On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun serranidae
What does serranidae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- marine fishes: sea basses; sea perches; groupers; jewfish
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Serranidae: family Serranidae
- more generic term: fish family = any of various families of fish
- member of: order Perciformes / order Percomorphi / Perciformes / Percomorphi = one of the largest natural groups of fishes of both marine and fresh water: true perches; basses
- serranid fish / serranid = marine food sport fishes mainly of warm coastal waters
- genus Morone / Morone = carnivorous fresh and salt water fishes
- sea bass = any of various food and sport fishes of the Atlantic coast of the United States having an elongated body and long spiny dorsal fin
- genus Synagrops / Synagrops = a genus of Serranidae
- genus Centropristis / Centropristis = sea basses
- genus Roccus / Roccus = a genus of Serranidae
- genus Polyprion / Polyprion = wreckfish
- genus Serranus / Serranus = type genus of the Serranidae: mostly small Pacific sea basses
- genus Epinephelus / Epinephelus = genus of groupers or sea bass
- genus Paranthias / Paranthias = a genus of Serranidae
- genus Mycteroperca / Mycteroperca = groupers
- genus Rypticus / Rypticus = a genus of fish of the family Serranidae, including soapfishes
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Serranidae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Umberto Albarella, Mauro Rizzetto, Hannah Russ, Kim Vickers, Sarah Viner-Daniels
Notably, Serranidae is a speciose family with considerable variation in habitats, dietary preferences, body size, and life history traits. Subfamilial identifications are critically needed to better understand unique aspects of makatea island ...
Reef Fishes of Hong Kong (2000)
by Yvonne Sadovy, Andrew S. Cornish
The Serranidae is a large and diverse famiLy of tropical, and temperate marine fishes numbering about 450 species in 62 genera. They are typically robust- bodied, the operculum has three spines and the dorsal fin is usually continuous ...
Ecomorphology of fishes (2013)
by Joseph J. Luczkovich, Philip J. Motta, Stephen F. Norton, Karel F. Liem
A salient feature of the species in our analysis of the family Serranidae is that they do not show strong variation in overall body or head shape, ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
Serranidae (sea bass, grouper; subclass *Actinopterygii, order *Perciformes) A very large family of marine fish, often with a somewhat robust, fully scaled body, and single, continuous, *dorsal fin that consists of a spiny and a softrayed section .
by Richard Allsopp, Jeannette Allsopp
Mycteroperca venenosa (Serranidae); FH badeche de rochef.
Encyclopedia of the Arctic (2012)
by Mark Nuttall
murray cod (Macculochella, Serranidae, Perciformes), rock cod (Epinephelus, Serranidae), southern rock cod (Nototheniidae), and toothed cod (Arctogadus, Gadidae and A. borisovi). Cod have three ...
by Daniel Coit Gilman, Frank Moore Colby, Harry Thurston Peck
A large family (Serranidae) of marine, perch-like fishes, abounding in all warm seas and in some fresh waters. They remain as a rule in comparatively deep water, except when they approach the shore for spawning in the early summer; are ...
by John Gunn
Redcoloured fish of Mediterranean caves include, for example, the suprabenthic Anthias anthias (Serranidae) and Apogon imberbis (Apogonidae), as well as the epibenthic Lipophrys nigriceps (Blenniidae) and Tripterygion melanurus ...
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
Bigscale, and Whalefishes Zeomorphi John Dories* Antigoniidae Boarfishes Grammicolepidae Grammicolepids Percomorphi Perchlike Fishes Suborder: Percoidea Serranidae Bass" (includes Groupers) Theraponidae Tigerfishes Kuhliidae ...
by John F. Mariani
The American HeritageDictionary defines bass,first, as“any of severalNorth American freshwater fishes ofthe family Centrarchidae” and, second, as “any of various marine fishes of thefamily Serranidae.
by Walter R. T. Witschey
turtle1 Cheloniidae fer-de-lance snake Bothrops asper rattlesnake Crotalus simus Fish sharka Carcharhinidae stingraya Dasyatidae sea catfisha Ariidae groupera Serranidae Common Name Scientific Name (Family or Genus species) jacka ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Serranidae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Serranidae
If you need images about Serranidae for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Scrabble value of S1E1R1R1A1N1I1D2A1E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SERRANIDAE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Serranidae!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Serranidae to find many related words and phrases!