Socrates appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Smart saps nurse tar costs if I cap a pacifist", Socrates runs past rams.
On this page:
- Phrases with Socrates
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Socrates
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Socrates
- Photos about Socrates
- Video language resources about Socrates
- Quotes about Socrates
- Scrabble value of S1O1C3R1A1T1E1S1
- Anagrams of SOCRATES
- Share this page
- Socrates was a classical Greek philosopher credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy. He is an enigmatic figure known chiefly through the accounts of classical writers, especially the writings of his students Plato and Xenophon and the plays of his contemporary Aristophanes. Plato's dialogues are among the most comprehensive accounts of Socrates to survive from antiquity, though it is unclear the degree to which Socrates himself is "hidden behind his 'best disciple', Plato".
- Socrates a.k.a. Sócrates Brasileiro Sampaio de Souza Vieira de Oliveira, MD, simply Sócrates, was a Brazilian footballer who played as an attacking midfielder. His doctorate in medicine and his political awareness, earned him the nickname "Doctor Socrates".
- read more about Sócrates
- Socrates a.k.a. Socrates Alafouzos is an actor.
- read more about Socrates Alafouzos (actor)
- Socrates is a film director.
- profession: Film director, screenwriter
- read more about Socrates (film director)
- Socrates a.k.a. Sócrates is a musical artist.
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group Os Originais do Samba (Guitar) since
- Socrates a.k.a. Haile D'Alan: Haile D'Alan is an actor.
- read more about Haile D'Alan (actor)
- Socrates a.k.a. Paul Oliver is an actor.
- read more about Paul Oliver (actor)
- Socrates a.k.a. Socrates Drank the Conium, known also as Socrates, is a Greek rock band that formed in 1969 and achieved success in the 1970s. Influenced by heavy blues and rock bands like The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream, the band melded the unorthodox time signatures and orchestration of progressive rock and the intensity of blues and hard rock music, creating a unique sound that distinguished them from other Greek rock acts of that period. Outside Greece, Socrates is best known for Phos, their 1976 landmark collaboration album with Vangelis.
- read more about Socrates Drank the Conium
- SoCRaTeS is a musical group.
- album: "4 Way Split"
- Socrates: The representation in fiction and other media of the Greek philosopher Socrates.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 2010 film Animals United.
- Socrates a.k.a. Sócrates is a fictional character from the 1983 film Treasure of the Four Crowns.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the TV Program Operation Love.
- also known as ソクラテス
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 1993 film For Love, Only for Love.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 2011 drama film The Flight of the Swan.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 2005 film Leave It to Chance.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 2006 film Peaceful Warrior.
- Socrates is a fictional character from the 2006 anime "Inukami!".
- "Socrates", written by Voltaire, the famous French philosopher in the mid 18th century, is a play in three acts that concerns itself with Socrates and the events just before his death during his trial. It is heavy with satire specifically at government authority and organized religion. The main characters besides the titular role is that of the priest Anitus, his entourage, Socrates' wife Xantippe, several judges, and some children Socrates has adopted as his own.
- "Socrates" is a book by W. K. C. Guthrie.
- subjects: Ancient philosophy, Philosophy, Socrates
- "Socrates" is a book by C. C. W. Taylor, published on (15 years ago).
- "Socrates" is a book by Amyas Bushe.
- also known as "Socrates, a dramatic poem"; "Socrates a dramatic poem"
- "Socrates" is a book by Sarah Kofman.
- also known as "Socrates: fictions of a philosopher"
There are many other writings with this title.
"Socrates" is a 1971 Spanish, Italian, French film directed by Roberto Rossellini.
- also known as Socrate
- countries: France, Italy, Spain
- language: Italian Language
- producer: Renzo Rossellini
- production design by Bernardo Ballester & Giusto Puro Purini
- written by Marcella Mariani, Jean-Dominique de La Rochefoucauld, Roberto Rossellini
- based on a story by Plato
- cinematography by Jorge Herrero
- edited by Alfredo Muschietti
- music by Mario Nascimbene
- costume design by Marcella De Marchis
- genres: Biographical film, Historical fiction
- released on (44 years ago)
- "Socrates" is an outdoor sculpture by artist W. V. Casey created c. 1950. The work is on the grounds of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana, United States. The sculpture depicts the Greek Athenian philosopher Socrates. In 1993 the sculpture was examined by the Save Outdoor Sculpture! program produced by the Smithsonian Institution.
- "Socrates" is a sculpture by Constantin Brâncuși.
- begun in (93 years ago)
- media: oak
- subject: Socrates
- SOCRATES is a mnemonic acronym used by emergency medical services, doctors, nurses and other health professionals to evaluate the nature of pain that a patient is experiencing.
- SOCRATES or Space Optical Communications Research Advanced Technology Satellite is a Japanese micro-satellite launched in 2014. The satellite is purely a technology demonstrator intended to help AES company to gain experience in basic mission control, attitude control and spacecraft communications. It does not have any dedicated payload instruments. All subsystems of spacecraft are powered by solar cells mounted on spacecraft body and stub wings, with estimated electrical power of 120W BOL degrading to 100W EOL.
Phrases with Socrates
- Socrates Mine Jewelflower
- Troides Socrates
- Acosmeryx Socrates
- Afrascius Socrates
- Camponotus socrates
- Capenopsis Socrates
- Xylotrupes Socrates
- Ornithoptera Socrates
- Pyrrhopygopsis Socrates
- Species Troides Socrates
- Species Acosmeryx Socrates
- Species Afrascius Socrates
- species Camponotus socrates
- Species Capenopsis Socrates
- Species Xylotrupes Socrates
- Species Ornithoptera Socrates
- Pheidole biconstricta socrates
- subspecies Pheidole biconstricta socrates
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Socrates
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Dov M. Gabbay, John Woods
if taken as a free-standing proposition, asserts that Socrates is a man and not an animal, which cannot be true since all men are animals. So what the antecedent asserts is false, and the principle that nothing follows from ...
A Biography by Terry Pinkard
On Sextus' account, a familiar syllogism such as "Every man is an animal, Socrates is a man, therefore Socrates is an animal" is inadequate; it itself rests on syllogisms that are either incomplete - how do we know that every man is an animal ...
Communication and Reference (1984)
by Aloysius Martinich
The first kind is a sentence containing the word "a," such as "Socrates is a man." One might think that this sentence is formally the same and even synonymous with one considered earlier, "Socrates is human," and hence express the same ...
Principles of Logic (1916)
by George Hayward Joyce
Thus : — Socrates is a man ; All men are mammals ; All mammals are animals ; All animals are living creatures ; All living creatures are substances ; f. Socrates is a substance. An argument of this character may be analysed into a number of ...
by Richard McCombs
Furthermore, even though “Socrates is a pagan” and “Bernard of Clairvaux” is a Christian and a saint, “there is more Christianity in the Socratic approach” to converting people to a better way of thinking and living “than in St. Bernard's” (JP, ...
by Donald J. Zeyl
Also problematic as reliable sources are the four works purporting to be about the historical Socrates by Xenophon: Memorabilia,
First, Xenophon's Socrates is so dull and innocuous that it is impossible to see either why any bright, serious, ...
by Sean Sheehan
Socrates (Sokrates) Slaves also played a part in some areas of community life. They could participate in the Eleusinian Mysteries, and there was a special holiday, the Kronia, when slaves could sit down and eat a meal and drink wine with ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Socrates
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Socrates
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: dneff
Socks taking photos, but listening to the neighbors partying.
Photo credit: AJU_photography
Photo credit: Taymaz Valley
Photo credit: Averain
Photo credit: bencrowe
- Armless Socrates
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Athena looking over Socrates
Photo credit: tiseb
- Taking Socrates
Socrates is a talking, moving, sculpted head controlled with a chatbot. He speaks in 25 languages. Free at Phaze Demesnes sim
Photo credit: Bender.Secondlife
View more pictures about Socrates Sculpture Park.
Video language resources about Socrates
Click on an item to play that video:
- Socrates Meaning
Video shows what Socrates means. A Classical Greek philosopher.. of mostly historical use.. Socrates pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Prosolve Meaning of life Socrates, and the Socratic method
This video will be about the greek philosopher Socrates, and his method of teach along with his version of meaning of life. Remember this is still a lot more ...
- 04-1-16-17 Socrates' Refutation of the Euthyphro's First Definition
04-1-14-15 Euthyphro's First Definition of Piety Rich Legum's Classical Philosophy Course.
- Lesson 46: Socrates Argument Analysis Explanation
- Socrates explains meaning of 3D
- Advanced Language Skills Adaptation: Plato Recital Dialogues of Socrates
- ESL Advanced Philosophy Socrates and The Socratic Method
To join a class...
See also the pronunciation examples of Socrates!
Quotes about Socrates
Scrabble value of S1O1C3R1A1T1E1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SOCRATES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Socrates!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Socrates to see it in context!