language SQL Select
Node.js Video Tutorials.
- Select Language & Sharp Image
- Krento Select Language
How to select user interface language in Krento.
- Aday.org - Upload tutorial (click CC first to select your language!)
Please click CC to select your language first! This video explains how you upload, tag and add information to the photos you take on May 15.
- SAP HANA Academy - Structured Query Language series: 2. Select & From Clauses
Watch as Tahir Hussain Babar walks us through using the SQL Editor to select data within SAP HANA tables.
- InCom Widgets: E-mail Alerts, Select Language
Your Incom website is powered by Widgets. Widgets are applications that you place on your website for specific functionality. Learn which widgets are best for ...
- Select Dictionary
View more videos about select a.
See also the pronunciation examples of Select!
Quotes about Select
To will is to select a goal, determine a course of action that will bring one to that goal, and then hold to that action till the goal is reached. The key is action. (Michael Hanson)
more quotes about select...
Scrabble value of S1E1L1E1C3T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SELECT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Select!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Select to see it in context!