On this page:
- Definition of the noun spelling
- Phrases with Spelling
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spelling
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spelling
- Photos about Spelling
- Video language resources about Spelling
- Sign language
- Quotes about Spelling
- Scrabble value of S1P3E1L1L1I1N1G2
- Share this page
The word spelling is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun spelling
What does spelling mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: spellings
- forming words with letters according to the principles underlying accepted usage
- examples: Your composition was good except for the spelling. | There are several spelling errors in your essay. | Correct my spelling if it's wrong. | I can't find any logic to English spelling. 'T-O-G-H' can be pronounced as 'fish'. | We must guard against mistakes in spelling. | It's a good paper, apart from a few spelling mistakes. | You cannot be too careful about spelling. | Here are some words whose spelling may cause trouble. | Apart from a few spelling mistakes, it is a good composition. | I refer you to the dictionary for the correct spelling.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: orthography / writing system = a method of representing the sounds of a language by written or printed symbols
- more specific word: misspelling = a spelling that is incorrect
- part: letter of the alphabet / alphabetic character / letter = the conventional characters of the alphabet used to represent speech
Alternative definition of the noun spelling
- [uncountable] The act, practice, ability, or subject of forming words with letters, or of reading the letters of words; orthography.
- synonym: orthography
- [uncountable] The manner of spelling of words; correct spelling.
- [countable] A specific spelling of a word.
- [US, rare, dated, countable or uncountable] A spelling test or spelling bee.
- "Spelling" is a book by Erik Wallin.
- also known as "Spelling. Factorial and experimental studies"
- "Spelling" is a book by Carol Vorderman.
- "Spelling" is a book by George Henry Vallins.
- "Spelling" is a book by John Ward Studebaker.
- also known as "Spelling; results of an investigation of pupils' ability to spell"
Phrases with Spelling
Phrases starting with the word Spelling:
Phrases ending with the word Spelling:
Other phrase containing the word Spelling:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Spelling
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Write in Style (2003)
A Guide to Good English by Richard Palmer
In contrast to such sophisticated matters as sentence structure, paragraphing and the full consideration of parts of speech, or achieving crisp and appropriate syntax, accurate spelling is a simple business. One can see why it takes young ...
The Phonographic Magazine (1890)
Fonetic spelling is an exact science; as much so as numeration. Fonetic spellers ar absolutely exact.
by New York State Stenographers' Association
Spelling is the visible form of language, as pronunciation is its audible form. Next to speech spelling is the great means of communication among mankind. The child leaves the cradle 8i>
by John Algeo
Contemporary spelling is the heir of thirteen centuries of English writing in the Latin alphabet. It is hardly surprising, therefore, that our orthography has traces of its earlier history both in its general rules and in its anomalies. Whenever we set ...
Phonics Pathways (2011)
Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling by Dolores G. Hiskes
The idea behind invented spelling is that students will remain free and creative, and “grow into” correct spelling later. But however we learn something the first time tends to “stick,” even if it is wrong. For example, if we learn someone's name ...
Major Thrusts of Research and Theory by S. Rosenberg
Finger spelling is a manual representation of written English thatprovides aonetoone correspondence between written letters and hand configurations representing the letters. The Deafness andLanguage Development Language Intervention ...
Containing a Much Larger Collection of Modern Words Than Any Book of the Kind and Price Extant: ... By A. Fisher, ...
primitive, or original conversation words, than any other larger Dićtionary whatever ; while, without any obsolete or inelegant ones, it has fewer compound words than the least extant; having no past verbs, but irregulars which vary in spelling ...
A Practical Dictionary of the English Language, Giving the Correct Spelling, Pronunciation, and Definitions of Words (1884)
With an Appendix Containing Various Useful Tables : Chiefly Derived from Webster's Unabridged Dictionary by Noah Webster
A PRACTHMUQIHCTIONARY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, GIVING THE CORRECT SPELLING, PRONUNCIATION, AND DEFINITIONS OF WORDS, WITH AN APPENDIX CONTAINING VARIOUS USEFUL TABLES. CHIEFLY DERIVED ...
Entick's New Spelling Dictionary ... Carefully revised, corrected, and improved, by John Robinson (1834)
by John ENTICK, John ROBINSON (Schoolmaster, of London.)
THE NEW SPELLING DICTIONARY, TEACH ING TO WRITE AND PRONOUNCE THE ENGLISH TONGUE WITH EASE AND PROPRIETY. EXPLANATION. * means Adjective: ad. Adverb: ar. Article: con. Conjunction: in. Interjection: pg.
by John NEWBERY (Publisher.)
~ - - 'A сомгьвтн THOUGH YceMPrls/'D IOUS SPELLING DICTIONARY. A В А D 4. A ( 53 ) v ...
by Pramod K. Chaudhari
spelling is difficult to master for native speakers aswell as language learners just because English is developed from several different language families, and because it so easily absorbs new words from other languages, including Hindi.
Spelling Rules Spelling words correctly can sometimes be difficult, unless you have a very good memory. Here are some rules that can help. General Rules Rule 1 q is never written without u. quern qu/ife quutet Rule 2 No English words end ...
Nuttall's spelling bee guide, condensed from Nuttall's standard pronouncing dictionary, Warne's ed (1876)
by P Austin Nuttall
SPELLING. BEE. GENERAL DIRECTIONS. 1. Advertise well in the neighbourhood, stating when and where the Bee will be held, number and description of prizes and terms of admittance. Name especially the Dictionary to be used as the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Spelling
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Spelling
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Spelling Fail
Photo credit: kreg.steppe
- Ineffective spelling
Photo credit: @boetter
- Alternative Spelling
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Or spelling, apparently
Photo credit: zimpenfish
- Host a spelling program
The Community Continuing Education should make sure that they also include some English spelling classes in their program.
Photo credit: 4nitsirk
- Spelling is hard
Photo credit: Wouter Verhelst
View more pictures about Spelling bee.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Spelling
Click on an item to play that video:
- Days of the Week Spelling Chant for Kids! (Monday - Sunday Vocabulary)
- Food Spelling Chant for Kids (Preschool-Grade 1 Vocabulary)
- Workers/Jobs/Occupations Vocabulary Spelling Song/Chant for Kids.
Practice saying and spelling the following vocab words: Farmer, teacher, doctor, nurse, fireman, policeman, driver.
- VOCABULARY: Words with more than one spelling
Do you get confused about which of two possible spellings to use? Are you unsure whether it's disc or disk, sympathise or sympathize, learnt or learned?
- Pets (animals) Vocabulary Spelling Chant/Song for Kids.
- Transportation Vehicles (air and water) Spelling Vocabulary Chant/Song for Kids.
Learn to spell the following vehicles: aeroplane, ship, boat, ferry, helicopter, hot-air balloon...
- Practice and Learn English Spelling and Vocabulary
Learn and practice English with us at...
- Zoo Animals Vocabulary Spelling Chant/Song for Kids
- Transportation Vehicles (Ground) Spelling Vocabulary Chant/Song for Kids.
Learn to spell the following vehicles: bicycle, car, taxi, train, bus...
- First Grade Spelling Vocabulary Apps Free
Get the app here...
- UIL Academics: Spelling & Vocabulary
- Spelling Vocabulary
- English Spelling Test - Shops Vocabulary Quiz
- Work Places Vocabulary Spelling Song/Chant for Kids.
Practice saying and spelling the following vocabulary words: Farm, school, hospital, fire station, police station...
- 20 English Words with Same Spelling but Different Meaning/Pronunciation
(July 31, 2015): One of the complicated aspects of English is that some words have the same spelling but have different meanings and pronunciation. In this ...
- Spelling Test Practice with Nouns - Customizable vocabulary building app
Ranked in Top 100 Free apps for kids ages 6-8, Spelling Test Practice with Nouns is the most comprehensive spelling app for pre-school to 1st and 2nd grade ...
- SPELLING - VOCABULARY
- Insects Vocabulary and Spelling Chant for Kids.
Learn how to pronounce and spell the following insects: snail, spider, ant, bee, worm, butterfly, grasshopper...
- Spelling Vocabulary (Riki Yunus)
- Spelling Chant for Kids - (Kindergarten-Grade 1 vocabulary) Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Night
- ESL GRAMMAR SPELLING
learn about when to double consonants when adding ing.
- ESL Videos + The Spelling of Some Vowels and Consonant Sounds By Eric Kane
- Dictionary and Spelling Resources
- LOL (Nigerian Tag) The Correct Grammer and Spelling DICTIONARY
Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa and the 8th most populous country in the world with a population of more than 160 million people Nigeria is one of ...
- Spelling, grammar, and language tools in Word for Mac 2011
Learn some tips for using the spelling, grammar, and language options and tools in Word for Mac 2011.
- ESL Numbers Spelling Song 1-10
Learn to spell the numbers 1-10 CHORDS FOR THE SONGS One E...Am E Am E Am F E Two A D A / / E / A D A / / E / A Three D G D A D G / A D Four D G A D ...
- WHOLE English Language - SSP PHONICS Reading and Spelling Lesson with Miss Emma
Every spelling choice for the speech sounds used within phonics teaching. NB this video has been improved and updated !
- Strange Spelling in the English Language
Deane presents Rob with a strange word and asks him to pronounce it. The solution to the problem depends on unusual letter combinations in the English ...
- Learn Why Most English As a Second Language Learners Hate Spelling
- ESL Spelling Test 4: Insects
ESL Spelling Test on Insects.
View more videos about Spelling bee.
See also the pronunciation examples of Spelling!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learn and Master Sign Language - Tip 04 - Finger Spelling
- Reading Finger Spelling in Sign Language
Practince reading finger spelling in Sign Language A partial transcript of the video can be found at the Color of Language website: ...
- Kayla's Class - Lesson 1 - Finger Spelling (American Sign Language)
learn the alphabet in american sign language.
- Daughter doing sign language/ spelling her name and saying Marry Christmas mommy
- Finger spelling/Sign Language (Lesson Three)
ASL Fingerspelling VISUAL RECEPTION ABILITIES Practice.
Quotes about Spelling
Scrabble value of S1P3E1L1L1I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Spelling to see it in context!