On this page:
- Definition of the noun spelling
- Phrases with Spelling
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spelling
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spelling
- Photos about Spelling
- Video language resources about Spelling
- Sign language
- Quotes about Spelling
- Scrabble value of S1P3E1L1L1I1N1G2
- Share this page
The word spelling is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun spelling
What does spelling mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: spellings
- forming words with letters according to the principles underlying accepted usage
- examples: Your composition was good except for the spelling. | There are several spelling errors in your essay. | Correct my spelling if it's wrong. | I can't find any logic to English spelling. 'T-O-G-H' can be pronounced as 'fish'. | We must guard against mistakes in spelling. | It's a good paper, apart from a few spelling mistakes. | You cannot be too careful about spelling. | Here are some words whose spelling may cause trouble. | Apart from a few spelling mistakes, it is a good composition. | I refer you to the dictionary for the correct spelling.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: orthography / writing system = a method of representing the sounds of a language by written or printed symbols
- more specific word: misspelling = a spelling that is incorrect
- part: letter of the alphabet / alphabetic character / letter = the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech
Alternative definition of the noun spelling
- [uncountable] The act, practice, ability, or subject of forming words with letters, or of reading the letters of words; orthography.
- synonym: orthography
- [uncountable] The manner of spelling of words; correct spelling.
- [countable] A specific spelling of a word.
- [US, rare, dated, countable or uncountable] A spelling test or spelling bee.
- "Spelling" is a book by Erik Wallin.
- also known as "Spelling. Factorial and experimental studies"
- "Spelling" is a book by Carol Vorderman.
- "Spelling" is a book by George Henry Vallins.
- "Spelling" is a book by John Ward Studebaker.
- also known as "Spelling; results of an investigation of pupils' ability to spell"
Phrases with Spelling
Phrases starting with the word Spelling:
Phrases ending with the word Spelling:
Other phrase containing the word Spelling:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spelling
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Theory and Applications by Elaine Chew
Pitch spelling is the process of assigning appropriate pitch names that are consistent with the key context to numeric representations of pitch, such as MIDI or pitch class numbers. The Spiral Array model is a spatial model for representing pitch ...
by New York State Stenographers' Association
Spelling is the visible form of language, as pronunciation is its audible form. Next to speech spelling is the great means of communication among mankind. The child leaves the cradle 8i>
Write in Style (1993)
A Guide to Good English by Richard Palmer
In contrast to such sophisticated matters as sentence structure, paragraphing and the full consideration of parts of speech, or achieving crisp and appropriate syntax, accurate spelling is a simple business. One can see why it takes young ...
Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications, Third Editiion by Andrew Sears, Julie A. Jacko
Spelling is a good alternate form of input to help resolve a recognition problem. It works best when...
The Phonographic Magazine (1890)
Fonetic spelling is an exact science; as much so as numeration. Fonetic spellers ar absolutely exact.
Spelling is a subject in which we are all intimately concerned, for scarcely an hour passes in which we are not called upon...
Handbook of Cognition (2005)
by Koen Lamberts, Robert L. Goldstone
Spaces between words are clear, and canonical spelling is the norm. Handwriting is more complex, but the identification of handwritten words has been the subject of comparatively little research. Manso de Zuniga, Humphreys, and Evett ( 1 ...
Phonics Pathways (2011)
Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling by Dolores G. Hiskes
The idea behind invented spelling is that students will remain free and creative, and “grow into” correct spelling later. But however we learn something the first time tends to “stick,” even if it is wrong. For example, if we learn someone's name ...
All about Learning English (2012)
Tips, Tricks and Techniques by Sandra Price-Hosie
Spelling is the order that letters are arranged in words. When there is a strong relation between sounds and letters forming words, the language is said to be phonetic and it is easy to learn to read and write. English was once phonetic but now ...
The Coming Job Boom (2008)
Why the Employment Market for Young Graduates Has Never Been Better by Bonnie Snyder, Ira Wolfe
An inability to handle basic writing skills such as using correct grammar and spelling is the most frequently noted problem in young workers' basic knowledge. In fact, Written Communication is the most frequently reported problem with hires for ...
Entick's New Spelling Dictionary, Teaching to Write and Pronounce the English Tongue with Ease and Propriety ... (1812)
The Whole Compiled and Digested in a Manner Intirely New, and Adapted to the Use of Schools in the United States; to which are Added, an Alphabetical Account of the Heathen Deities, a Copious Chronological Table of Remarkable Events, Discoveries and Inventions; and a List of the Principal Post Towns in the United States, with Their Distances from the Seat of the Government. To this Work is Prefixed, An Abridgemnt of English Grammar, Designed for the Younger Classes of Learners by John Entick, Lindley Murray
spelling. anD. ipronotmnng. DICTIONARY. t. for Adjective: ad. for Adverb : conj. for Conjunction : in/j. for Interjection: fart, for Participle: pr. for Preposition : s. for Substantive : pron. for Pronoun : v. for Verb : •». a. for Verb Active : v. n. for Verb ...
Entick's New Spelling Dictionary ... Carefully revised, corrected, and improved, by John Robinson (1834)
by John ENTICK, John ROBINSON (Schoolmaster, of London.)
THE NEW SPELLING DICTIONARY, TEACH ING TO WRITE AND PRONOUNCE THE ENGLISH TONGUE WITH EASE AND PROPRIETY. EXPLANATION. * means Adjective: ad. Adverb: ar. Article: con. Conjunction: in. Interjection: pg.
by John NEWBERY (Publisher.)
~ - - 'A сомгьвтн THOUGH YceMPrls/'D IOUS SPELLING DICTIONARY. A В А D 4. A ( 53 ) v ...
by John NEWBERY (Publisher.)
17' А COMPLETE \ THOUGH COMPENDIO US SPELLING DICTIÓNARY. ш A. 4— t 55 › - ...
The Spelling Dictionary, Or, a Collection of All the Common Words and Proper Names ... in the English Tongue ... Second Edition, Etc (1725)
by Thomas DYCHE
Spelling Book,vvith Cuts. Conílahle'sGuide. Co.'lings's Gauging. Cabinetnri` Wir. Camßrìdge feit. Culpeperë Engliih Phyiician, Difpenfatory, Lait Legacy, Phyñck' for the Poor.. Compleat Engliih Secretary. City andtounty Recreation. Cries of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spelling
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Spelling
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Spelling Fail
Photo credit: kreg.steppe
- Alternative Spelling
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Ineffective spelling
Photo credit: @boetter
- Or spelling, apparently
Photo credit: zimpenfish
- Host a spelling program
The Community Continuing Education should make sure that they also include some English spelling classes in their program.
Photo credit: 4nitsirk
- Spelling is hard
Photo credit: Wouter Verhelst
View more pictures about Spelling bee.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Spelling
Click on an item to play that video:
- Days of the Week Spelling Chant for Kids! (Monday - Sunday Vocabulary)
- Food Spelling Chant for Kids (Preschool-Grade 1 Vocabulary)
- Workers/Jobs/Occupations Vocabulary Spelling Song/Chant for Kids.
Practice saying and spelling the following vocab words: Farmer, teacher, doctor, nurse, fireman, policeman, driver.
- VOCABULARY: Words with more than one spelling
Do you get confused about which of two possible spellings to use? Are you unsure whether it's disc or disk, sympathise or sympathize, learnt or learned?
- Pets (animals) Vocabulary Spelling Chant/Song for Kids.
- Transportation Vehicles (air and water) Spelling Vocabulary Chant/Song for Kids.
Learn to spell the following vehicles: aeroplane, ship, boat, ferry, helicopter, hot-air balloon...
- Practice and Learn English Spelling and Vocabulary
Learn and practice English with us at...
- Zoo Animals Vocabulary Spelling Chant/Song for Kids
- Transportation Vehicles (Ground) Spelling Vocabulary Chant/Song for Kids.
Learn to spell the following vehicles: bicycle, car, taxi, train, bus...
- First Grade Spelling Vocabulary Apps Free
Get the app here...
- UIL Academics: Spelling & Vocabulary
- Spelling Vocabulary
- English Spelling Test - Shops Vocabulary Quiz
- Work Places Vocabulary Spelling Song/Chant for Kids.
Practice saying and spelling the following vocabulary words: Farm, school, hospital, fire station, police station...
- 20 English Words with Same Spelling but Different Meaning/Pronunciation
(July 31, 2015): One of the complicated aspects of English is that some words have the same spelling but have different meanings and pronunciation. In this ...
- Spelling Test Practice with Nouns - Customizable vocabulary building app
Ranked in Top 100 Free apps for kids ages 6-8, Spelling Test Practice with Nouns is the most comprehensive spelling app for pre-school to 1st and 2nd grade ...
- SPELLING - VOCABULARY
- Insects Vocabulary and Spelling Chant for Kids.
Learn how to pronounce and spell the following insects: snail, spider, ant, bee, worm, butterfly, grasshopper...
- Spelling Vocabulary (Riki Yunus)
- Spelling Chant for Kids - (Kindergarten-Grade 1 vocabulary) Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Night
- ESL GRAMMAR SPELLING
learn about when to double consonants when adding ing.
- ESL Videos + The Spelling of Some Vowels and Consonant Sounds By Eric Kane
- Dictionary and Spelling Resources
- LOL (Nigerian Tag) The Correct Grammer and Spelling DICTIONARY
Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous country in the world with a population of more than 160 million people Nigeria is one of ...
- Spelling, grammar, and language tools in Word for Mac 2011
Learn some tips for using the spelling, grammar, and language options and tools in Word for Mac 2011.
- ESL Numbers Spelling Song 1-10
Learn to spell the numbers 1-10 CHORDS FOR THE SONGS One E...Am E Am E Am F E Two A D A / / E / A D A / / E / A Three D G D A D G / A D Four D G A D ...
- WHOLE English Language - SSP PHONICS Reading and Spelling Lesson with Miss Emma
Every spelling choice for the speech sounds used within phonics teaching. NB this video has been improved and updated !
- Strange Spelling in the English Language
Deane presents Rob with a strange word and asks him to pronounce it. The solution to the problem depends on unusual letter combinations in the English ...
- Learn Why Most English As a Second Language Learners Hate Spelling
- ESL Spelling Test 4: Insects
ESL Spelling Test on Insects.
View more videos about Spelling bee.
See also the pronunciation examples of Spelling!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn and Master Sign Language - Tip 04 - Finger Spelling
- Reading Finger Spelling in Sign Language
Practince reading finger spelling in Sign Language A partial transcript of the video can be found at the Color of Language website: ...
- Kayla's Class - Lesson 1 - Finger Spelling (American Sign Language)
learn the alphabet in american sign language.
- Daughter doing sign language/ spelling her name and saying Marry Christmas mommy
- Finger spelling/Sign Language (Lesson Three)
ASL Fingerspelling VISUAL RECEPTION ABILITIES Practice.
Quotes about Spelling
Scrabble value of S1P3E1L1L1I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Spelling to see it in context!