On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun sun yat-sen
What does sun yat-sen mean as a name of something?
- Chinese statesman who organized the Kuomintang and led the revolution that overthrew the Manchu dynasty in 1911 and 1912 (1866-1925)
Who is Sun Yat-sen?
Sun Yat-sen was a Chinese revolutionary, first president and founding father of the Republic of China, and medical practitioner. As the foremost pioneer of Republic of China, Sun is referred to as the "Father of the Nation" in the Republic of China, and the "forerunner of democratic revolution" in the People's Republic of China. Sun played an instrumental role in the overthrow of the Qing dynasty during the years leading up to the Double Ten Revolution. He was appointed to serve as Provisional President of the Republic of China, when it was founded in 1912. He later co-founded the Kuomintang, serving as its first leader. Sun was a uniting figure in post-Imperial China, and remains unique among 20th-century Chinese politicians for being widely revered amongst the people from both sides of the Taiwan Strait.
- also known as Dr. Sun Yat-sen, Yat-sen Sun
- born on (149 years ago) in Zhongshan, child of Sun Dacheng and Lady Yang
- nationality: United States of America, Empire of the Great Qing, China
- religion: Christianity, Congregational church, Protestantism
- profession: Warlord, politician, philosopher, physician, writer, generalissimo
- parent of
- died on (90 years ago) in Beijing of liver tumour
- buried in Sun Yat-sen Mausoleum
- written works: "The cult of Dr. Sun", "Fundamentals of national reconstruction", "China and Japan: natural friends--unnatural enemies", "Guo fu quan ji", "Memoirs of a Chinese revolutionary", "Za zhu", "Souvenirs d'un révolutionnaire chinois", "Sun Chung-shan tzǔ yu min chu yen lun hui pein", "Guo fu mo bao", "Los tres principios del pueblo =", "The triple demism of Sun Yat-sen", "Yan jiang", "Zong li yi mo", "Prescriptions for saving China", "Guo fu mo ji", "Shi ye ji hua", "Izbrannyi proizvedenii͡a︡", "Le triple démisme de Suen Wen", "Zhongshan cong shu", "Teachings of Sun Yat-Sen", "Jian guo fang lue", "Min zu zhu yi", "Xuan yan", "Han zha", "Sun Wen xue shuo", "Kuo fu chʻüan chi", "Kidnapped in London", "Min sheng zhu yi", "Arad-un ġurban jorilta-yin tobciy-a", "The vital problem of China", "Sun Zhongshan quan ji", "The international development of China", "Program for the reconstruction of China", "10 letters of Sun Yat-sen, 1914-1916", "Sombun zenshu", "San min zhu yi (Zhong E wen dui zhao) =", "Principle of livelihood", "Tan hua", "Tsung-li, ch'üan chi", "Wen dian"
- Sun Yat-Sen is a fictional representation of Chinese revolutionary, first president and founding father of the Republic of China Sun Yat-sen.
- Sun Yat-Sen is a fictional character from the 2009 action drama historical film Bodyguards and Assassins.
- "Sun Yat-sen" is a book by Jian Youwen.
- also known as "Sun Yat-sen, two commemorative essays"
- "Sun Yat-sen" is a book by Marie-Claire Bergère.
- "Sun Yat-sen" is a book by Sergeĭ Leonidovich Tikhvinskiĭ.
- also known as "Sun Yat-sen: on the occasion of the centenary of his birth (1866-1966)"
- "Sun Yat-sen" is a book by Robert Bruce.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Sun Yat-sen
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by G. Gillis, D. Newsham, A.J. Maeder
Sun Yat-sen is the largest of the four in terms of the number of beds and is ranked 44th overall among Chinese hospitals . China-Japan is also a large hospital and ranked 81st nationally, but unlike the other three hospitals that are affiliated ...
by Robert Benewick, Philip Green
As a democratic revolutionary and political thinker Sun Yat-sen played a crucial historical role in the progress of Chinese society. Being the leader of the revolutionary party, Tong Meng Hui (United League), Sun led the revolution of 191 1 ...
by James Ciment
Under Sun Yat-sen, the Guomindang's ideology was a mix of leftism, authoritarianism, and Chinese nationalism. Its leftism led many Guomindang members to be friendly to the overtures of the ...
by James Ciment, Kenneth Hill
The Nationalists and Chiang Kai-shek The Nationalist Party was the brainchild of Sun Yat-sen, a long-time Chinese revolutionary who is considered by many Chinese to be the father of the 1911 revolution. With the fall of the Qing dynasty, Sun ...
An Encyclopedia by Louis G. Perez
Sun Yat-sen (I866-I925) and the japanese Sun Yat-sen, known as Son Bun (Ch. Sun Wen) in Japan and as Sun Zhongshan or “father of the Republic” (guofu) in China, is the best-known Chinese historical ...
by The Staff of Congressional Quarterly
and in 1919 established the Chinese Nationalist Party or Kuomintang Sun Yat-sen (KMT). Failing to obtain financial support from the Western powers, Sun turned to Soviet Russia, which ...
by Ken Ludden
After President Yuan Shikai assumed dictatorial powers in 1913 by dissolving the National Assembly and outlawing the KMT, Sun Yat-sen established a government-in-exile in Tokyo and employed the modern flag as the national ROC flag.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Sun Yat-sen
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Sun Yat-sen
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Sun Yat-Sen detail
Photo credit: H.L.I.T.
- Sun Yat-sen Garden
Photo credit: jmv
- Paying homage to the President Sun Yat-Sen
President Sun Yat-Sen Mausoleum in Nanjing, China.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial
Photo credit: Prince Roy
- Edificio Conmemorativo de Sun Yat-sen
Edificio Conmemorativo de Sun Yat-sen
Puedes ver la entrada completa en...
Photo credit: Antonio Tajuelo
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Anagrams of SUN YAT-SEN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Sun Yat-sen!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Sun Yat-sen to see it in context!