Sin appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Diaper sin is repaid.
- Dash sin if I finish sad.
- No benison, no sin, Ebon.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun sin:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb sin:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun sin
- Definition of the verb sin
- Other definitions of sin
- Phrases with Sin
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sin
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sin
- Photos about Sin
- Videos about Sin
- Quotes about Sin
- Scrabble value of S1I1N1
- Anagrams of SIN
- Share this page
Fun fact! The word "startling" is the only 9 letter word in the English language where you can remove one letter at a time and still create a word: starting, staring, string, sting, sing, sin, I.
Sin is sometimes a misspelling of thin.
The word sin is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sin
What does sin mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- sin: sins
- Sin: -
- estrangement from god
- an act that is regarded by theologians as a transgression of God's will
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of sin: sinning
- more generic words: evildoing / transgression = the act of transgressing
- more specific terms:
- ratio of the length of the side opposite the given angle to the length of the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle
- (Akkadian) god of the Moon; counterpart of Sumerian Nanna
- the 21st letter of the Hebrew alphabet
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: alphabetic character / letter / letter of the alphabet = the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech
- part of: Hebraic alphabet / Hebrew alphabet / Hebrew script = a Semitic alphabet used since the 5th century BC for writing the Hebrew language
Alternative definition of the noun sin
- [theology] A violation of a moral or religious law; an error.
- A misdeed.
- A letter of the Hebrew alphabet; [Hebr, שׂ]
- A letter of the Arabic alphabet; [Arab, س]
Definition of the verb sin
What does sin mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: sinned, sinning
- commit a sin; violate a law of God or a moral law
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of sin: transgress / trespass
- more generic terms: breach / break / go against / infract / offend / transgress / violate = act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
- more specific word: fall = yield to temptation or sin
- commit a faux pas or a fault or make a serious mistake
Other definitions of sin
What does sin also mean?
- Sinaloa, a state of Mexico.
- [Canada] Social insurance number, an identification number issued by the government of Canada.
- Sin a.k.a. Singapore, officially the Republic of Singapore, is a sovereign city-state and island country in Southeast Asia. It lies off the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula and is 137 kilometres north of the equator. The country's territory consists of the lozenge-shaped main island, commonly referred to as Singapore Island in English and Pulau Ujong in Malay, and more than 60 significantly smaller islets. Singapore is separated from Peninsular Malaysia by the Straits of Johor to the north, and from Indonesia's Riau Islands by the Singapore Strait to the south. The country is highly urbanised, and little of the original vegetation remains. The country's territory has consistently expanded through land reclamation.
- Sin a.k.a. Changi Airport Group: Singapore Changi Airport, Changi International Airport, or simply Changi Airport, is the main airport in Singapore. A major aviation hub in Southeast Asia, it is about 17.2 km northeast from the commercial centre in Changi, on a 13 square kilometres site.
- Sin a.k.a. Şin is a village and municipality in the Shaki Rayon of Azerbaijan. It has a population of 1,432.
- part of Shaki District
- Sin a.k.a. Brian Surewood is a former pornographic actor. He began appearing in adult films in around 1996 at the age of about 33, and has since appeared in over 1200 movies.
- read more about Brian Surewood
- Sin a.k.a. Yongyoot Thongkongtoon, born February 18, 1967, is a Thai film director, producer and screenwriter. He made his debut in 2000 with the sports comedy The Iron Ladies.
- read more about Yongyoot Thongkongtoon
- Sin is a musical artist.
- Sin is a member of the musical group, Ceremony of Darkness.
- also known as Eric P. Hall
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group Ceremony of Darkness (Vocals) since
- Sin is a musical artist and was a member of the group, Garlic Boys.
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group Garlic Boys (Guitar) until
- sin est un groupe rock industriel français fondé en 1993 et originaire de Melun en banlieue parisienne.
- albums: "Noisy Pipes Lovely Noises", "Errare Digital Est", "Reconstructed Singles", "Painful reconstruction"
- official website: www.digital-sin.net
- Sin is a musical group.
There are other groups with in their name, like Sin 34, 8th Sin, Dr. Sin, Mad Sin, Sin ley, Sin Dios, Grime Sin, Sin Alley, Sin Miedo, Sin Rumbo, Desert Sin, Mortal sin, Sacred sin, Sea of Sin, Secret Sin, Sin of Lot, sin sin 77, Sister Sin, Tirant Sin and Bitches Sin.
- Sin is a supervillain appearing in books published by Marvel Comics as the daughter of the Red Skull. Sin first appeared in Captain America #290, and was created by J.M. DeMatteis and Paul Neary.
- Sin is a fictional comic book character appearing in books published by DC Comics. She first appeared in Birds of Prey #92, and was created by Gail Simone.
- Sin is a fictional character from the 2005 film Typhoon.
- "Sin" is the third single by American artist Nine Inch Nails from the album Pretty Hate Machine. Released in October 1990, the song peaked at #35 in the UK Singles Chart.
- also known as Sin (dub)
- music by Trent Reznor
- "Sin" is the fifth studio recording from Mother Superior and the first of two to be produced by MC5 legend Wayne Kramer.
- genre: Rock music
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Sin" is a 1990 single album by Nine Inch Nails.
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Sin" is a composition.
- "Sin" is a composition.
- "Sin" is a musical album of Ô Paradis & Totenlieder.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Sin" is a musical single of Eye Emma Jedi.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Sin" is a musical album of ZANG HAOZI.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Sin" is a musical EP of She Shell.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Sin" is a musical EP of Sinners.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Sin" is a musical album of Grabak.
- "Sin" is a musical single of Nonsons.
- "Sin": Sin: A Novel, also known as Sins, is a 1973 politico-historical novel written by Filipino National Artist F. Sionil José. This particular work of literature features the History of the Philippines, for the most part spanning the twentieth century, through the eyes of the “amoral” Don Carlos Corbello, a wealthy patriarch also known by the moniker “C.C.”.
- also known as "Sins: a novel", "Sins", Sins
- language: English Literature
- author: F. Sionil José
- genres: Historical novel, Fiction
- "Sin" is a 2007 novel in stories by the Russian writer Zakhar Prilepin.
- language: Russian Language
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Sin" is a book written by Andrej Nikolaidis.
- "Sin" is a 2003 crime, drama, thriller film written by Tim Willocks and directed by Michael Stevens.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: David Leyrer, Michael Stevens, Tim Willocks
- production design by Ioannis Papadopoulos
- art direction by Mathias Fain
- written by Tim Willocks
- Johnny Savas as Hugo
- Ving Rhames as Eddie Burns
- Gary Oldman as Charlie Strom
- Bill Sage as Cal Brody
- Chris Spencer as Vincent Peavey
- Kerry Washington as Kassie
- James Lew as Leo Thamaree
- Alicia Coppola as Bella
- Brian Cox as Captain Oakes
- Gregg Henry as Conrad
- Arie Verveen as Marty
- Daniel Dae Kim as Lakorn
- Woon Young Park as Chaviat
- Jeremiah Birkett as Wayne
- Ray Porter as Jeff
- casting by Cathy Reinking
- cinematography by Zoran Popovic
- edited by Suzanne Fenn
- music by Michael Giacchino
- costume design by Elena Baranova
- set decoration by Andi Brittan
- genres: Thriller, Crime Fiction, Drama
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Sin" a.k.a. "The Beloved" is a 1970 film written and directed by George P. Cosmatos and marks his directorial debut. It was filmed on location in Cyprus.
- read more about The Beloved
- "Sin" was a 1915 American silent drama film written and directed by Herbert Brenon and starring Theda Bara. It was produced by Fox Film Corporation and shot at the Fox Studio in Fort Lee, New Jersey. The film is now considered to be lost.
- "Sin" a.k.a. "Bloody Bloody Bible Camp" is a 2012 American horror-comedy/splatter film. The film was directed by Vito Trabucco and produced by Reggie Bannister, who stars as Father Richard Cummings. The film also features Tim Sullivan as a transvestite nun and porn legend Ron Jeremy as Jesus.
- read more about Bloody Bloody Bible Camp
- "Sin" is a film.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genre: Gay pornography
- released on (13 years ago)
"SiN" is a first-person shooter video game based on a modified version of the Quake II engine developed by Ritual Entertainment and published by Activision in late 1998. The game was later released over Steam platform on April 5, 2006, either as a standalone product, or bundled together with its sequel, SiN Episodes. It was also released, along with its expansion pack SiN: Wages of Sin on GOG.com on January 30, 2014, DRM-free and fixed for modern hardware.
- also known as シン
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- designer: Richard Gray
- developer: Ritual Entertainment
- genres: First-person Shooter, Platform game, Third-person Shooter, Action game, Shooter game
- publishers: Activision, Activision Blizzard
- released on (16 years ago)
- Sin: In Abrahamic contexts, sin is the act of violating God's will. Sin can also be viewed as anything that violates the ideal relationship between an individual and God; or as any diversion from the ideal order for human living. To sin has been defined as "to miss the mark".
- SIN is an original English-language manga authored by Drake Tsui, published in 2012 by MangaMagazine.net.
- sin is a gene.
- Sin a.k.a. rnhA is a gene.
Phrases with Sin
Phrases starting with the word Sin:
Phrases ending with the word Sin:
- like sin
- actual sin
- deadly sin
- mortal sin
- venial sin
- Live in Sin
- Cardinal Sin
- original sin
- Guilty As Sin
- remission of sin
Other phrase containing the word Sin:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sin
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Southern Review (1870)
by Albert Taylor Bledsoe, Sophia M'Ilvaine Bledsoe Herrick
As ' sin is the transgression of the law,' so righteousness, or virtue, is obedience to the law.
by Donald R. Downing
Sin means missing the mark for righteousness, holiness, and eternal life. It is an inward...
Sin is a governing principle or power that is inwardly organized and stands against God. Synonyms...
Sin is the violation of God's law, an offense, misconduct, and misbehavior that causes one to wander from righteousness. Whatever ...
by Meister Eckehart
Mortal sin is an unrest of the heart, since it removes the soul from its proper place of repose, which is in God, as Augustine says: “You have made us for Yourself; therefore...
by Thomas Brooks
All other evils are but outward, they only reach the name, the body, the estate, the life, but sin is an inward evil, a spiritual evil,
Social and civil duties (1842)
by Nathanael Emmons
But sin is a reproach to any people. — PRover Bs xiv. 34. THE whole verse is this : “Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” As the mode of expression here requires a more full and pointed antithesis, so the spirit ...
by St. Thomas Aquinas
For seemingly a sin is the more grievous according as it proceeds from a greater sensuous pleasure. Now the greatest sensuous pleasure is in fornication, for a gloss on 1 Cor. 7:9 says that the "flame of sensuous pleasure is most fierce in lust .
For the Year ...
Sin is a breach of God's law ; its penalty, eternal death ; and man the sinner must pay the penalty. An earthly judge may let the...
Sin is a moral disease which places every man born into the world at a distance from God. It shuts him out for ever ...
by Mark Glazer
Dicen que no hay sabado sin sol ni viejito sin amor. Translation or Interpretation: They say there is no Saturday without sun , nor old man without love . Context : None given. (One occurrence. Informant: female). Sources and Annotations : De ...
The Anti-Dictionary (2002)
A Selected List of Words Being Forced from the Modern Lexicon by Michael Cromwell
Sin. 0 Conventional definitions: an act, a thought, or behavior that goes against the law or teachings of a particular religion, especially when the person who commits it is aware of this; something that offends a moral or ethical principle; ...
Pocket Dictionary of Ethics (2010)
Over 300 Terms & Ideas Clearly & Concisely Defined by Stanley J. Grenz, Jay T. Smith
original sin 84 original sin. As a theological term, the universal participation of human beings in the fall of Adam. Two questions debated by theologians have important ethical implications: Does original sin mean that humans inherit a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sin
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sin
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: voidstern
Photo credit: dreamsjung
Changi Airport, T3, Singapore.
Photo credit: Raymond June
Changi Airport, Singapore.
Photo credit: Raymond June
Changi Airport, T2, Singapore.
Photo credit: Raymond June
Photography by SIN
Editing by Billy
Photo credit: SIN JONES
- Tortitas sin harina
Photo credit: Sol Cardona
View more pictures about The Sin.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Sin
Click on an item to play that video:
- Christ Sin Man - best explanation
Christ Sin Man - Explanation of Christ can overcome sin and He can save us from sin.
- # 1 Jack Sequeira- The Biblical Definition of Sin
Jack Sequeira Travels world wide presenting the Gospel Message. You will find his topics hot!
- MEANING OF SIN BY PASTOR CHRIS OYAKHILOME PHD
- Abraham Hicks - Define The Meaning Of Sin
Abraham Hicks - Define The Meaning Of Sin The material in this video and other Abraham Hicks 2014 materials are copyrighted by Esther Hicks and Jerry Hicks ...
- Definition af cos sin og tan
- Alex Sin - Boomstick ( Original Mix ) Slang EP
Alex Sin soundcloud...
- Masonic Truth: Meaning of "BORN IN SIN"
Graphic Scientific explanation of Masonic truth (lucifer). Lamb (da) is length between sine waves. You are Lambs. Lambs are born from sine waves. You are ...
- ALEX SIN - SLANG EP (PREVIEW) ROTTUN
Forthcoming Rottun Recordings JULY 29TH ON BEATPORT 1. BOOMSTICK 2. WORD! FACEBOOK...
- Ex: Find the Laplace Transform of f(t)=sin(6t) Using Definition
This video explains how to determine the Laplace transform of a sine function using the definition.
- Calculus, derivative of sin(x) by using the definition of derivative
Calculus, derivative of sin(x) by using the definition of derivative.
- The Laplace Transform of sin(at) using definition
The Laplace Transform of sin (at) using definition.
- Sin Vocabulary Lesson by Sis. Pat at MSU
Sis. Pat, age 85 teaches the students Biblical vocabulary words...explaining the sins that are damning their souls! Missouri State University.
- Graphing y=sin(x) with a simple, straight-forward explanation
Graphing y=sin(x) with a straight-forward explanation of its shape.
- God's definition of sin, righteousness and judgment
In John chapter 16, Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. Then Jesus gives us the definition of these ...
- Sin Sisamouth - Klen Kloun Noun Srey
Cambodia is a beautiful country filled with a rich history and amazing culture. Sin Sisamouth is one of the proud treasures that Cambodia has given birth to.
- Sin Cup - Foreign Language (Flight Facilities Cover)
Lead Vocal - Berta Keybords - Ionut Guitar - Epa Bass - Razvan Drums - Bobzzz F.O.H. Engineer - Raul&Acl Acoustic.
- Sin and atonement (Twi language)
- Websters Dictionary Says - Debt Equals Sin - Basics For Success
- Sday Chom Noun Mere Tov Sdey By Sin Sisamut
Sday Chom Noun Mere Tov Sdey By Sin Sisamut.
- ESL: Sin, Sing & Sink, Pronunciation & Dictation
Sin/sing/sink A) Sin, kin, thin, win, Lynn, pin Sing, king, thing, wing, ling, ping Sink, kink, think, wink, link, pink B) Sin/sing/sink, kin/king/kink, thin/thing/think, ...
- Sin Sisamouth : Sday Jum Noun Jun Mae Tov Sdei
See also the pronunciation examples of Sin!
Quotes about Sin
Scrabble value of S1I1N1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Sin!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sin to see it in context!