Soft appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Sister Suzie sewing shirts for soldiers
Such skill as sewing shirts
Our shy young sister Suzie shows
Some soldiers send epistles
Say they'd rather sleep in thistles
Than the saucy, soft short shirts for soldiers Sister Suzie sews.
- Sister Susie's sewing shirts for soldiers,
Such saucy soft short shirts for soldiers sister Susie sews,
Some soldiers send epistles say they'd sooner sleep on thistles,
Than those saucy soft short shirts for soldiers,
Sister Susie sews.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective soft:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective soft and its most common antonyms:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective soft
- Definition of the adverb soft
- Phrases with Soft
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Soft
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Soft
- Photos about Soft
- Video language resources about Soft
- Quotes about Soft
- Scrabble value of S1O1F4T1
- Anagrams of SOFT
- Share this page
The word soft is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective soft
What does soft mean as an attribute of a noun?
Soft is one of the top 100 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: softer | softest
- yielding readily to pressure or weight
- antonym: hard
- similar: brushed / fleecy / napped; cheeselike; compressible / squeezable; cottony; cushioned / cushiony / padded; demulcent / emollient / salving / softening; downlike / downy / flossy / fluffy; flaccid; flocculent / woolly / wooly; yielding; mushy; overstuffed; semisoft / softish; spongelike / spongy / squashy / squishy; velvet / velvety
- attribute: hardness = the property of being rigid and resistant to pressure; not easily scratched
- compassionate and kind; conciliatory
- (of sound) relatively low in volume
- examples: soft voices | soft music
- antonym: loud
- similar: dull / muffled / muted / softened; euphonious; gentle; hushed / muted / quiet / subdued; little / small; low / low-toned; murmuring / susurrant / whispering; murmurous / rustling / soughing / susurrous; soft-footed; soft-spoken
- attribute: intensity / loudness / volume = the magnitude of sound
- see also: quiet
- easily hurt
- produced with vibration of the vocal cords
- not protected against attack (especially by nuclear weapons)
- example: soft targets
- antonym: hardened
- (used chiefly as a direction or description in music) soft; in a quiet, subdued tone
- (of light) transmitted from a broad light source or reflected
- (of speech sounds); produced with the back of the tongue raised toward the hard palate; characterized by a hissing or hushing sound (as `s' and `sh')
- (of a commodity or market or currency) falling or likely to fall in value
- example: the market for computers is soft
- similar: falling
- using evidence not readily amenable to experimental verification or refutation
- examples: soft data | the soft sciences
- similar: qualitative
- tolerant or lenient
- soft and mild; not harsh or stern or severe
- having little impact
- out of condition; not strong or robust; incapable of exertion or endurance
- willing to negotiate and compromise
- not burdensome or demanding; borne or done easily and without hardship
- mild and pleasant
- not brilliant or glaring
Alternative definition of the adjective soft
- Giving way under pressure.
- [context: of cloth or similar material] Smooth and flexible.
- See Gentle.
- Requiring little or no effort, easy
- Not bright or intense
- [context: of a road intersection] Having an acute angle.
- [context: of a sound] Quiet.
- antonym: hard
- [linguistics] voiced, sonant
- antonym: sensible
- [linguistics] [rare] voiceless
- [linguistics, Slavic languages] palatalized
- [slang] Lacking strength or resolve, wimpy.
- [context: of water] Low in dissolved calcium compounds.
- [context: Northern England, colloquial] Foolish.
- [physics] Of a ferromagnetic material; a material that becomes essentially non magnetic when an external magnetic field is removed, a material with a low magnetic coercivity. (compare hard)
- [context: of a person] Physically or emotionally weak.
Definition of the adverb soft
What does soft mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- Soft is an American indie rock band from New York City.
- Soft is a musical group.
- album: "Art Farmer Remixes"
- official website: www.softribe.jp
- Soft is a musical group.
- albums: "Partout étranger", "Konfyans", "Kadans a péyi-la"
There are other groups with in their name, like Soft Boys, Soft Cell, Soft Heap, Soft Black, Soft Cream, Soft Eject, Soft Sands, Soft Verge, Soft Works, Soft Ballet, Soft Canyon, Soft Metals, Soft Parade, Soft Swells, Soft Tigers, Soft Machine, Soft Verdict, The Soft Boys, The Soft Eyes and The Soft Moon.
- "Soft" is a musical album of Nevarakka.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Soft" is a composition.
- "Soft" is a musical EP of Sr. Click.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "SOFT" is a musical album of Luke Rathborne.
- released on
- "Soft" is a musical single of The Winyls.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Soft" is a musical album of Sunburned Hand of the Man.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Soft" a.k.a. "Live 2002" is a musical album of Sinclair.
- read more about Live 2002
"Soft" a.k.a. "Soft!" is a novel by British writer Rupert Thomson, written in 1998 London.
- also known as "Soft"
"Soft" is a 2007 short drama film written and directed by Simon Ellis.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Jane Hooks
- production design by Prue Howard
- written by Simon Ellis
- Jonathan Phillips as Iain
- Matthew O'Shea as Scott
- Michael Socha as ASBO
- Ashley Marshall as Gang
- Luke Kingston as Gang
- David Harrison as Gang
- Jess Buxton as Gang
- Zara Hearnshaw as Gang
- Kiddus Salassie as Gang
- Mark Devenport as Shopkeeper
- Christine McSween as Passing Woman
- Phil Molloy as Neighbour
- Jane Hooks as Neighbour
- cinematography by Christopher Ross
- edited by Simon Ellis
- music by Tom Bailey
- genre: Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Soft is a fictional character from the 2001 film No Man's Land.
- Soft is a fictional character from the 1992 film Cyber Eden.
- Soft is a fictional character from the 1985 drama mystery science fiction film O-Bi, O-Ba: The End of Civilization.
Soft is a cheese texture.
There are other foods with Soft in their name, like Soft serve, Cod Soft Roe, Soft boiled egg, Soft-Boiled Egg, Soft-shell crab, Taco Bell Soft Taco, Taco Bell Soft Taco with steak, Canola Harvest Soft Spread Margarine, Keebler Baker's Treasures Soft Cookies, Keebler Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies and Keebler Chips Deluxe Soft 'n' Chewy Cookies.
Soft is an album by Dan Bodan.
Phrases with Soft
- Soft C
- Soft G
- soft on
- Soft key
- soft roe
- soft rot
- Soft Top
- soft coal
- soft copy
- soft corn
- Soft Crab
- soft diet
- soft drug
- soft flag
- Soft Mick
- soft news
- Soft Pine
- Soft rock
View more phrases with the word Soft in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Soft
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Pemberton (F.R.S.L.)
Soft is an adjective. Little is an adjective. Zess is an adjective. Least is an adjective. Large is an adjective ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
SOFT. sena, the Bladaiska, and the Bojana, tributaries of the Isker, which are connected by ditches. The climate is subject to great seasonal and diurnal changes—the annual range of temperature being from – 4° in Jan. to 100° in Aug ., while ...
by Jaswant Singh, A. Aggarwal
soft material used to protect something or ...
Dictionary of Americanisms (1859)
A Glossary of Words and Phrases Usually Regarded as Peculiar to the United States by John Russell Bartlett
SOFT CORN. Flattery. The more common terms are " soft sawder " and " soft soap," which see.
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
soft currency soft currency /sɒft krənsi/ noun the currency of a country with a weak economy, which is cheap to buy and...
transaction business soft landing soft landing /sɒft lndiŋ/ noun a change in economic strategy to counteract inflation, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Soft
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Soft
Click on an item to view that photo:
super carenar 35mm f/2.8
Photo credit: jonasg74
Photo credit: -=Kip=-
Photo credit: Luigi Mengato
Thailand - Ban Karon
Photo credit: superUbO
Photo credit: nillamaria
Photo credit: rockymountainhigh
Photo credit: A_Peach
The skin of her neck feels just as soft as the silky shiny fabric of her skirt.
Photo credit: Paula Satijn
Photo credit: hyacinth50
Photo credit: bluebirdsandteapots
Photo credit: hyacinth50
Make a photograph of something that is soft, or at least looks that way. Convince the viewer of the softness.
Photo credit: katerha
- Soft Life
Wallpaper for your desktop. May be used for desktop purposes only.
Photo credit: LadyofW
- As soft as it looks
Photo credit: liesvanrompaey
- Soft Sense
Photo credit: Joel Olives
- | soft moment |
Photo credit: arquera
- Soft Orange Dish Cloth
A cloth in a warm orange light 2560x1600
Photo credit: Golden_Ribbon
- Dinosaur Soft Toy
Photo credit: foilman
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Soft
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mineral Eye Liner | Soft & Smooth Eye Definition by e.l.f. Cosmetics
- Video Slide Explanation of how Spectra Soft Laser Peel works for Enlarged Pores
Video slide explanation of how Spectra Soft Laser Peel In Las Vegas improves enlarged pores. Spectra Soft Peel for large pores & melasma is currently ...
- Soft Meaning
Video shows what soft means. Easily giving way under pressure.. Smooth and flexible; not rough, rugged, or harsh.. Gentle.. soft pronunciation. How to ...
- Soft Insurance Market Definition : Insurance Questions
- Racing Term #291 "Soft" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Soft drink Meaning
Video shows what soft drink means. Any carbonated, usually sweet, non-alcoholic drink.. Any non-alcoholic drink.. Soft drink Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- The Observant Jew - Soft Launch - Meaning in a Minute
- Soft Spoken- dialect tag
- Unveiling of "Soft Language of Empty Space" Mandala Painting
eBay Giving Works Auction of the painting ends on November 25 at 7:00 pm ...
- Soft language
- NinA SkoL soft description perscribed
ERic S SkoL plays an improv on acoustic.
- Signing "Soft Language of Empty Space"
As a way of "signing" this collaborative work of art, the hands of all who were involved in making its creation possible were traced on the back of the board during ...
- Day 350: Soft Language
- Description of GE Link Wireless BR30 Smart Connected LED Light Bulb, Soft White
- Huawei S9700 Series Switches Product Description soft hw 187407
By Al Maria Tech...
View more videos about Soft C, Soft G, Soft rock, Soft sell, Soft Spot, Soft Hands, Soft Maple, Soft power, Soft serve, Soft Skill, Soft Touch, soft water, Soft Drinks, Soft Palate, Soft photon, Soft tennis, Soft tissue, and Soft Dollars.
See also the pronunciation examples of Soft!
Quotes about Soft
Soft and hard words
There in the dictionary
Soft and hard
In a man beautify him
Soft and hard
In right place and
In right time
Make the country
And soft and hard
Are the ingredients
Of smart power strategy. (Gajanan Mishra)
more quotes about soft...
Scrabble value of S1O1F4T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of SOFT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Soft!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Soft to see it in context!