The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun skyline:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun skyline
- Definition of the verb skyline
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Skyline
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Skyline
- Photos about Skyline
- Videos about Skyline
- Sign language
- Quotes about Skyline
- Scrabble value of S1K5Y4L1I1N1E1
- Anagrams of SKYLINE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun skyline
What does skyline mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: skylines
- the outline of objects seen against the sky
- the line at which the sky and Earth appear to meet
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of skyline: apparent horizon / horizon / sensible horizon / visible horizon
- more generic word: line = a spatial location defined by a real or imaginary unidimensional extent
- part of: linear perspective / perspective = the appearance of things relative to one another as determined by their distance from the viewer
Alternative definition of the noun skyline
- The line at which the earth and sky meet, horizon.
- synonym: horizon
- The horizontal silhouette of a city or building against the sky.
Definition of the verb skyline
What does skyline mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: skylined | skylining | skylines
- To outline something against the sky.
- "Skyline" is a 2010 alien invasion science fiction thriller film produced and directed by Brothers Strause, directors of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. The film was released on November 12, 2010. It stars Eric Balfour, Scottie Thompson, Brittany Daniel, Crystal Reed, David Zayas and Donald Faison. Skyline was a box office success, grossing nearly $79 million worldwide against its $10–20 million budget, despite extremely negative reviews. The brothers stated before the film's release that they were already working on a sequel.
- also known as Skyline: La invasión, Yukaridaki tehlike, Seukairain, Скайлайн, Skyline - Os Alvos Somos Nós, Skyline - A Invasão
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: Colin Strause & Greg Strause
- producers: Kristian James Andresen, Liam O'Donnell, Greg Strause & Colin Strause
- executive producers: Brett Ratner, Tucker Tooley, Brian Kavanaugh Jones & Ryan Kavanaugh
- production design by Drew Dalton
- written by Joshua Cordes & Liam O'Donnell
- Eric Balfour as Jarrod
- Scottie Thompson as Elaine
- Brittany Daniel as Candice
- Crystal Reed as Denise
- Neil Hopkins as Ray
- David Zayas as Oliver
- Donald Faison as Terry
- Robin Gammell as Walt
- Tanya Newbould as Jen
- J. Paul Boehmer as Colin
- Phet Mahathongdy as Airplane Mom
- Byron McIntyre as Limo Driver
- Jackie Marin as Girl in Pool
- Tony Black as Guy at Party
- Eliza Till as Girl at Party
- Phet Mahathongdy as Bartender
- James Huang as Soldier #1
- Erik Rondell as Soldier #2
- Johnny DeBeer as Rocket Soldier
- Lauren Marin as Abducted Girl
- Matt Frels as Abducted Guy
- Pam Levin as Pregnant Abductee
- Aneliese Roettger as Model
- Andreea Florescu as Socialite
- Leon 'Lee' Fuller as Passenger
- Marcus Nel-Jamal Hamm as Terry's friend
- Gladys Khan as Indian Diplomat Air Passenger #1
- Mobin Khan as Indian Diplomat Air Passenger #2
- Elena Kolpachikova as Bohemian
- Waymond Lee as Airport Traveler
- Justin Reed as Airport Security Guard
- Vanessa Ross as Stewardess
- Evan Shafran as Airplane Passenger
- Abu Baker Siddiq as Airport Limo Driver
- casting by Liz Dean
- cinematography by Michael Watson
- edited by Nicholas Wayman-Harris
- music by Matthew Margeson
- costume design by Bobbie Mannix
- location: Los Angeles
- genres: Action Film, Science Fiction, Thriller, Psychological thriller, Mystery
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a 2013 drama short film written by Ariane Louis-Seize Plouffe and directed by Émilie Baillargeon.
- also known as A L'horizon
- country: Canada
- language: French
- director: Émilie Baillargeon
- producer: Frédérique Élisabeth St-Pierre
- art direction by Marie-Eve Bolduc
- written by Ariane Louis-Seize Plouffe
- casting by Pierre Pageau
- cinematography by Framçois Messier-Rheault
- edited by Hélène Girard
- costume design by Nicole Magny
- genre: Drama
- released in
- "Skyline" is the seventh studio album by Yann Tiersen. The album was published by Everything's Calm and released through Mute Records on 17 October 2011 in Europe, and six months later, on 17 April 2012, via ANTI- in North America.
- "Skyline" is a musical album of Matthew Margeson, soundtrack.
- also known as Skyline Soundtrack
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a solo album by Steve Howe. The music is usually very calm and simple, which is not conventional for Howe. As he said in an interview, "You go through the music; there's something, there's some little thread that carries through them, and that's certainly true with this album, but the only thing is because of the mood of the music and sort of relaxness of the music, it's been harder for me to actually create the spiral that I'm trying to create.
- genre: Instrumental
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a composition.
- also known as CITY COBRA-THEME_V.2_99
- music by Sylvester Levay
- "Skyline" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Skyline" is a composition.
- "Skyline" is a musical single of Sophie Sugar.
- released on
- "Skyline" is a musical EP of Erick Hervé & Omar el Hachemi.
- released in
- "Skyline" is a musical single of Resistance D.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a musical single of David Lindgren.
- released on
- "Skyline" is a musical album of Tom Green Septet.
- released on
- "Skyline" is a musical album of Bobby Hutcherson.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a musical album of Concessionaires.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a musical album of Jake Shimabukuro.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a musical EP of Skymaster.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Skyline" is a musical EP of André Visior.
- released in (9 years ago)
- Skyline is a musical group.
- albums: "Riders in the Store", "Urbanica", "Virginplatonicpanic", "Escapism"
- official website: www.skylineweb.cz
- Skyline was a newgrass group active in the 1970s and '80s headed by Tony Trischka. The band consisted of Tony, Danny Weiss on guitar and vocals, Dede Wyland on guitar and vocals, Larry Cohen on bass, and Barry Mitterhoff on mandolin. In the last year of their career Dede Wyland left the band and was replaced by Rachel Kalem. They were a major proponent of the "newgrass" sound, known for jazz-infused riffs and extensive use of harmony in their singing. Their first album, Skyline Drive, was released in 1977. The band released several more albums over the next few years, culminating with their final release, Fire of Grace in 1989. In 1999, they released a retrospective album called Ticket Back.
- Skyline is a musical group.
- albums: "Noiseotica", "Bark"
- Skyline is a musical group.
- albums: "Louise for One Night", "Wacken Hymne"
There are other groups with in their name, like Stereo skyline, Oktober Skyline, Flatline Skyline, National Skyline, A Closing Skyline, Manhattan Skyline, The razor skyline, Design The Skyline and Show Me The Skyline.
- Skyline was an airline based in Lagos, Nigeria operating chartered and scheduled domestic passenger flights out of Port Harcourt Airport. It was established in March 1999 and started operations in June 1999. In 2003, the airline ceased to exist.
- Skyline is a record label.
Skyline was a notable Australian Thoroughbred racehorse who was the best three-year-old of his year. He was a bay or brown stallion foaled in 1955 by the champion sire Star Kingdom from Flight’s Daughter by Helios from Flight by Royal Step. He was the elder brother of another notable performer Sky High.
- born in (60 years ago)
- Skyline is a town in Jackson County, Alabama, United States. As of the 2000 census, the population of the town is 843.
- Skyline is a city in Blue Earth County, Minnesota, United States. The population was 289 at the 2010 census. However, the population was estimated to be 291 in 2011. It is completely surrounded by the city of Mankato and is part of the Mankato–North Mankato Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Skyline is an unincorporated community in Mineral County, West Virginia, located at the intersection of U.S. Route 50 and West Virginia Route 42 atop the Allegheny Front. Skyline is best known for its view of Saddle Mountain.
- Skyline is a neighborhood located in the north end of Tacoma, Washington, United States. The area is sometimes referred to as "Narrows View," because of its view of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. The area's name comes from the name of the landline telephone exchange that serves the area, which is located at North 27th and Madison Streets.
- also known as Skyline, Tacoma, Washington
- part of Washington
- Skyline a.k.a. Skyline, Ottawa: Skyline is the name of a neighbourhood in the Nepean sector of Ottawa, Canada. It is bounded on the south by Meadowlands Drive of Parkwood Hills, on the west by Clyde Avenue and Merivale Road, on the north by Baseline Road and on the east by the neighbourhood of Fisher Heights.
- read more about Skyline, Ottawa
- Skyline a.k.a. Skyline, Kentucky: Skyline is an unincorporated community located in Letcher County, Kentucky, United States. Its post office is closed.
- read more about Skyline, Kentucky
- Skyline: A skyline is the artificial horizon that a city's overall structure creates. Skylines serve as a kind of fingerprint of a city, as no two skylines are alike. For this reason news and sports programs, television shows, and movies often display the skyline of a city to set location. The Sky Line of New York City was a new term in 1896, when it was the title of a color lithograph by Charles Graham for the color supplement of the New-York Journal.
- also known as 天際線
- Skyline was a Swedish charter airline which operated from 1971 to 1978. It had a fleet of Vickers Viscount aircraft, operating between one and three at any given time and a total of five aircraft. Based in Malmö, it initially flew out of Malmö Bulltofta Airport. The airport closed in 1972 and Skyline moved to Malmö Sturup Airport.
- Skyline is an educational institution, school.
- Skyline: American Skyline was a construction set sold in the late 1950s and early 1960s by Elgo Plastics/Halsam Products Company from Chicago, Illinois. With an American Skyline set, its owner was able to piece together models of high-rise city buildings.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Skyline
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Taner Oc, Steve Tiesdell
INTRODUCTION The city skyline is a prime location for decoration. The skyline and its roofscape can be appreciated from many viewpoints. When viewed from afar the city appears in profile as a distant silhouette. The city profile is often most ...
Clearwater National Forest (N.F.), Pierce Ranger District, Fuzzy-Bighorn Timber Harvest Project (1993)
Environmental Impact Statement
The running skyline is a very efficient system that can move heavy loads, and moves logs by dragging or by fully suspending them. The higher efficiency of this system can be a drawback in situations with limited landing space, and is the ...
A Visual Exploration by Stephen M. Miller
Dominating Babylon's flat-roofed skyline is a seven-level ziggurat that rose about 300 feet high, an estimate based on the foundation's dimensions. The ziggurat walls have long since been carried off — one sturdy brick at a time — as locals ...
by Rick Strimbeck, Nancy Bazilchuk
Monroe Skyline The Monroe Skyline is a 32-mile trail from Lincoln Gap to the Winooski River. * \ - A Ref; DeLOrme Vermont `-- N' State Atlas & Gazetteer o - • Humingon El Camels × Hump an old barn silver-gray, the broken-off branches ...
The European Culture Area (2002)
A Systematic Geography by Terry G. Jordan-Bychkov, Bella Bychkova Jordan
Greek Nicosia's "skyline is an enormous wall of high- rises," while Turkish Lefkosa's consists of "low, red-tiled roofs, homes to craftsmen and shopkeepers." We deal in these places with Christian- Islamic confrontation and dichotomy. In recent ...
Through Amateur Eyes (2012)
Film and Photography in Nazi Germany by Frances Guerin
A train pulls into the central station in Warsaw, and the city's pre–World War II skyline is the object of the camera's fascination. A gleaming white rocket punctures the crisp blue sky. The skyline of Warsaw aside, these and other images could ...
Wine and the Vine (2005)
An Historical Geography of Viticulture and the Wine Trade by Tim Unwin
Dominating the skyline is the spire of the church, emphasising the important role played by religion, not only in the daily lives of the inhabitants of the village, but also in the development and maintenance of a viticultural tradition. However ...
Tahquitz and Suicide Rocks (1973)
by Chuck Wilts
The left skyline is the Northwest Buttress. The White Maiden's Walkaway (Route 19) ascends this buttress. Running diagonally up and to the right and nearly bisecting the face is the deep gully called the Trough (Route 32). Between this and ...
Orlando in Vintage Postcards (2001)
by Lynn M. Homan, Thomas Reilly
Most prominent in the center of the skyline is the 1892 brick courthouse. The road running along the shoreline is ...
by Gavin Ambrose, Paul Harris, Sally Stone
S Skyline The horizon formed by the profile of city buildings from a viewing point. A skyline can be a very distinguishable feature given that each city is different and the outlines of some buildings are universally recognised. Many cities ...
by Julian Evans, John A. Youngquist
Skyline notches can have a strong visual impact even when seen in the distant background. (a) Skylines should not be cut directly across in the direction of the principal viewpoint, as the coupe edges will remain clearly visible for many years.
by Michael Allaby, Chris Park
skyline logging (skyline yarding) A method of *logging in which timber is transported from where it is cut to a collecting point by ...
by Dennis R. Heldman
There are two major types of cable yarding systems in use today: highlead and skyline. Highlead Cable Systems The primary characteristic of the highlead system is that one "end" of the cable is elevated on a single "spar tree" or tower to ...
by Robert B. Costello
skyline 1. The outline of buildings, mountains, or other objects as seen against the sky: We saw the city's skyline as we drove over the bridge. 2. The line at which ...
A Comprehensive Reference Work by Thomas Edward Finegan
MICHIGAN BOULEVARD AND THE CHICAGO SKYLINE A panoramic view showing Michigan Boulevard, Grant Park, the Illinois Central suburban passenger ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
curious Ana bizarre, grotesque, *fantastic, antic: alien, foreign, extraneous, * extrinsic outlast *outlive, survive Ana endure, persist, abide, *continue: withstand, *resist outline n 1 Outline, contour, profile, skyline, silhouette mean the boundary ...
by V&S EDITORIAL BOARD
Skyline – (noun) an outline of land and buildings defined against the sky. It's a beautiful skyline. Slab – (noun) 1 a large, thick, flat piece of solid material, in particular stone, concrete, or heavy food. The slab fell down and broke. 2 a flat, heavy ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Skyline
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Skyline
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Pfauenauge *back to school...on and off*
The Chicago skyline as seen from Sears Tower
Photo credit: .Bala
Photo credit: twicepix
from Tokyo Tower. One great city :)
Photo credit: scjody
Taken from the ferry
Photo credit: ThisIsChristiaan
Sonya's view from work.
Photo credit: spablab
Photo credit: t_a_i_s
First clear sight of the skyline, from the eastbound Gardiner. Of course it looks like Vancouver.
Photo credit: Payton Chung
Photo credit: nathanmac87
Photo credit: 7263255
Photo credit: dameetch
Photo credit: Jonas B
Photo credit: Clint Tseng
Taken during the TPMG Harbourfront meet-up.
Photo credit: John Vetterli
Photo credit: Iain Farrell
Photo credit: guidolo
- Chicago skyline
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Edmonton Skyline
Photo credit: mastermaq
- New York Skyline
Photo credit: Michaela Loheit
- Singapore Skyline, Night
Photo credit: Michaela Loheit
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Skyline
Click on an item to play that video:
- Skyline Meaning
Video shows what skyline means. The line at which the earth and sky meet, horizon.. The horizontal silhouette of a city or building against the sky.. skyline ...
- Jasmin Skyline Channel explanation
- [Verb] Digital Reverb Pedal Overview Demo - HOTONE "SKYLINE" Series Stompbox
The Hotone VERB stompbox is a digital reverb pedal. From the subtle echoes of a small room to the grand ambiance of a large hall, Verb will throw back a ...
- Hotone Skyline Series VERB Digital Reverb Pedal
The Hotone Skyline Series VERB simulates the reverb that naturally occurs from a small room to a large hall. The reverb is natural, smooth and musical. With the ...
- Hotone Skyline Verb Reverb Effect Pedal Demo
Hotone Skyline Verb Reverb Effect Pedal Demo.
- SKYLINE. The new language from FERMAX 2012.
SKYLINE is the new language from FERMAX. Surprisingly simple. And in practice, universal. Is the only able to respond to all the market needs. Integrating ...
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - Friendship
- Hotone Skyline/Nano Legacy Quick Demo: Komp + Verb + British Invasion
Guitar: Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster Amplifier: Hotone British Invasion Cabinet: Egnater Tweaker 112 Pedal 1 (in front of the Amp): Hotone Komp Pedal 2 (in FX ...
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - New Romance
- SCOTTSCi SHORTFiLM..... ..SKYLiNE VERb
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - Red, Pink & White Gerberas
Find out the symbolism behind some of the most beautiful gerberas and what to do to keep the beautiful flowers alive longer! :) "Language of Flowers" Videos ...
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - Dahlias
They're some of the most popular flowers - Dahlias! What's the symbolism behind them? Find out. :) "Language of Flowers" Videos You're Perfect & Elegant: ...
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - Marital Happiness
- Language of Flowers - Skyline Flowers - You're Perfect & Elegant!
The perfect flower for those of you who are "perfect and elegant!"...
- ESL Street Cup - SKyLine vs ILuSionClocK Game #2
View more videos about Nissan Skyline.
See also the pronunciation examples of Skyline!
Skyline Pest Solutions - Pledge of Allegiance - Sign Language
The Pledge of Allegiance in Sign Language.
Quotes about Skyline
And then, build a bustling wonderful city of the 21st century, with a restoration of a spectacular skyline, which Manhattan, of course, needs. So, that is really the design as a whole. (Daniel Libeskind)
more quotes about skyline...
Scrabble value of S1K5Y4L1I1N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SKYLINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Skyline!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Skyline to see it in context!