St. Elmo's fire
Definition of the noun st. elmo's fire
What does st. elmo's fire mean as a name of something?
- an electrical discharge accompanied by ionization of surrounding atmosphere
- lexical domain: Natural Phenomena - nouns denoting natural phenomena
- synonyms of St. Elmo's fire: corona / corona discharge / corposant / electric glow / Saint Elmo's fire / Saint Elmo's light / Saint Ulmo's fire / Saint Ulmo's light
- more generic terms: arc / discharge / electric arc / electric discharge / spark = electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field
"St. Elmo's Fire": St. Elmo's Fire is a 1985 American coming-of-age film directed by Joel Schumacher. The film, starring Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Mare Winningham, is a prominent movie of the Brat Pack genre, and revolves around a group of friends that have just graduated from Georgetown University and their adjustment to their post-university lives and the responsibilities of encroaching adulthood.
- also known as Saint Elmo's Fire
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, American English
- producer: Lauren Shuler Donner
- executive producers: Ned Tanen & Bernard Schwartz
- art direction by William Sandell
- written by Joel Schumacher & Carl Kurlander
- Emilio Estevez as Kirby Keger
- Rob Lowe as Billy Hicks
- Andrew McCarthy as Kevin Dolenz
- Demi Moore as Jules
- Judd Nelson as Alec Newbury
- Ally Sheedy as Leslie Hunter
- Mare Winningham as Wendy Beamish
- Andie MacDowell as Dale Bieberman
- Martin Balsam as Mr. Beamish
- Jenny Wright as Felicia
- Joyce Van Patten as Mrs. Beamish
- Matthew Laurance as Ron Dellasandro
- Gina Hecht as Judith
- Anna Maria Horsford as Naomi
- Patrick Winningham as 'The New Breed' Band member #1
- Andy Scott as 'The New Breed' Band member #2
- Christian Iraberen as 'The New Breed' Band member #3
- Daniel Iribarren as 'The New Breed' Band member #4
- James Carrington as Guy
- Blake Clark as Wally
- Jon Cutler as Howie Krantz
- Kaaren Lee as Welfare Woman
- Nora Meerbaum as Myra
- Don Moss as Maitre D'
- Whip Hubley as Felicia's Date
- Michele Winding as Chauffeur
- Jim Turner as Postgrad
- Mario Machado as Kim Sung Ho
- Judy Kain as Woman Banker
- Seth Jaffe as Brother in Law #1
- Jeffrey Lampert as Brother in Law #2
- Elizabeth Arlen as Libby
- Scott Nemes as Nephew
- Bernadette Birkett as Rachael
- Vincent J. Isaac as Cop
- Dean R. Miller as Clayton
- Jamie Anders as Tommy Bancroft
- Cindi Dietrich as Flirt
- David Lain Baker as Jules' Date
- Daniel Eden as Street Tough
- Laurel Page as Nurse
- Thom Bierdz as Rowdy Undergrad
- J.T. Solomon as Hysterical Woman
- Stephanie Feury as Jules' Friend
- Bennet Bowman as 'The New Breed' Band member #5
- casting by Marci Liroff & Jennifer Shull
- cinematography by Stephen H. Burum
- edited by Richard Marks
- music by David Foster
- costume design by Susan Becker
- set decoration by Robert Gould & Charles Graffeo
- locations: Washington, D.C.
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- The heat this summer is at Saint Elmo's Fire.
- The passion runs deep.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (28 years ago)
- "St. Elmo's Fire": "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" is a song recorded by John Parr. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on 7 September 1985 and peaked at number six in the UK, Parr's home country.
- "St. Elmo's Fire" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Brian Eno
St. Elmo's fire: St. Elmo's fire is a weather phenomenon in which luminous plasma is created by a coronal discharge from a sharp or pointed object in an strong electric field in the atmosphere.
- also known as Saint Elmo's fire
Various documents about St. Elmo's fire
Click on a title to view that document, then you can search inside it:
Dictionary of religious terms and symbols - 719 pages
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for St. Elmo's fire
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about St. Elmo's fire
Click on an item to view that photo:
- St. Elmo's Fire II
Another shot of this cutie
Photo credit: Llima
- Joseph & Rose Kennedy / Film: "St. Elmo's Fire"
Rented residence of:
Joseph and Rose Kennedy
Located: 3053 P Street NW
---Joe and Rose Kennedy rented this Victorian home during the inaugural festivities for their son, John F. Kennedy.
---Built in 1876 by the the wealthy lumber merchant John Libby, it used to look like the typical Victorian town home with a front porch, pillars and a bay window. The new look of this home dates from 1928.
---1984, a scene from the movie, "St. Elmo's Fire" was shot here
---1989, the house was purchased for $2 million dollars by a partner in a Washington law firm. The ads for the house advertised it had nine (9) bedrooms, a music room, and a paneled library.
Photo credit: dbking
- Modern-Day St. Elmo's Fire
Photo credit: SanFranAnnie
Quotes about St. Elmo's fire
'St. Elmo's Fire' is one of my favorite films. I like the storytelling of those teenage American films. You don't get that now. Teenage American movies are all about sick jokes, puking a lot, arse jokes. (James McAvoy)
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of St. Elmo's fire to find many related words and phrases!