The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun smack:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb smack:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun smack
- Definition of the adverb smack
- Definition of the verb smack
- Phrases with Smack
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Smack
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Smack
- Photos about Smack
- Video language resources about Smack
- Quotes about Smack
- Scrabble value of S1M3A1C3K5
- Anagrams of SMACK
- Share this page
The word smack is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun smack
What does smack mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: smacks
- a blow from a flat object (as an open hand)
- the taste experience when a savoury condiment is taken into the mouth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of smack: flavor / flavour / nip / relish / sapidity / savor / savour / tang
- more generic terms: gustatory perception / gustatory sensation / taste / taste perception / taste sensation = the sensation that results when taste buds in the tongue and throat convey information about the chemical composition of a soluble stimulus
- more specific words:
- a sailing ship (usually rigged like a sloop or cutter) used in fishing and sailing along the coast
- street names for heroin
- an enthusiastic kiss
- the act of smacking something; a blow delivered with an open hand
Alternative definition of the noun smack
- A distinct flavour.
- A slight trace of something; a smattering.
- [slang] heroin.
- A small sailing vessel, commonly rigged as a sloop, used chiefly in the coasting and fishing trade.
- A sharp blow; a slap. See also: spank.
- A loud kiss.
Definition of the adverb smack
What does smack mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
Alternative definition of the adverb smack
- As if with a smack or slap
Definition of the verb smack
What does smack mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: smacked | smacking | smacks
- deliver a hard blow to
- examples: The teacher smacked the student who had misbehaved | The fighter managed to smack his opponent
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] against / into / onto [Location] The grocery cart hit against the wall Verbs of Contact by Impact: bang, bash, brush, bump, butt, clang, clash, clatter, collide, crack, crash, crunch, hammer, knock, ram, rap, slam, slap, smash, squash, strike, thud, thump [Theme - concrete object, plural] [Verb] together The grocery carts thudded together [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Patient] Paul hit at the window | Paula swatted at the fly Verbs of Contact by Impact: batter, beat, bump, butt, drum, hammer, hit, jab, kick, knock, lash, pound, rap, slap, smash, strike, tap [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] at [Patient] with [Instrument] Paul hit at the window with an open hand | Paula swatted at the fly with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Instrument] Paul hit her elbow [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Instrument] against / on [Patient] Paul hit her elbow on the doorknob [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Paula hit the ball | Paula spanked the child | Paula swatted the fly [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] Paul kicked the door open | Paula bit the bag open | They spanked him dead [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Paul hit the door open with his foot | Paula swatted the fly dead with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Paul hit the window to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Paul hit the window to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Paula hit the ball with a stick | Paula spanked the child with her right hand | Paula swatted the fly with a dishcloth [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient, plural] together Paula hit the sticks together [Instrument - body part or reflexive] [Verb] [Patient] The stick hit the fence [Instrument - body part or reflexive] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The stick hit the door open [Instrument - body part or reflexive] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] The hammer hit the window to pieces
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of smack: thwack
- more generic word: hit = deal a blow to, either with the hand or with an instrument
- have an element suggestive (of something)
- have a distinctive or characteristic taste
- kiss lightly
- press (the lips) together and open (the lips) noisily, as in eating
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Jennifer craned her neck [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] at [Cause] Jennifer rolled her eyes at his behavior [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] Jennifer wagged her finger at the naughty child
Verbs Involving the Body (with the same syntax): arch, bare, bat, beat, blow, clench, click, close, cock, crane, crook, cross, drum, flap, flash, flex, flick, flutter, fold, gnash, grind, hang, hunch, kick, knit, open, pucker, purse, raise, roll, rub, shake, show, shuffle, snap, stamp, stretch, toss, turn, twiddle, twitch, wag, waggle, wiggle, wring, wrinkle.
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- more generic terms: emit / let loose / let out / utter = express audibly
Alternative definition of the verb smack
- To indicate or suggest something.
- To slap someone, or to make a smacking sound.
- To wetly separate the lips, making a noise, in expectation of a treat.
- Smack was a Finnish band, which was active 1982-1990. The band's original line-up consisted of singer Claude, guitarists Kartsa and Manchuria, bassist Cheri and drummer Kinde.
- Ilari Peltola (Vocals) between and (8 years)
- Mika Mantere (Guitar) between and (8 years)
- Simon Martin (Bass guitar) between and (4 years)
- Kari Marjanen (Guitar) between and (2 years)
- Juki Marjala (Drums) between and
- Kimmo Leskinen (Drums) between and (5 years)
- Rane Raitsikka (Guitar) between and (6 years)
- Jimi Sero (Bass guitar) between and (3 years)
- Repa Rantsila (Drums) between and
- genres: Glam rock, Garage rock, Punk rock
- albums: "Radical", "Live Desire", "Rattlesnake Bite", "The Collection - State of Independence", "Smack on You", "Salvation", "In Your Face 1982–1990"
- official website: smackonyou.com
- Smack is a Brazilian band from São Paulo, characterized by its raw and experimental instrumentation heavily influenced by Gang of Four, Talking Heads, Os Mutantes and The Jam, among others.
- Smack is a Los Angeles pop/rock band formed by singer/guitarist Lantz L'Amour, current L.A. Guns guitarist Stacey Blades, former and now current Blessings bassist Jamie Zimlin. and former Junkyard drummer Patrick Muzingo.
- "Smack" is a composition.
- "Smack" a.k.a. "Smack!" is a musical album of Carlotta.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Smack" is a musical album of The Neon Judgement.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Smack" is a musical album of Jeff Paris.
- "Smack" is a musical album of The Pitcher.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Smack" is a musical single of Bettie Serveert.
- released in (12 years ago)
"Smack" is a book by Tom Clark.
- Smack is a fictional character from the 2007 film Bomb.
- Smack is a fictional film character.
- Smack is a Linux kernel security module that protects data and process interaction from malicious manipulation using a set of custom mandatory access control rules, with simplicity as its main design goal. It has been officially merged since the Linux 2.6.25 release, and was the main access control mechanism for the MeeGo mobile Operating System. It is also used to sandbox HTML5 web applications in the Tizen architecture, in the commercial Wind River Linux solutions for embedded device development, and in Philips Digital TV products.
- also known as Simplified Mandatory Access Control Kernel
- genre: Computer security
- license: GNU General Public License
- official website: schaufler-ca.com
- Smack — это клиентская библиотека XMPP, написанная на Java. Это свободное программное обеспечение, созданное Jive software и выпущенное под лицензией Apache. Google Android использует Smack для реализации XMPP.
- SMACK a.k.a. St. Mary's College Kisubi: St. Mary's College Kisubi is a boys-only boarding middle and high school located in Wakiso District in Central Uganda.
- read more about St. Mary's College Kisubi
Phrases with Smack
Phrases starting with the word Smack:
Phrases ending with the word Smack:
Other phrases containing the word Smack:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Smack
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Q - Z ; 1 by Hensleigh Wedgwood
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
SMACK, v. n., v. a., & n. ». Sax. j-mseckan : Belg. smaecken; Goth. smak . To have a taste; be tinctured with any particular taste ; make a particular noise in kissing : to kiss ; te emit a smart quick noise : taste ; flavor ; tincture : a loud kiss.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Smack
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Smack
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Freya.Spargo
Photo credit: Pentadact
Photo credit: YLegrand
Photo credit: iantmcfarland
Photo credit: robynejay
Photo credit: Fallonious Monk
happy furry friday!
Photo credit: stereotyp-0815
Emmy and Charlotte share a smooch
Photo credit: cbgrfx123
Photo credit: DocChewbacca
Photo credit: blmurch
Photo credit: Chris Winters
Photo credit: performancecarblog
Photo credit: lula1977
View more pictures about fishing smack.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Smack
Click on an item to play that video:
- Smack Meaning
Video shows what smack means. A distinct flavor.. A slight trace of something; a smattering.. Heroin.. smack pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- The definition of Smack
- 09/05/13: Gandhi's explanation of the talking of smack
- SMACK: Beta Pictoris Debris Disk Simulation Description
A video about the SMACK simulation describing the different observations of beta pictoris' circumstellar disk.
- Helmet smack [description]
- Smack Dat Word In Da Description!
- Free Beat! Beat 108 - Smack Faces (check description)
EDIT: Updated, remastered version of this beat can be found here...
See also the pronunciation examples of Smack!
Quotes about Smack
I hate it when people lose it, there's nothing left because they're not interesting, they're boring, I hate it, and especially smack, people on smack are the most boring in the world. (Michael Hutchence)
more quotes about smack...
Scrabble value of S1M3A1C3K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SMACK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Smack!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Smack to see it in context!