On this page:
- Definition of the noun sib
- Phrases with Sib
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sib
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sib
- Photos about Sib
- Video language resources about Sib
- Quotes about Sib
- Scrabble value of S1I1B3
- Anagrams of SIB
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sib
What does sib mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: sibs
- a person's brother or sister
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of sib: sibling
- more generic words: relation / relative = a person related by blood or marriage
- more specific terms:
- half blood = one of siblings who have only one parent in common
- quadruplet / quad = one of four children born at the same time from the same pregnancy
- quintuplet / quint / quin = one of five children born at the same time from the same pregnancy
- triplet = one of three offspring born at the same time from the same pregnancy
- twin = either of two offspring born at the same time from the same pregnancy
- member of: family / family unit = primary social group
- one related by blood or origin; especially on sharing an ancestor with another
Alternative definition of the noun sib
- A kinsman, blood relation.
- A sibling, brother or sister (irrespective of gender)
- [biology] Any group of animals or plants sharing a corresponding genetic relation
- A group of individuals unilaterally descended from a single (real or postulated) common ancestor
Who is Sib?
Sib a.k.a. Sib Hashian: John Thomas "Sib" Hashian is a drummer best known as a member of the rock band Boston.
- read more about Sib Hashian
"Sib" a.k.a. "The Apple" is the 1998 film directorial debut by Samira Makhmalbaf, daughter of the acclaimed Iranian director, Mohsen Makhmalbaf. The film is based on a true story and features the real people that actually lived it. The film was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival.
- read more about The Apple
- Sib is a technical term in the discipline of anthropology which originally denoted a kinship group among Anglo-Saxon and other Germanic peoples. In an extended sense, it then became the standard term for a variety of other kinds of lineal or cognatic kinship groups. The word may also denote a member of such a group.
- Sib a.k.a. Kenyah, Sebob Language: Sebob is a Kayan language of Sarawak.
- also known as Sabup, Sebop, Sambup, Sebob, Sibop, Sebop language
Phrases with Sib
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sib
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Irving Goldman
The Cubeo sib is a unilineal descent group whose members regard themselves as being descended from common ancestors but cannot...
The sib is the center of the social structure, the focus and regulator of all main social, religious, and economic activities.
by Qingling Zhang, Chao Liu, Xue Zhang
The SIB is a new type of bifurcation and does not occur in an ordinary differential equation system.
by T. Steuart Watson, Frank M. Gresham
SIB is an operant behavior maintained by social positive reinforcement (e.g., disapproval, sympathy); (2) SIB ...
The Fish People (1983)
Linguistic Exogamy and Tukanoan Identity in Northwest Amazonia by Jean Elizabeth Jackson
Although the sib is a very important social unit for Tukanoans, ...
by Ian H. Witten, Eibe Frank, Mark A. Hall
sIB is an algorithm designed for document clustering that uses an informationtheoretic distance metric (Slonim et al., 2002). The number of clusters to find and the maximum number of iterations to perform can be specified by the user.
Pastoral Nomadism in Transition by Thomas J. Barfield
The patronymic sib is a weak corporate ...
Self-Injurious Behaviors (2008)
Assessment and Treatment by Daphne Simeon, Eric Hollander
Stereotypic SIB is seen mostly by clinicians working with the developmentally disabled, and major SIB is an unusual complication of psychosis that a clinician might only rarely encounter but is unlikely to forget. Compulsive and impulsive SIB ...
by C. Thomas Gualtieri
But SIB is a nonspecific symptom that does not differ in its presentation among autistic people from other mentally handicapped people who are not autistic. It may be constant (compulsive SIB) or intermittent (paroxysmal SIB) or occasional ...
by William H. Byrnes, Robert J. Munro
The SIB is the technical agency within BCP that supervises all banks and financial institutions, but it functions independently from the BCP in order to ensure that such organizations comply with AML and ATF regulations. 4) Law Applicable to ...
Sib, Sibbe,sib, adj. (Spens.)related byblood, akin.
SIB ANDREW CLARK, Physician, by Dr. Norman Moore. Sir Herbert Stephen. Bart. WILKIE COLLINS, by Mr. Thomas Seocombe Brsnor CBEIGHTON, by Dr. G. W. Prothero. CHARLES LUTWIDGE Doneson (Lewis Carroll), by Mr. E. V. Lucas.
by Anthony Lawson Mayhew, Walter William Skeat
Sibbe, sb, and adj. peace, relationship, affinis, related, SD, S, P; sybbe, Prompt.; sib, S.; syb, ...
by Thomas Sheridan
To SUBDIVIDE, sib'-dy-vi"de. v.a. To divide a part into yet more parts. SUBDIVISION, sub-dy-vizh"-lin. s. The act of subdividing; the parts dislinguished by a second division. SUBDOLOUS, sib'-dò-lús. a. Cunning, subtle, sly. To SUBDUCE, stib.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sib
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sib
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Sib
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Sib!
Quotes about Sib
A' stuarts are no sib to the king.
more quotes about sib...
Scrabble value of S1I1B3
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SIB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Sib!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sib to see it in context!