St. Elmo's fire
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun st. elmo's fire
What does st. elmo's fire mean as a name of something?
- an electrical discharge accompanied by ionization of surrounding atmosphere
- lexical domain: Natural Phenomena - nouns denoting natural phenomena
- synonyms of St. Elmo's fire: corona / corona discharge / corposant / electric glow / Saint Elmo's fire / Saint Elmo's light / Saint Ulmo's fire / Saint Ulmo's light
- more generic terms: arc / discharge / electric arc / electric discharge / spark = electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field
"St. Elmo's Fire": St. Elmo's Fire is a 1985 American coming-of-age film directed by Joel Schumacher. The film, starring Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, and Mare Winningham, centers on a group of friends that have just graduated from Georgetown University and their adjustment to their post-university lives and the responsibilities of encroaching adulthood. The film is a prominent movie of the Brat Pack genre.
- also known as Saint Elmo's Fire
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, American English
- producer: Lauren Shuler Donner
- executive producers: Ned Tanen & Bernard Schwartz
- art direction by William Sandell
- written by Joel Schumacher & Carl Kurlander
- Emilio Estevez as Kirby Keger
- Rob Lowe as Billy Hicks
- Andrew McCarthy as Kevin Dolenz
- Demi Moore as Jules
- Judd Nelson as Alec Newbury
- Ally Sheedy as Leslie Hunter
- Mare Winningham as Wendy Beamish
- Andie MacDowell as Dale Bieberman
- Martin Balsam as Mr. Beamish
- Jenny Wright as Felicia
- Joyce Van Patten as Mrs. Beamish
- Matthew Laurance as Ron Dellasandro
- Gina Hecht as Judith
- Anna Maria Horsford as Naomi
- Patrick Winningham as 'The New Breed' Band member #1
- Andy Scott as 'The New Breed' Band member #2
- Christian Iraberen as 'The New Breed' Band member #3
- Daniel Iribarren as 'The New Breed' Band member #4
- James Carrington as Guy
- Blake Clark as Wally
- Jon Cutler as Howie Krantz
- Kaaren Lee as Welfare Woman
- Nora Meerbaum as Myra
- Don Moss as Maitre D'
- Whip Hubley as Felicia's Date
- Michele Winding as Chauffeur
- Jim Turner as Postgrad
- Mario Machado as Kim Sung Ho
- Judy Kain as Woman Banker
- Seth Jaffe as Brother in Law #1
- Jeffrey Lampert as Brother in Law #2
- Elizabeth Arlen as Libby
- Scott Nemes as Nephew
- Bernadette Birkett as Rachael
- Vincent J. Isaac as Cop
- Dean R. Miller as Clayton
- Jamie Anders as Tommy Bancroft
- Cindi Dietrich as Flirt
- David Lain Baker as Jules' Date
- Daniel Eden as Street Tough
- Laurel Page as Nurse
- Thom Bierdz as Rowdy Undergrad
- J.T. Solomon as Hysterical Woman
- Stephanie Feury as Jules' Friend
- Bennet Bowman as 'The New Breed' Band member #5
- casting by Marci Liroff & Jennifer Shull
- cinematography by Stephen H. Burum
- edited by Richard Marks
- music by David Foster
- costume design by Susan Becker
- set decoration by Robert Gould & Charles Graffeo
- locations: Washington, D.C.
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- The passion runs deep.
- The heat this summer is at Saint Elmo's Fire.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (29 years ago)
- "St. Elmo's Fire": "St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)" is a song recorded by John Parr. It hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on September 7, 1985, remaining there for two weeks. It was the main theme for Joel Schumacher's 1985 film St. Elmo's Fire.
- "St. Elmo's Fire" a.k.a. "St Elmo's Fire" is a musical single of John Parr.
- released in (30 years ago)
- "St. Elmo's Fire" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Brian Eno
- "St. Elmo's Fire": "St. Elmo's Fire" is the third song on Brian Eno's 1975 album, Another Green World. The song is one of only four songs on the album that follow traditional song structure and are not pure ambient tracks. "St. Elmo's Fire" is keyed in C major and is upbeat. Joyful pianos and synths accompany clicking percussion and Eno's exuberant vocals. Guitarist Robert Fripp (of King Crimson fame), a longtime friend and collaborator of Eno's, contributes a guitar solo to the song. Legato, speedy and distorted, the solo stands at counterpoint with the piano lines. This particular solo is often considered to be one of Fripp's best.
- also known as Saint Elmo's Fire
St. Elmo's fire: St. Elmo's fire is a weather phenomenon in which luminous plasma is created by a coronal discharge from a sharp or pointed object in a strong electric field in the atmosphere.
- also known as Saint Elmo's fire
Various documents about St. Elmo's fire
Click on a title to view that document, then you can search inside it:
Dictionary of religious terms and symbols - 719 pages
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for St. Elmo's fire
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about St. Elmo's fire
Click on an item to view that photo:
- St. Elmo's Fire II
Another shot of this cutie
Photo credit: Llima
- Joseph & Rose Kennedy / Film: "St. Elmo's Fire"
Rented residence of:
Joseph and Rose Kennedy
Located: 3053 P Street NW
---Joe and Rose Kennedy rented this Victorian home during the inaugural festivities for their son, John F. Kennedy.
---Built in 1876 by the the wealthy lumber merchant John Libby, it used to look like the typical Victorian town home with a front porch, pillars and a bay window. The new look of this home dates from 1928.
---1984, a scene from the movie, "St. Elmo's Fire" was shot here
---1989, the house was purchased for $2 million dollars by a partner in a Washington law firm. The ads for the house advertised it had nine (9) bedrooms, a music room, and a paneled library.
Photo credit: dbking
- Modern-Day St. Elmo's Fire
Photo credit: SanFranAnnie
Quotes about St. Elmo's fire
'St. Elmo's Fire' is one of my favorite films. I like the storytelling of those teenage American films. You don't get that now. Teenage American movies are all about sick jokes, puking a lot, arse jokes. (James McAvoy)
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of St. Elmo's fire to find many related words and phrases!