The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun stays:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun stays
What does stays mean as a name of something?
- a woman's close-fitting foundation garment
- examples: This meat stays good in cold weather. | He that stays in the valley shall never get over the hill. | Mike always stays cool. | This is the temple where he stays. | Kate stays in Izu over the weekend. | That woman stays young. | That commercial makes a strong impression - especially the music. It stays in your head. | The bank stays open from eight until two. | I hope the weather stays this way. | I don't care whether he leaves or stays.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of stays: corset / girdle
- more generic terms: foundation / foundation garment = a woman's undergarment worn to give shape to the contours of the body
- more specific term: panty girdle = a woman's undergarment that combines a girdle and panties
Alternative definition of the noun stays
- [plurale tantum] A corset.
Stays are ropes, wires, or rods on sailing vessels that run fore-and-aft along the centerline from the masts to the hull, deck, bowsprit, or to other masts which serve to stabilize the masts. On a ship with a single mast, stays that run aft are called backstays and stays that run forward are called forestays. Along with shrouds, they form the primary stabilization for the standing rigging.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Stays
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bernard J. Healey, Tina Marie Evans
The reduction in the utilization of expensive testing and medical procedures along with long hospital stays is an obvious advantage to the plan but may also protect the patient from unnecessary medical testing and procedures along with ...
Blue Labour (2015)
Forging a New Politics by Ian Geary, Adrian Pabst
The extra time, cost and bureaucracy required to get people into the country for long or shortterm stays means that we will lose some individuals and economic and cultural activities that we could have benefited from. This is a price that people ...
by Christopher A. Ganz
Contrary to the original target, it does not have any children but is a multi-object node which contains the results of all but the first execution of its parent (which stays is the original node). This node may then be used like any other node in the ...
stays in Las Vegas (etc.). 2002 Las Vegas Review-Journal 25 Nov.: “The Las Vegas Visitors and Convention Authority, meanwhile, continued its saucy come- to-Vegas-baby advertising campaign with six new spots filmed over a three-day ...
A Dictionary of Sea Terms (1898)
For the Use of Yachtsmen, Amateur Boatmen, and Beginners by A. Ansted
which they run, as the top-mast-stay supporting the topmast; the backstays, running backward, etc. The stays of a cutter yacht are described under the heading RIGGING.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Stays
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Stays
Click on an item to view that photo:
Unfinished stays for clockwork droid costume. Didn't have a corset busk. The hooks and eyes seem to work just fine.
Photo credit: rsuehle
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Stays
Click on an item to play that video:
- SC stays Kejriwal govt's circular against media, seeks explanation
- Khmer Language Stays Alive in Long Beach
Long Beach, California is home to the largest Cambodian community in the country, but the second generation is still struggling to keep their native language ...
- ESL - Travel - Luxury Beach Stays In The Maldives
See also the pronunciation examples of Stays!
Quotes about Stays
He who stays near vermilion gets stained red; he who stays near ink gets stained black.
more quotes about stays...
Scrabble value of S1T1A1Y4S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of STAYS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Stays!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Stays to see it in context!