Tar Heel State
On this page:
Definition of the noun tar heel state
What does tar heel state mean as a name of something?
- a state in southeastern United States; one of the original 13 colonies
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Tar Heel State: N.C. / NC / North Carolina / Old North State
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean; South = the region of the United States lying to the south of the Mason-Dixon line; Carolina / Carolinas = the area of the states of North Carolina and South Carolina
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park = a national park in Tennessee and North Carolina that includes the highest mountain in the eastern United States
- Cape Fear = a cape in southeastern North Carolina extending into the Atlantic Ocean
- Cape Hatteras = a promontory on Hatteras Island off the Atlantic coast of North Carolina
- Hatteras Island = a barrier island running parallel to the North Carolina shore
- capital of North Carolina / Raleigh = capital of the state of North Carolina
- Asheville = a town in western North Carolina in the Blue Ridge Mountains to the west of Charlotte
- Chapel Hill = a town in central North Carolina
- Queen City / Charlotte = the largest city in North Carolina
- Durham = a city of north central North Carolina
- Fayetteville = a town in south central North Carolina
- Goldsboro = a town that is a major tobacco center in eastern North Carolina
- Greensboro = a city of north central North Carolina
- Greenville = a city in eastern North Carolina
- Wilmington = a town in southeastern North Carolina on the Cape Fear River
- Winston-Salem = a city of north central North Carolina
- Blue Ridge Mountains / Blue Ridge = a range of the Appalachians extending from southern Pennsylvania to northern Georgia
- Cape Fear River = a river in North Carolina that flows southeast to the Atlantic Ocean at Cape Fear
- Pee Dee River / Pee Dee = a river that flows through central North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina to the Atlantic Ocean
- member of: Confederacy / Confederate States / Confederate States of America / Dixie / Dixieland / South = the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
Tar Heel State a.k.a. North Carolina is a state in the Southeastern United States. The state borders South Carolina and Georgia to the south, Tennessee to the west, Virginia to the north, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. North Carolina is the 28th most extensive and the 10th most populous of the 50 United States. North Carolina is known as the Tar Heel State and the Old North State.
- read more about North Carolina (state)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tar Heel State
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Book & CD-ROM Set by Angus Stevenson, Maurice Waite
Albany Empire State North Carolina NC Raleigh Tar Heel State, Old North State North Dakota ND Bismarck Peace Garden State Ohio OH Columbus Buckeye State Oklahoma OK Oklahoma City Sooner State Oregon OR Salem Beaver State ...
by Oxford Dictionaries,, Maurice Waite
Battleborn State, Silver State New Hampshire NH Concord Granite State New Jersey NJ Trenton Garden State New Mexico NM Sante Fe Land of Enchantment New York NY Albany Empire State North Carolina NC Raleigh Tar Heel State, ...
A State-by-State Historical Encyclopedia by Alton Hornsby Jr.
The Tar Heel State: A History of North ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
12th Raleigh Tar Heel State, To Be Rather (NC) (136,413) Old North Than ...
From the Colonial Period to the Age of Frederick Douglass Three-volume Set by Paul Finkelman
In the colonial period North Carolina's slaves had produced vast amounts of naval products, particularly turpentine, pitch, and tar, and in the process helped give North Carolina its nickname, the “Tar Heel State.” The economy shifted to ...
Tar Heel State (North Carolina) 13 Big Sky Country ...
North Cape is a precipitous rocky headland, rising 968 feet llljOVG th© 86ft NOBTH CABOLINA (popularly called the Old North State, also the Tar Heel State) . A South Atlantic State of the United States. It lies between lat. 33° 5W and 36° ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tar Heel State
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Tar Heel State
Tar Heel State Meaning
Video shows what Tar Heel State means. North Carolina.. Tar Heel State Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Tar Heel State.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tar Heel State to see it in context!