On this page:
Sindh is one of the four provinces of Pakistan and historically home to the Sindhi people. It is also locally known as the "Mehran". The name "Sindh" is derived from the Sanskrit "Sindhu", a reference to the Indus River that passes almost through the middle of the entire province. This river was known to the ancient Iranians in Avestan as Hindu, in Sanskrit as Sindhu, to Assyrians as Sinda, to the Persians as Ab-e-sind, to the Greeks as Indos, to the Romans as Indus, to the Pashtuns as Abasind, to the Arabs as Al-Sind, to the Chinese as Sintow, and to the Javanese as Santri.
- also known as Sind Province, Sind, Sindhu
- country: Pakistan
- touristic attractions:
- official website: www.sindh.gov.pk
"Sindh" is a musical album of E Muzeki.
- released in (10 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sindh
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Daughter's Heart (2011)
Tribute to My Father by Bushra Zulfiqar
It was depressing to see the posters of People's Party stalwarts hanging all over, as rural Sindh is a strong hold of the PPP but it seems the promises made during electoral campaigning are never fulfilled. The masses have been oppressed ...
Introductory essay to the Flora Indica: including preliminary observations on the study of Indian botany; a summary of the labours of Indian botanists; a sketch of the meteorology of India; outlines of the physical geography and botany of the provinces of India (1855)
With 2 Maps. By J. D. Hooker and Thomas Thomson. Reprinted from the "Flora Indica" by Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker, Thomas Thomson
Sindh is an alluvial plain watered by the various branches of the Indus. For the most part it is perfectly level, but a few low hills (spurs from the Beluch mountains) here and there, as at Rori, Hyderabad, and Karachi, advance close to the Indus.
Annual Report (1889)
by Methodist Episcopal Church. Board of Foreign Missions
Largely Mohammedan itself, and abutting on the Mohammedan coun~ tries of Beluchistan and Afghanistan, Sindh is an important mission field. Very little has been done for its three millions of people. All told, only four Protestant missionaries ...
Sindh is a champaign country. Bhukhur however is situated on a low hill or rock insulated by the Indus, but which must be considered as a prolongation of a low range which runs from the left bank of the river in a south direction diagonally into ...
Sindh is a narrow champaign country. Its greatest width is in the middle division, and near the sea where the Indus forms a delta. The length may be 400 English miles and the average breadth 50. To the south is the Indian ocean, to the east is ...
by Alice Albinia
With its piecemeal structures of authority and idiosyncratic attitude to canonical religions, Sindh is a fecund place, and there were periods during the past millennium when the closeness of Hinduism and Islam even resulted in the two faiths'; ...
Pants for an Octopus by Jan Nederveen Pieterse
Sindh is a fact, Pakistan is a fiction. . . . Sindhi language is 2000 years old, Urdu is only 250 years old."44 As mentioned earlier, Sindh is the origin of the geographical term "Hindu" coined by Muslims. Research into the cultural heritage of ...
by Ephraim Kahana, Muhammad Suwaed
In the early 1990s, the principal challenge in the form of civil unrest came from Sindh, Pakistan's second most populous province, where the indigenous population was under increasing pressure from non-Sindhis who had migrated there.
Ethnic and National Groups around the World by James B. Minahan
36–55 million Homeland Sindh occupies the flat plains of the lower Indus River basin, forming Sindh Province of Pakistan.
Proposed State Republic of Sindhudesh (Sindhi Country) Sindh formed part of the ancient Indus Valley civilization ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sindh
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sindh
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Sonamarg - Sindh river
Photo credit: Ankur P
- Collecting clean water in rural Sindh
A young girl queues to collect clean drinking water in a remote village in Pakistan's Sindh province.
UKaid from the British government is helping millions of people affected by last year's flooding to begin to rebuild their lives. Funding from the Department for International Development is providing clean drinking water, shelter, basic healthcare and support for livelihoods.
To find out more about how the UK is helping in Pakistan, please...
Photo credit: DFID - UK Department for International Development
Videos about Sindh
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sindh Meaning
Video shows what Sindh means. One of the southern provinces of Pakistan, whose capital is Karachi. It is also the area in which the Indus Valley Civilization ...
- MQM asks PM Nawaz to seek explanation from Sindh govt over use of funds worth Rs500bn
- HARRY POTTOR 2 FUNNY IN SRAYEKI LANGUAGE SINDH VCD.
- KTN.. UPTAAR... SINDHI CULTURE & LANGUAGE 3 .. (Mumtaz A Vighio ) KARACHI SINDH
- KTN.. UPTAAR... SINDHI CULTURE & LANGUAGE 1 .. (Ma.vighio ) KARACHI SINDH
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-012
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-001
Speech of Syed Fida Hussain Shah.......... Video Upload: Mumtaz Ali Samoo Matiari 0302-3062625.
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-016
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-007
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-020
- CRF Water Plant Number 4 in Thar, Sindh Kharoro Chaaran Description of Plant
- KTN.. UPTAAR... SINDHI CULTURE & LANGUAGE 2 .. (Mumtaz A Vighio ) KARACHI SINDH
- Thar, Sindh Help of drought affected people Shah sb description on Langer & Well
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-018
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-022
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-008
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-017
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-011
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-015
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-028
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-023
- 2nd Anniversary of Sindh Ever Green English Language Center Matiari-014
- CRF - Thar, Sindh Help of drought affected people Shah sb description on Well
See also the pronunciation examples of Sindh!
Quotes about Sindh
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Sindh"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of S1I1N1D2H4
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SINDH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sindh!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sindh to see it in context!