The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
On this page:
"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" is a 1974 American slasher film, directed and produced by Tobe Hooper, who cowrote it with Kim Henkel. It stars Marilyn Burns, Paul A. Partain, Edwin Neal, Jim Siedow and Gunnar Hansen, who respectively portray Sally Hardesty, Franklin Hardesty, the hitchhiker, the proprietor, and Leatherface, the main antagonist. The film follows a group of friends who fall victim to a family of cannibals while on their way to visit an old homestead. Although it was marketed as a true story to attract a wider audience and as a subtle commentary on the era's political climate, its plot is entirely fictional; however, the character of Leatherface and minor plot details were inspired by the crimes of real-life murderer Ed Gein.
- also known as Massacre à la tronçonneuse, Leatherface, Headcheese, De kettingzaag, Motorsågsmassakern, Non aprite quella porta, O Massacre da Serra Elétrica, La matança de Texas, La matanza de Texas, Bloodright in Texas, Stalking Leatherface, Moottorisahamurhaaja, The Devil of Punishment, Das Kettensägenmassaker, O shizofrenis dolofonos me to prioni, Motorsavsmassakren, La masacre de Texas, Texasin moottorisahamurhat, Akuma no ikenie, El loco de la Motosierra, A texasi láncfűrészes mészárlás, Teksanska masakra pila mechaniczna, El Loco de la Motosierra: La Masacre de Texas, Masacre en Texas, Massacre à la scie, Una masacre sin igual, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Техасская резня бензопилой
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Tobe Hooper & Kim Henkel
- executive producer: Jay Parsley
- production design by Robert A. Burns
- art direction by Robert A. Burns
- written by Kim Henkel & Tobe Hooper
- based on a story by Tobe Hooper & Kim Henkel
- Marilyn Burns as Sally Hardesty
- Edwin Neal as Hitchhiker
- Gunnar Hansen as Leatherface
- Paul A. Partain as Franklin Hardesty
- Allen Danziger as Jerry
- Jim Siedow as Old Man
- Teri McMinn as Pam
- John Henry Faulk as Storyteller
- John Dugan as Grandfather
- William Vail as Kirk
- Robert Courtin as Window Washer
- Ed Guinn as Cattle Truck Driver
- Joe Bill Hogan as Drunk
- William Creamer as Bearded Man
- Jerry Green as Cowboy
- cinematography by Daniel Pearl
- edited by J. Larry Carroll & Sallye Richardson
- music by Tobe Hooper, Wayne Bell
- genres: Horror, Mystery, Thriller, Indie film
- subject: Serial killer
- Who will survive and what will be left of them?
- Once you stop screaming, then you'll start talking about it.
- For five young friends, a typical summer afternoon drive becomes a terrifying nightmare. [DVD]
- What happened is true. Now the motion picture that's just as real.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (41 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Themes, Works, and Wonders by Gary Westfahl
to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), and the horror about generational differences and sexuality that underpins them. Indeed, the ...
by Alan Burton, Steve Chibnall
March: Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (U .S.) is finally granted a theatrical release, gaining an “18” certificate for the uncut version. In the coming months, similarly long-unavailable titles, such as The Exorcist (US), are ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Photo credit: SUXSIEQ
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre to see it in context!