On this page:
- Definition of the adjective submissive
- Definition of the noun submissive
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Submissive
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Submissive
- Photos about Submissive
- Video language resources about Submissive
- Quotes about Submissive
- Scrabble value of S1U1B3M3I1S1S1I1V4E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective submissive
What does submissive mean as an attribute of a noun?
- inclined or willing to submit to orders or wishes of others or showing such inclination
- examples: submissive servants | a submissive reply | replacing troublemakers with more submissive people
- antonym: domineering
- similar: abject; bowed / bowing; meek / spiritless; cringing / groveling / grovelling / wormlike / wormy; dominated / henpecked
- see also: unassertive; obedient; humble; subordinate
- abjectly submissive; characteristic of a slave or servant
Alternative definition of the adjective submissive
Definition of the adjective submissive for high school students
- easily yielding to authority
- example: In some cultures, wives are supposed to be submissive and support their husbands in all matters.
The adjective submissive is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
Definition of the noun submissive
What does submissive mean as a name of something?
- one who submits
- Submissive a.k.a. Deference is the condition of submitting to the espoused, legitimate influence of one's superior or superiors. Deference implies a yielding or submitting to the judgment of a recognized superior out of respect or reverence. Deference has been studied extensively by political scientists, sociologists, and psychologists.
- read more about Deference
- Submissive a.k.a. Bottom: In BDSM relationships, the bottom or submissive takes the passive, receiving, or obedient role. The other partner is the top or dominant.
- read more about Bottom
- Submissive is a breed temperament.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Submissive
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Marriage Is a Mystery Door (2010)
Marriage Is a Mystery by Finese
However, being submissive means giving each other respect, and learn to give space and learn nonverbal communication ...
by Michelle Fegatofi
Being submissive means you feel a need inside yourself to give up control to someone, whether sexually or more, but you feel it. If you have no desire to submit and just want to be made to submit, that is more of a masochist pretending to be a ...
by Amy Wenzel
a friendly submissive ...
by William Carpenter
Dutiful — obedient, submissive, respectful. Duty — business, office ; obedience, respect, obligation. Dwelling — abode, residence, domicile, habitation. To Dwell — abide, stay, rest, sojourn ; reside, inhabit. E. Eager — hot, ardent, vehement, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Submissive
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Submissive
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: SamieLove
Photo credit: davidburn
Photo credit: robstephaustralia
"sixbeaststwomonkeys" by Peter Shelton
Photo credit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credit: dontcallmeikke
Every time Rush would start rough-housing with Jimmy Dean, JD would lay down. If Rush kept it up JD would charge right at him showing teeth and making ugly noises. That usually got Rush pulled back by Leland.
Photo credit: Tobyotter
- Wives Be Submissive to Your Husbands
Sussex Baptist Church. Independent, Fundamental.
Photo credit: taberandrew
- Passive submissive
Photo credit: wesleynitsckie
- Two Submissive Puppies Meet
Photo credit: reader of the pack
- Magpie in Submissive Position
Lake Wendouree. Ballarat.
Photo credit: blachswan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Submissive
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Submissive!
Quotes about Submissive
Scrabble value of S1U1B3M3I1S1S1I1V4E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Submissive to see it in context!