|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun thor
What does thor mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- (Norse mythology) god of thunder and rain and farming; pictured as wielding a hammer emblematic of the thunderbolt; identified with Teutonic Donar
Definition of the adverb thor
What does thor mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- [Geordie] there
- [Geordie] they're (they are)
Other definitions of thor
What does thor also mean?
- [Geordie] their
- Thor is a fictional character, a superhero that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name, is the Asgardian god of thunder and possesses the enchanted hammer Mjolnir, which grants him the ability of flight and weather manipulation amongst his other superhuman attributes.
- also known as Vị thần sấm, Thor Odinson, Thor (Marvel), Thor (Comic), Thor (fumetto), Thor (cómic), Thor (sarjakuvahahmo), Thor (banda desenhada), 索爾
- born in Asgard, child of Odin
- created by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby, Jack Kirby, Stan Lee & Larry Lieber
- fictional universe: Marvel Universe
- first appeared in Journey into Mystery #83
- in films:
- "Thor", played by Chris Hemsworth
- "Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow", played by Michael Adamthwaite
- "Hulk Vs", played by Matthew Wolf
- "Ultimate Avengers 2", played by Dave Boat
- "Thor: The Dark World", played by Chris Hemsworth
- "The Incredible Hulk Returns", played by Eric Allan Kramer
- "The Avengers", played by Chris Hemsworth
- "Thor: Tales of Asgard", played by Matthew Wolf
- "Thor", played by Dakota Goyo
- "The Avengers: Age of Ultron", played by Chris Hemsworth
- "Thor: Ragnarok", played by Chris Hemsworth
- Thor is a recurring character in Stargate SG-1. He is voiced by Michael Shanks. Thor is the Supreme Commander of the Asgard Fleet.
- Thor is a fictional character in the Comico comic book series Elementals. He was created by Bill Willingham and first appeared in Elementals #23.
- Thor is a fictional film character.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2006 anime TV series Jyu-Oh-Sei.
- Thor is the fictional representation of the Norse god.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2011 movie Violet Wister’s Damsels in Distress.
- Thor a.k.a. Dawson is a fictional character from the 1987 film Adventures in Babysitting.
- read more about Dawson
- Thor is a fictional character from 2010 comedy film Kaboom.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1978 film Starcrash.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1997 film Cyber Vengeance.
- Thor is a fictional charactere from the 1963 film Thor and the Amazon Women.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1967 film The Big Mouth.
- Thor is a fictional character from the film series Spirit Warriors.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1993 film Rage and Honor II: Hostile Takeover.
- Thor is a fictional film character.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1983 film Thor the Conqueror.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2011 film Max Embarrassing 2.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2014 film Kung Fury.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2000 film Release all the Horses.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1935 film The Black Room.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2009 film Thor at the Bus Stop.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2009 film Storm.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1965 film Goliath at the Conquest of Damascus.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1978 film Northern Lights.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 1964 film 633 Squadron.
- Thor is a fictional character from the 2014 film When Animals Dream.
"Thor" is a book by Garth Ennis.
- genres: Fantasy, Fiction, Speculative fiction
- subject: Comics
- copyright: 1992
"Thor" is a 2011 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures. It is the fourth installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The film was directed by Kenneth Branagh, written by Ashley Edward Miller, Zack Stentz and Don Payne, and stars Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgård, Colm Feore, Ray Stevenson, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins. The film tells the story of Thor, the crown prince of Asgard, who is exiled from his homeland to Earth. While there, he forms a relationship with Jane Foster, a scientist. However, Thor must stop his adopted brother Loki, who intends to become the new king of Asgard.
- also known as Thor, God of Thunder; The Mighty Thor; Thor 3D; Tor; Тор; Mighty Thor
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Kevin Feige
- executive producers: Stan Lee, Louis D'Esposito, David Maisel, Patricia Whitcher, Alan Fine
- production design by Bo Welch
- art direction by Kasra Farahani, Sean Haworth, Maya Shimoguchi, Luke Freeborn, Pierre Buffin & A. Todd Holland
- written by Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz, Don Payne
- based on "Thor" by Larry Lieber, Jack Kirby, Mark Protosevich, J. Michael Straczynski, Stan Lee
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor
- Natalie Portman as Jane Foster
- Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye
- Anthony Hopkins as Odin
- Ray Stevenson as Volstagg
- Kat Dennings as Darcy Lewis
- Stellan Skarsgård as Professor Erik Selvig
- Idris Elba as Heimdall
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki
- Rene Russo as Frigga
- Jaimie Alexander as Sif
- Colm Feore as Laufey
- Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson
- Tadanobu Asano as Hogun
- Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury
- Josh Dallas as Fandral
- Dakota Goyo as Thor
- Adriana Barraza as Isabel Alvarez
- Maximiliano Hernández as Jasper Sitwell
- Richard Cetrone as Frost Giant Captain
- Darren Kendrick as Frost Giant Sentry
- Joshua Cox as Frost Giant Hailstrum
- Jesse Smith, Jr. as Frost Giant Brute
- Adam Critchlow as Einherjar Guard #1
- Alexander Wright as Viking Elder
- Blake Silver as Techie
- Buddy Sosthand as Agent Delancey
- Carrie Lazar as Viking Mother
- Chris Antonini as Man in Bar
- Clay von Carlowitz as Asgardian Guard
- Dale Godboldo as Agent Garrett
- David Bantly as SHIELD Scientist
- Douglas Tait as Frost Giant #1
- Elizabeth Dean as Asgardian Demigoddess
- Eric Holloway as Townie #4
- Harley Graham as Viking Child
- Hilary Pingle as Viking #1
- Isaac Kappy as Pet Store Clerk
- J. Michael Straczynski as Townie #1
- James Kimball as Einherjar Guard #2
- Jamie McShane as Agent Jackson
- Jason Camp as Einherjar Guard #3
- Jasyn Jefferies as Einherjar Guard #4
- Jim Palmer as SHIELD Guard #1
- Joel McCrary as Drunk Townie
- John Bailey as SHIELD Guard #2
- Joseph Gatt as Frost Giant Grundroth
- Juliet Lopez as Admission Nurse
- Keith Middlebrook as Agent McGuire
- Kelly Hawthorne as Viking #2
- casting by Randi Hiller & Sarah Finn
- cinematography by Haris Zambarloukos
- edited by Paul Rubell
- music by Patrick Doyle
- costume design by Alexandra Byrne
- set decoration by Lauri Gaffin
- locations: Los Angeles, Del Mar, Galisteo
- genres: Action Film, Adventure Film, Fantasy, Science Fiction
- Two Worlds. One hero.
- Courage is immortal
- The God of Thunder
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on
- some of the awards:
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout Star - Male nomination for Chris Hemsworth
- official website: thor.marvel.com
- "Thor" is the soundtrack to the Marvel Studios film of the same name, based on the character created by Marvel Comics. The music was composed by Patrick Doyle, and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra. Buena Vista Records announced the details for the soundtrack in March 2011. It was released in some European territories at the end of April and was released on May 3 in the United States.
- genre: Film score
- released on
- "Thor" is the 8th studio album by Wizard, released January 31, 2009, by Massacre Records. It is a concept album about Norse mythology and the god of thunder, Thor. It was the first Wizard album with two guitar players.
- "Thor" is a musical EP of Dragonscale.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Thor" (1994) is the first album by Hazael.
- genre: Death metal
- released in (21 years ago)
- Thor: Ettore Dulay, better known by his stage name Thor, is a Filipino singer, performer & songwriter.
- Thor a.k.a. Thor Salden from Schoten was the winning contestant in the Belgian pre-selections of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2006 and he represented Belgium in the international final on 2 December 2006 in Bucharest, Romania where he reached seventh place in a field of fifteen. At the time of the preselections he was the youngest contestant at eight years old. He won both the first semi-final on 17 September 2006 and the final on 1 October 2006. In the opening show he performed together with Attic and Clouseau.
- Thor a.k.a. Pita Ahki is a Rugby union footballer who plays as a midfielder for North Harbour in New Zealand's ITM Cup. He made his provincial debut in 2011 and ahead of the 2013 season he has made 13 appearances and scored 1 try. His impressive ITM Cup performances have seen him named in the Blues Wider Training Squad for the 2013 Super Rugby season.
- read more about Pita Ahki
- Thor a.k.a. Ricky Thorby is a rugby league player for the North Queensland Cowboys in the National Rugby League. He previously played for the St. George Illawarra Dragons. His positions of choice are in the second-row or at Prop.
- read more about Ricky Thorby
- Thor is a heavy metal band from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- genres: Hard rock, Heavy metal, Power metal
- albums: "Only the Strong", "Thor Against the World", "Unchained", "Keep the Dogs Away", "Recruits – Wild in the Streets", "Live in Detroit", "Devastation of Musculation", "Rock 'N' Roll Nightmare", "Let the Blood Run Red", "Thunder on the Tundra"
- official website: www.thorcentral.com
- Thor is a musical group.
Thor is a dog actor.
- read more about Thor (film actor)
Thor is a city in Humboldt County, Iowa, United States. The population was 186 at the 2010 census.
- also known as Thor, Iowa; Humboldt County / Thor city
- part of Humboldt County, Iowa, United States of America
- Thor is a family of satellites designed, launched and tested by Hughes Space and Communications for British Satellite Broadcasting, and were used for Britain's Direct Broadcast Service. Thor is owned by Telenor. Marcopolo 1 launched on 27 August 1989 on the 187th launch of a Delta rocket, and Marcopolo 2 launched on 17 August 1990, on a Delta II rocket. Marcopolo I had the Hughes designation HS376.
- Thor was an American space launch vehicle derived from the PGM-17 Thor intermediate-range ballistic missile. The Thor rocket was the first in a large family of space launch vehicles that came to be known as Delta. A derivative of the Thor was still in service as of 2014, as the first stage of the Delta II.
- also known as 托爾系列運載火箭
- Thor is an active volcano on Jupiter's moon Io. It is located on Io's anti-Jupiter hemisphere at 39°09′N 133°08′W / 39.15°N 133.14°W. A major eruption with high thermal emission and a large, volcanic plume was observed during a Galileo flyby on August 6, 2001, when the spacecraft flew through the outer portions of the plume allowing for direct sampling. The eruption continued into Galileo's next flyby in October 2001. As seen during high-resolution images taken during the eruption, Thor consists of a series of dark lava flows emanating from a set of nearby volcanic depressions. Before the eruption, the area consisted of red-brown plains, composed of irradiated sulfur, typical of Io's mid- to high-northern latitudes and a set of yellow flows, possibly consisting of sulfur or silicate flows covered by diffuse sulfur deposits. During the New Horizons encounter in February 2007, Thor was still active, with the spacecraft observing thermal emission in the near-infrared and a volcanic plume at the volcano.
- THOR: Tactical Hybrid Order Router is an electronic trading platform that manages securities orders in order to dodge certain tactics used in high frequency trading. The program was created by Allen Zhang while working for the Royal Bank of Canada in a team led by Brad Katsuyama.
- developer: Allen Zhang
- genre: Electronic trading platform
- Thor is an outdoor 1977 copper and redwood sculpture by American artist Melvin Schuler, located on the Transit Mall of downtown Portland, Oregon.
- Thor a.k.a. Tor is a protein.
- read more about Tor
- Thor is a film series.
Phrases with Thor
Phrases starting with the word Thor:
- Thor dobkini
- Thor's Beard
- Thor Algicola
- Thor Cordelli
- thor hyerdahl
- Thor manningi
- Thor Spinipes
- Thor spinosus
- Thor's Hammer
- Thor Cocoensis
- Thor Marguitae
- Thor paschalis
- Thor floridanus
- Thor amboinensis
Phrases ending with the word Thor:
View more phrases with the word Thor in thesaurus!
Printed books with definitions for Thor
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Myths of the Pagan North (2011)
The Gods of the Norsemen by Christopher Abram
Thor is the god most frequently represented in Viking-Age iconographic artefacts. Several seated figurines with prominent beards, resembling the Eyrarland image from Iceland (as discussed in Chapter 1), have been found across the Viking ...
A Guide to Identification by Gary Poore
Thor Kingsley, 1878 Thor is a tropical genus of five species inhabiting coral reefs (Holthuis, 1947). Diagnosis. Rostrum short, toothed. Supraorbital spine present or absent. Mandible without palp, with incisor process. Pereopods without ...
The Golden Horns (2008)
Mythic Imagination and the Nordic Past by John L. Greenway
Thor is the savior figure. In the "Skaldarmal" commentary, Norse mythology is interpreted as religion (which to Atterbom meant philosophy), less pure than Christianity but anticipating it. In the commentary, Atterbom does not think out the nature ...
The Runes: A Human Journey (2007)
by Kari Tauring
Interestingly, however, Thor is the god whose popularity lingers long into the Christian era. Perhaps Odin sacrificed too much for a warrior people. Psyche and Cupid – from the Greek Myths, Psyche was a human woman with whom Cupid, the ...
by Cram101 Textbook Reviews
Thor: Thor is a fictional character in the Comico comic book series Elementals ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Thor
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Thor
Click on an item to view that photo:
God of Thunder
Photo credit: Gunner111
Photo credit: nociveglia
Photo credit: Sean Davis
The Hotel On Rivington (THOR), Lower East Side, New York City....Room 1601
Best viewed LARGE
Photo credit: Chalky Lives
Photo credit: MuseLed
- Thor's Well
Thor's Well @ Cape Perpetua on the Oregon Coast
Photo credit: Bill Young
- Thor iPad wallpaper
Thor from Marvel Comics on your iPad! Enjoy more free comic book ipad wallpapers at...
Photo credit: xploitme
- Ladies Loki and Thor
Photo credit: greyloch
- Thor's Bullet
Thor's Bullet is a five-year-old who only recently won his first race.
Photo credit: Rennett Stowe
- Thor Naps
Photo credit: mamanat - Alison Squiers Photography
- Thor's Well
Photo credit: Thomas Shahan 3
- Marvel Thor Stage
Photo credit: MuseLed
- Thor Chillin
Photo credit: Sean Davis
- Thor cosplayer
Thor cosplayer at the Amazing Arizona Comic Con at the Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix, Arizona.
Photo credit: Gage Skidmore
- Thor Hushovd
Photo credit: Laurie Beylier
- Thor Lake REE Ore
Purple (euhedral?) fluorite and reddish-brown bastnasite in white quartz from one of the multiple undeveloped REE (rare earth element) deposits at Thor Lake, Northwest Territories, Canada. Sample is from the decline into the beryllium-rich T-Zone deposit. Field of view 1 inch by 1/2 inch.
Photo credit: subarcticmike
View more pictures about Thor amboinensis.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Thor
Click on an item to play that video:
- Thor Meaning
Video shows what Thor means. The god of thunder.. occasionally borrowed from Scandinavia.. Thor pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Thor Meaning
Video shows what thor means. there. they're (they are). Thor Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say thor. Powered by MaryTTS ...
- Thor's beard Meaning
Video shows what Thor's beard means. The plant houseleek used in Heathenry.. Thor's beard Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Thor 2 explanation
As title says.
- Thor figure explanation (CrimeBtips)
via youtube Capture.
- Thor 45cc description
- Elementary School ESL Movie Project: "Zeus vs. Thor" (2014)
This was made by two South Korean elementary school students for their 'make a movie' class project. Students studied movie vocabulary on the type of shots ...
View more videos about Thor: the Dark World.
See also the pronunciation examples of Thor!
Quotes about Thor
Scrabble value of T1H4O1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of THOR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Thor!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Thor to see it in context!