The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun signifier:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun signifier
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Signifier
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Signifier
- Photos about Signifier
- Video language resources about Signifier
- Quotes about Signifier
- Scrabble value of S1I1G2N1I1F4I1E1R1
- Anagrams of SIGNIFIER
- Share this page
Definition of the noun signifier
What does signifier mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: signifiers
- the phonological or orthographic sound or appearance of a word that can be used to describe or identify something
- domain: linguistics
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of signifier: descriptor / form / word form
- more generic word: word = a unit of language that native speakers can identify
- more specific terms:
- plural form / plural = the form of a word that is used to denote more than one
- singular form / singular = the form of a word that is used to denote a singleton
- ghost word = a word form that has entered the language through the perpetuation of an error
- root word / radical / theme / base / root / stem = the form of a word after all affixes are removed
- etymon / root = a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in several languages can be derived by linguistic processes
- main entry word / citation form / entry word = the form of a word that heads a lexical entry and is alphabetized in a dictionary
- abbreviation = a shortened form of a word or phrase
- initialism / acronym = a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name and pronounced as one word
Alternative definition of the noun signifier
- [linguistics] The sound of spoken word or string of letters on a page that a person recognizes as a sign.
Signifier is a record label.
- official website: www.signifieronline.com
Signifier is a musical group.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Signifier
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Igor Mel'cuk
Major types of morphological processes To sum up, the six major types of morphological processes are as follows: Processes using signs whose signifier is an entity Processes using signs whose signifier is a segmental entity Processes using ...
Historical-Theoretical Speculations by Allen, Edward Buscombe, Douglas Gomery, B. Lawton
The signifier is the lighting system as established by the cinematographer illuminating the object, including not only light but also reflectors, screens, gobos, etc. which may alter or modify the direction or intensity of the light, the lighting ratios, ...
A Critical Reader by Simon Critchley, Oliver Marchart
Empty signifier is the name that has no referent in the situation.
The empty signifier is a term which creates its referent.
The production of an empty signifier is an absolutely creative moment, a moment with no links to what is already ...
Rethinking Photography (2015)
Histories, Theories and Education by Peter Smith, Carolyn Lefley
The signifier is an object or a shape on a surface. It is a sound- image, the word (spoken or written), or the picture that...
An example of a signifier is the word 'ketchup';. Ferdinand de Saussure, the Swiss linguist and pioneer of ...
by Ian Parker, David Pavón-Cuéllar
The signifier is an element that characterizes itself as being oppositional, differential and relative (a definition given by Saussure for...
Reading Scandalous Texts by Jeremiah L. Alberg
“The signifier is the victim,” writes Girard. “The signified constitutes all actual and potential meaning the...
Thus the transcendental signifier is a fundamental misrecognition of the truth. Its representation in language shares in this duplicity.
Blows Like a Horn (2009)
Beat Writing, Jazz, Style, and Markets in the Transformation of U.S. Culture by Preston Whaley
A healthy signifier is a moving target that does not stop moving no matter how many times you shoot it. In other words, its terms are inclusive, mutable, and open. It transfigures foreign objects (even deadly bullets) into constituents, resources, ...
by Chris Baldick
According to the influential theory of the Swiss linguist Ferdinand de Saussure, every sign has two inseparable aspects: the *signifier, which is the materially perceptible component such as a sound or written mark, and the *signified, which is ...
by Daniel Chandler, Rod Munday
imaginary signifier 202 no clear boundaries between itself and the external world . Lacan argues that in the mirror phase, or stage, (at the age of six- to eighteen- months, before the acquisition of speech), seeing one's mirror image induces a ...
by Adrian Parr
As such, the signifier comes to adopt instead a kind of physical or distinct independence and objecthood, whereby the relationship between signifier and signified is further obliterated. Deleuze and Guattari contend that all articulations are ...
by Joseph Childers
SIGNIFIER/SIGNIFIED The theory of the sign circulated by the American founder of SEMIOTICS, C. S. Peirce, has enjoyed a smaller circulation than that of Saus- sure's, but its distinction between three types of sign — the iconic, index- ical ...
A Dictionary of Archaeology (2002)
by Ian Shaw
who identified the sign as the most fundamental unit of communication, gave the term a more precise meaning: a sign is the relationship between the signifier, the signified ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Signifier
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Signifier
Click on an item to view that photo:
Statue of Signifier
at Yebisu Garden Place, Shibuya, Tokyo
Photo credit: Yoshikazu TAKADA
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Signifier
Click on an item to play that video:
- Signifier Meaning
Video shows what signifier means. The sound of spoken word or string of letters on a page that a person recognizes as a sign.. Signifier Meaning. How to ...
- Definition: Signifier - Intro to the Design of Everyday Things
This video is part of an online course, Intro to the Design of Everyday Things.
See also the pronunciation examples of Signifier!
Quotes about Signifier
When the creation was not there
The darkness stood before its own eyes
A signified without any signifier
And the void burst in loud cries
Unlocking the untold treasure
That silence held in her indeterminate purse (Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadhyaya)
more quotes about signifier...
Scrabble value of S1I1G2N1I1F4I1E1R1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SIGNIFIER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Signifier!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Signifier to see it in context!