The Gay Divorcee
On this page:
"The Gay Divorcee" is a 1934 American musical film directed by Mark Sandrich and starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. It also features Alice Brady, Edward Everett Horton, Eric Blore and Erik Rhodes, and was based on the Broadway musical Gay Divorce written by Dwight Taylor from an unproduced play by J. Hartley Manners, which was adapted into a musical by Kenneth S. Webb and Samuel Hoffenstein. The film's screenplay was written by George Marion Jr., Dorothy Yost and Edward Kaufman. Robert Benchley, H. W. Hanemann and Stanley Rauh made uncredited contributions to the dialogue.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Pandro S. Berman
- art direction by Carroll Clark & Van Nest Polglase
- based on a story by Dwight Taylor
- cinematography by David Abel
- edited by William Hamilton
- music by Max Steiner
- costume design by Walter Plunkett
- genres: Musical, Romance Film, Romantic comedy, Screwball comedy, Musical comedy, Comedy of Errors, Comedy
- Musical Triumph Of Two Continents
- Introducing the new dance sensation "The Continental"
- The King and Queen of 'Carioca'
- released on (81 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for RKO Pictures & Pandro S. Berman
- Academy Award for Best Production Design (came in 2nd) nomination for Van Nest Polglase & Carroll Clark
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score (Score by Kenneth Webb and Samuel Hoffenstein, RKO Radio Studio Music Department, came in 2nd) nomination for Max Steiner, Kenneth Webb, Samuel Hoffenstein
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing (came in 3rd, RKO Radio Studio Sound Department) nomination for Carl Dreher
- Satellite Award for Best Classic DVD
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for The Gay Divorcee
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William A. Everett, Paul R. Laird
” The 1934 film version starring Astaire and Ginger Rogers was retitled The Gay Divorcee since a divorce could ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for The Gay Divorcee
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of The Gay Divorcee for some fun with words!