Tide appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Saw tide rose? So red it was.
- Edith, cold-eyed, eyed loch tide.
- Regal as tide Kramer remarked. "It's a lager."
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb tide and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun tide
- Definition of the verb tide
- Phrases with Tide
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tide
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tide
- Photos about Tide
- Video language resources about Tide
- Quotes about Tide
- Scrabble value of T1I1D2E1
- Anagrams of TIDE
- Share this page
Tide is sometimes a misspelling of tied.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun tide
What does tide mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: tides
- the periodic rise and fall of the sea level under the gravitational pull of the moon
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- more generic terms: periodic event / recurrent event = an event that recurs at intervals
- more specific terms:
- high water / high tide / highwater = the tide when the water is highest
- low water / low tide = the lowest (farthest) ebb of the tide
- ebbtide = the tide while water is flowing out
- rising tide / flood tide / flood = the occurrence of incoming water
- leeward tide / lee tide = a tide that runs in the same direction as the wind is blowing
- slack water / slack tide = the occurrence of relatively still water at the turn of the (low) tide
- something that may increase or decrease (like the tides of the sea)
- there are usually two high and two low tides each day
Alternative definition of the noun tide
- The periodic change of the sea level, particularly when caused by the gravitational influence of the sun and the moon.
- A stream, current or flood.
- [context: chronology, obsolete, except in liturgy] Time, notably anniversary, period or season linked to an ecclesiastical feast.
- [mining] The period of twelve hours.
- Something which changes like the tides of the sea.
- Tendency or direction of causes, influences, or events; course; current.
- [obsolete] Violent confluence — Francis Bacon
Definition of the verb tide
What does tide mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: tided | tiding | tides
- rise or move forward
- cause to float with the tide
- be carried with the tide
- Tide is the brand-name of a laundry detergent manufactured by Procter & Gamble, first introduced in 1946.
- also known as Alo, Ace
- official website: www.tide.com
- Tide ASA is a public transport company in Hordaland, Norway which resulted from the merger of Gaia Trafikk and Hardanger Sunnhordlandske Dampskipsselskap. The company provides the public transit network in the city of Bergen, and most of the bus service in Hordaland on contract with Skyss. Tide also runs the buses in northern Rogaland on contract with Kolumbus.
- also known as Tide ASA
- official website: www.tide.no
- Tide is a record label.
Who is Tide?
Tide a.k.a. Ekkapun Bunluerit is a Thai actor and an identical twin brother of Thai actor Bin Bunluerit.
- read more about Ekkapun Bunluerit (actor)
Tide is a musical group.
- albums: "Seven Days", "Regeneration", "No. 4"
Tide is a fictional character from the 1990 film Days of Being Wild.
"Tide" is a 1975 short film written and directed by Heinz Emigholz.
- also known as The Formative Years: Tide
- country: Germany
- written by Heinz Emigholz
- cinematography by Heinz Emigholz
- edited by Heinz Emigholz
- released on (39 years ago)
- "Tide" is the sixth album by Antonio Carlos Jobim, released in 1970 on A&M Records.
- "Tide" is a musical album of Dr. Silvana & Cia.
- released in (28 years ago)
- "Tide" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Tide" is a musical single of Mikal Cronin.
- released on
- "tide" is a musical album of Hiroshi Takano.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "tide" is a musical album of Hiroshi Takano.
- released on
- "Tide" is an award-nominated musical album of Luciana Souza.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Tide" is a musical album of Polaris.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Tide" is a musical album of Miles Away.
- released on
- "Tide" is a musical single of Awooga.
- released on
- "Tide" is a composition.
- "Tide" is a musical album of Benjamin Ann.
- Tide: Tides are the rise and fall of sea levels caused by the combined effects of the gravitational forces exerted by the Moon and the Sun and the rotation of the Earth.
- also known as Med Cezir
- Tide is an obsolete or archaic term for time, period or season. It survives in compounds such as Yuletide, eventide, shrovetide, Eastertide, noontide, etc.
Phrases with Tide
Phrases starting with the word Tide:
Phrases ending with the word Tide:
- to tide
- Ebb Tide
- lee tide
- low tide
- red tide
- Rip tide
- high tide
- King tide
- neap tide
- flood tide
- slack tide
- Storm Tide
View more phrases with the word Tide in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Tide
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Superyacht Master (2013)
Navigation and Radar for the Master (Yachts) Certificate by Robert Avis
Ebb tide is a falling tide. A falling tide is said to be ebbing or on the ebb. Equinoctial...
Minnesota School Journal (1904)
A tide is a cape with a tree on it. Each end of the axis is the south pole and the north pole. The horizon is where the sky and ground seam to meat. The circumference of the earth is the heat, the air, and wind. A strait is an island a little ways from ...
Basic Coastal Engineering (1997)
by Robert Sorensen
The resulting tide is a long period wave ...
by Louis Simond
The sea-mud deposited by the tide is an excellent manure ; and they put as many as 20 to 30 tons on an ...
Environmental Hydraulics by Jean-Michel Tanguy
The astronomical tide is the variation of the sea level caused by the ocean's response to the joint gravitational action of the moon and sun on each molecule of this liquid event. The movements of these stars can be calculated exactly over ...
American Exodus (2013)
Climate Change and the Coming Flight for Survival by Giles Slade
John Barry's Rising Tide is an eloquent history of how, in the past, flood events have become occasions for political intrigues and manipulations throughout Louisiana, either in order to retain a population that 100 ...
The Tribes of Palos Verdes (2013)
A Novel by Joy Nicholson
“Red tide is a natural occurrence, a surge of tiny onecelled sea organisms called phytoplankton, whichcan unexpectedly proliferateand spreadover alarge area...” The television broadcast goes onall morning, as reporters try to explain to the ...
by Sally-Anne Lambert
puahatanga Delta mouth pfiwaiwaha Lagoon at the mouth of a river muriwai Backwater mufiwai Places inland or up a river roto TIDE ...
More Than 600 Science Activities Written by Teachers for Teachers by Kathy Charner
Tide. Peeling. Field. Trip. Science skiifs On this delightful field trip, children learn observation, build vocabulary and use fine and large motor skills. Materials Each child will need a pair of rubber boots Many adults will be needed on this field ...
by Hanneke J.G. Baretta-Bekker, Egbert K. Duursma, Bouwe R. Kuipers
— diurnal tide. diurnal inequality of tides difference between ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
The tide is the height of high-water above low- water. This is the interesting circumstance in practice. Many circumstances render it almost impossible to say what is the elevation of high- water above the natural surface of the ocean. In many ...
by Bruce Biggs
Taipari: high tide. Tai timu: ebb tide. Tai aa:neap tide. Tai hauaauru: west coast. Tai raawhiti: east coast.Tai tokerau: North Auckland. Wai tai: sea water. taiahoaho: light, not dark. taiapa: fence, field, paddock. taiapotia: covet. taiaritia: smash, ...
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Tide (1 syl.), the alternate ebb and flow ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Tide
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Tide
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: MikeBlogs
Photo credit: trevormarron
- Tide Laundry Detergent
Tide Laundry Detergent, Proctor and Gamble, by Mike Mozart of TheToyChannel and JeepersMedia on YouTube
Photo credit: JeepersMedia
This is Davis. Chugging Tide. In Jason's closet. *Insert coming out of closet joke here.*
Photo credit: Dana Rocks
- Rolling Tide
Photo credit: evershade
- Tide out
Photo credit: Banalities
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Tide
Click on an item to play that video:
- Tide Meaning
Video shows what tide means. The periodic change of the sea level, particularly when caused by the gravitational influence of the sun and the moon.. A stream ...
- Flood tide Meaning
Video shows what flood tide means. The period between low tide and the next high tide in which the sea is rising.. The highest point of something; a climax.
- Neap tide Meaning
Video shows what neap tide means. The tide which occurs just after the first and third quarters of the moon, when there is least difference between high tide and ...
- Explanation of the Fundy Tide, Parrsboro, NS
Watch what happens when the tide comes in. This video was shot on the shoreline between Ottawa House (the former Sir Charles Tupper's summer home in ...
- Tide TV Commercial from Slang Musicgroup
Tide TV Commercial from Slang Musicgroup.
- Stem the tide Meaning
Video shows what stem the tide means. To slow or stop the increase.. Stem the tide Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say stem the ...
- Clorox & Tide explanation !
- Tide Explanation
- Tide rip Meaning
Video shows what tide rip means. A body of water made rough by the conflict of opposing tides or currents.. Tide rip Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Tide mill Meaning
Video shows what tide mill means. A mill operated by tidal currents.. A mill for clearing lands of tide water. Tide mill Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- HPC Tide Lab Explanation 3 13
- Critical tide level Meaning
Video shows what critical tide level means. A zone in which the duration of annual continuous exposure or submergence of intertidal areas changes sharply.
View more videos about Ebb Tide, Low Tide, Red tide, Rip tide, tide day, High Tide, King tide, Roll Tide, Tide Dial, tide gate, tide lock, tide over, Storm Tide, Tide gauge, Tide table, Tide Wheel, Rising Tide, Spring Tide, Tide Waiter, Time and Tide, Turn The Tide, and Atmospheric tide.
See also the pronunciation examples of Tide!
Quotes about Tide
At high tide fish eat ants; at low tide ants eat fish.
more quotes about tide...
Scrabble value of T1I1D2E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine