Tart appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- A tart’s for a baton, not a bar of strata.
- Walt, some tart surfing is a sign I frustrate most law.
- Put a strata sari on to nip a pinot noir as a tart sat up.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun tart:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tart
- Definition of the adjective tart
- Definition of the verb tart
- Phrases with Tart
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tart
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tart
- Photos about Tart
- Video language resources about Tart
- Quotes about Tart
- Scrabble value of T1A1R1T1
- Anagrams of TART
- Share this page
Tart is sometimes a misspelling of dart.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tart
What does tart mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tarts
- a woman who engages in sexual intercourse for money
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of tart: bawd / cocotte / cyprian / fancy woman / harlot / lady of pleasure / prostitute / sporting lady / whore / woman of the street / working girl
- more generic terms: adult female / woman = an adult female person
- more specific terms:
- call girl = a female prostitute who can be hired by telephone
- camp follower = a prostitute who provides service to military personnel
- comfort woman / ianfu = a woman forced into prostitution for Japanese servicemen during World War II
- demimondaine = a female prostitute
- streetwalker / street girl / slattern / floozie / hustler / floozy / hooker = a prostitute who attracts customers by walking the streets
- white slave = a woman sold into prostitution
- a small open pie with a fruit filling
- region: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- more generic word: pie = dish baked in pastry-lined pan often with a pastry top
- more specific terms:
- a pastry cup with a filling of fruit or custard and no top crust
- region: Britain / Great Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- more generic word: pastry = any of various baked foods made of dough or batter
- more specific term: apple tart = a tart filled with sliced apples and sugar
Alternative definition of the noun tart
- A type of small open pie, or piece of pastry, containing jelly or conserve; a sort of fruit pie.
- [British] [slang] A prostitute.
- [British] [slang, derogatory] By extension, any woman with loose sexual morals.
Definition of the adjective tart
What does tart mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: tarter | tartest
- tasting sour like a lemon
Alternative definition of the adjective tart
- Sharp to the taste; acid; sour.
- synonym: green
- Of wine: high or too high in acidity.
- [figuratively] Sharp; keen; severe.
Definition of the verb tart
What does tart mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tarted | tarting | tarts
- To practice prostitution
- To practice promiscuous sex
- To dress garishly or ostentatiously
Tart: A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a pastry base with an open top not covered with pastry. The pastry is usually shortcrust pastry; the filling may be sweet or savoury, though modern tarts are usually fruit-based, sometimes with custard. Tartlet refers to a miniature tart; an example would be egg tarts. Examples of tarts include jam tarts, which may be different colours depending on the flavour of the jam used to fill them, and the Bakewell tart.
- also known as كعكة, Francia gyümölcslepény, Tarte, Torta, Tarts, 撻
There are other foods with Tart in their name, like Gypsy tart, Lemon tart, Butter tart, Norman Tart, Custard tart, Neenish tart, Treacle tart, Chocolate tart, Pineapple tart, Tart 'n' Tinys, Manchester tart.
"Tart" is a 2001 coming of age film starring Dominique Swain, Bijou Phillips, and Brad Renfro.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Christina Wayne
- Mischa Barton as Grace Bailey
- Dominique Swain as Cat Storm
- Alberta Watson as Lily Storm
- Bijou Phillips as Delilah Milford
- Myles Jeffrey as Pete Storm
- Scott Thompson as Kenny
- Brad Renfro as William Sellers
- Nora Zehetner as Peg
- Melanie Griffith as Diane Milford
- Michael Murphy as Mike Storm
- Lacey Chabert as Eloise Logan
- Jacob Pitts as Toby Logan
- Chelse Swain as Heather von Strum
- Shawn Lawrence as Fred the Doorman
- Peter Snider as Richard Logan
- Sherry Miller as Jane Logan
- Marcia Bennett as Ms. Major
- Mairon Bennett as Jill
- Liz Gordon as Miss Myles
- Tannis Burnett as Ms. Hooker
- Miranda Reeves as Saleslady
- Anne Wessels as Sara Bailey
- Keleigh Ardell as Mrs. Smoulder
- Howard Jerome as Punchy
- Bill Lake as Mr. Sellers
- Nora McLellan as Mrs. Sellers
- Pascal Petardi as New Doorman
- Patrick Patterson as Father McBride
- David MacKay as Rudolph
- Andrew Dolha as News Reporter
- J.C. Kenny as Reporter
- Conrad Bergschneider as Security Guard
- Damon Redfern as Grace's Dad
- costume design by Gersha Phillips
- location: New York City
- genres: Indie film, Romance Film, Coming of age, Crime Fiction, Teen film, Melodrama, Drama
- tagline: Sex, Drugs and Study Hall.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (13 years ago)
"Tart" is a musical album of Lovebugs.
- released in (20 years ago)
- Tart: Taruto is a fictional character from the Japanese manga and anime series Tokyo Mew Mew.
- also known as Cyniclons Tarb, Taruto, Tarb
- Tart is a fictional character from the 1995 Japanese anime series Juuni Senshi Bakuretsu Eto Ranger.
- also known as Taruto, Chickee
- Tart is a fictional character from the 2013 film Gingerdead Man Vs. Evil Bong.
- Tart is a fictional character from the 1980 film The Elephant Man.
Tart is a consumer product.
Phrases with Tart
Phrases starting with the word Tart:
Phrases ending with the word Tart:
- Egg tart
- Jam Tart
- Pop Tart
- Card Tart
- Rate Tart
- apple tart
- Butter tart
- lobster tart
- Neenish tart
- Bakewell Tart
- Raspberry Tart
- Credit Card Tart
- Cherry Bakewell Tart
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tart
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The 1,001 Most Common Crossword Answers by Stanley Newman
TART THE ADJECTIVE "Tart" can mean sour or sharp in the edible sense (with clues like "Lemony" and "Vinegary"], or in the sense of speaking (with clues like " Barbed." "Cutting," and "Snippy"). THE NOUN As a noun, a tart is a small pie or ...
A Collection of Words and Phrases so You Could Say It Like We by Kareem-Nelson Hull
Quelbe Tart [kwelbey tahrt] Noun1. a pastry taking a half moon shape containing sweet fillings like coconut, pineapple and guava which are ...
Tart, tärt,adj. sharp orsourtothetaste: (fig.) sharp: severe.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
tart. pot. 46 tart. sod.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* TART. adj. . [teart, Saxon; taertig, Dutch..] 1.
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
Tartrate Fine needles 1-744 1- 0 Potash-tartrate Eight or ten-sided prisms As the last Efflorescent 54 tart. pot.
The Diner's Dictionary (2012)
Word Origins of Food and Drink by John Ayto
See also JAM TART. jambalaya A paella-like Cajun dish from Louisiana, US. It consists of rice cooked with a variety of other ingredients including shrimps, sausage, chicken, and ham, seasoned with chilli powder and cayenne. The word is ...
Arranged Like a Dictionary and Compiled Under the Direction of the Editor of Harper's Bazar
Quince Tart PIES, E.T.C. Rhubarb Tart pinch of grated lemon-peel. , Moisten the edges, cover the dish with pastry, and bake in a moderate oven. Sift a little powdered sugar over the pie before sending it to table. Time to bake, according to size.
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; or, universal dictionary of knowledge, on an original plan: comprising the twofold advantage of a philosophical and an alphabetical arrangement, with appropriate engravings (1845)
Edited by Edw. Smedley, Hugh Jam. Rose, and H. John Rose. (Text: voll. XXVI. Plates: voll. III. Index
TART. TATTLE. TAVER- N1ERA. may be Fischer's T. Fuscomanus. The animal is found in Amboina, Banea, and Madagascar, and is known to the Malays by the name Podje. It is very rare in Sumatra, and only in the deepest woods ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tart
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tart
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Stevesworldofphotos
Photo credit: foilman
- Tomato Basil Tart
Photo credit: rainydayknitter
- Asparagus tart
The 'un-domestic goddess' returns - Summer picnic food - trying to cool quickly on the patio...
Photo credit: Stepheye
- Rhubarb tart
Photo credit: lejoe
- Baby New Potato & Blue Cheese tart
Photo credit: Migle Seikyte
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tart
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tart Meaning
Video shows what tart means. Sharp to the taste; acid; sour.. high or too high in acidity.. Sharp; keen; severe.. tart synonyms: Wikisaurus:prostitute, ...
- Card tart Meaning
Video shows what card tart means. A rate tart.. Card tart Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say card tart. Powered by MaryTTS ...
- Tart Art meaning and pronunciation
Another term for tramp stamp or slag tag, meaning a tattoo on a woman's lower back. Tart Art definition by Urban Dictionary.
- Jam tart Meaning
Video shows what jam tart means. An open tartlet filled with jam. Heart. Jam tart Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say jam tart.
- "Sweet Tart" rainbow eyes! Tutorial AND complete product description at the end!
See also the pronunciation examples of Tart!
Quotes about Tart
Scrabble value of T1A1R1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 4 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of TART
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Tart!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Tart to see it in context!