On this page:
- Definition of the noun underdog
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Underdog
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Underdog
- Photos about Underdog
- Video language resources about Underdog
- Sign language
- Quotes about Underdog
- Scrabble value of U1N1D2E1R1D2O1G2
- Anagrams of UNDERDOG
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun underdog
What does underdog mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: underdogs
- one at a disadvantage and expected to lose
- examples: Luciano, the underdog in the match, will be trying to make the champ eat humble pie. | The priest seems to make it a practice to climb on the underdog's bandwagon and persuade the other side to compromise. | I always root for the underdog. | Some people say that it is human nature to root for the underdog. | A pooch dubbed "Underdog" was rescued today after it plunged the equivalent of 50 storeys into an open pit diamond mine in South Africa.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic terms: failure / loser / nonstarter / unsuccessful person = a person with a record of failing
Alternative definition of the noun underdog
- A competitor thought unlikely to win.
- Somebody at a disadvantage.
- antonym: sure bet
- A high swing wherein the person pushing the swing runs beneath the swing while the person being pushed is at the forward limit of the arc.
- antonym: safe bet
- "Underdog" is a 2007 American live action action comedy superhero film based on the 1960s cartoon series of the same name. The film was directed by Frederik Du Chau and stars Peter Dinklage as Dr. Simon Barsinister, Patrick Warburton as Cad Lackley, and Jason Lee as the voice of Underdog. The film also stars Jim Belushi, Alex Neuberger, Taylor Momsen, and Amy Adams. The film was loosely based on the super-powered cartoon character of the same name and several other characters from the cartoon. It was produced by Spyglass Entertainment and Classic Media and released theatrically in the United States by Walt Disney Pictures. It was filmed in Providence, Rhode Island. Unlike the TV series, the Underdog character is portrayed as a regular dog rather than an anthropomorphic one.
- also known as Iron-Puppy Underdog, Superdog
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Gary Barber, Roger Birnbaum, Jonathan Glickman & Jay Polstein
- executive producers: Todd Arnow, Bob Higgins, Eric Ellenbogen
- production design by Garreth Stover
- art direction by James F. Truesdale
- written by Craig A. Williams, Adam Rifkin, Joe Piscatella
- based on "Underdog" by Craig A. Williams, Adam Rifkin, Joe Piscatella & W. Watts Biggers
- Alex Neuberger as Jack
- Jason Lee as Underdog
- Peter Dinklage as Dr. Simon Barsinister
- Patrick Warburton as Cad
- Taylor Momsen as Molly
- Amy Adams as Polly
- Brad Garrett as Riff Raff
- John Slattery as Mayor
- Jim Belushi as Dan Unger
- Samantha Bee as Principal
- Tim Crowe as Police Chief
- Larry Vigus as Security Guard
- Mario Mariani as Police Officer #1
- Bates Wilder as Cop
- Alexander Garde as Small Boy
- Christopher Francis Byrnes as Mailman
- Joseph Siriani as News Stand Guy
- Sujoy De as Office Worker #1
- Michele Proude as Office Worker #2
- Albert M. Chan as Geek Worker
- Jon Pierce as Hot Dog Vendor
- Susie Castillo as Diana Flores
- Bob Jaffe as Professor
- Bruce-Robert Serafin as City Worker
- Lonnie Farmer as Passerby
- Anthony Estrella as Male School Teacher
- Malik McMullen as Bomb Squad Officer #1
- Aaron Dorsey as Little Boy
- Walter Covell as Old Man
- Kate Lohman as Housewife
- Lewis D. Wheeler as Geek with Glasses
- Ellen Withrow as Female Teacher
- John M. Deluca as Newscaster
- Frank Ridley as Police Sergeant
- Grady Justice as College Guy
- Courtney O'Regan as College Girl
- Rebekah Aramini as Fox Collar Lady
- Richney Fischer as Baseball Dad
- Joe Stapleton as Cat Burglar Police #1
- Armen Garo as Cat Burglar Police #2
- Daniel Kirby as News Director
- Stephen James Kidd as Bomb Squad Member
- Rena Maliszweski as Mother
- Diana Shneider as Police Secretary
- Barry Blair as SWAT Captain
- Bob Boehm as Bomb Squad Officer #2
- Lincoln P. Sisson as Bomb Squad Officer #3
- Gabriel Field as Lyle
- Harry L. Thomas as Police Artist
- Amy Tanner as Kissing Girl
- casting by Gail Goldberg
- cinematography by David Eggby
- edited by Tom Finan
- music by Randy Edelman
- costume design by Gary Jones & Annie Bloom
- set decoration by Maggie Martin
- genres: Adventure Film, Family, Superhero movie, Action/Adventure, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action Film, Comedy
- rating: PG (USA)
- released on (8 years ago)
- official website: movies.disney.com/underdog
- "Underdog" a.k.a. "Svenskjävel" is a film, directed by Ronnie Sandahl.
- read more about Svenskjävel
- "Underdog" is a 2002 short film directed by Eran Merav.
- country: Israel
- released in (13 years ago)
- Underdog is a fictional character from the film Good Boy.
- Underdog is a fictional character from the 2007 film Underdog.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Underdog
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
CHAPTER ONE INTRODUCTION The underdog is a part of American folklore. The individuals that against long odds and superior talent summon great determination and fortitude to defeat the favorite have a long and revered history in ...
The People Inside Us by John Rowan
The underdog is the Mickey Mouse. The topdog is the Super Mouse .... This is the basis for the famous selftorture game. (Perls 1969) The topdog is of course very reminiscent of the Freudian superego, but Perls pointed out that Freud never ...
Motion Blur (2004)
Graphic Moving Imagemakers by Shane R. J. Walter, Matt Hanson, Onedotzero
01-15 Underdog is a personal film project that sees Felt move into documentary territory It brings together two sides of LA and two different characters 40-year-old . half-Cherokee, half-black street poet Greg, and God-fearing film- location fixer ...
Journeys with Saints and Sinners by Dermot Gilvary, Darren J. N. Middleton
Thus, sympathy with the political underdog is an important impulse in the writings of both men. Both Conrad and Greene declined knighthoods (perhaps because they did not wish to become 'Commanders' of the 'Order of an Empire'). By that ...
Black Firsts (2012)
4,000 Ground-Breaking and Pioneering Historical Events by Jessie Carney Smith
Topdog/Underdog is a dark comedy with only two characters—brothers Lincoln and Booth. A native of Fort Knox, Kentucky, Parks attended mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts and studied with James Baldwin at Hampshire College .
Ibn 'Arabi (2012)
Heir to the Prophets by William C. Chittick
At the same time, we all recognize that helping the underdog is a noble character trait. How could God, who is merciful and ...
The Myth of the Picaro (2014)
Continuity and Transformation of the Picaresque Novel, 1554-1954 by Alexander Blackburn
When, almost two centuries later, the theme of an aristocrat's pursuit of an underdog becomes intense in the novel, as it does in William Godwin's Caleb Williams (1794), the underdog is a hero, the aristocrat a criminal. In Buscón that revolution ...
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2008)
by Frederick T. Leong
Top Dog/Underdog The top dog represents a person's conscience. The underdog is the part of the personality that goes along with ...
by William N. Thompson Ph.D.
There are also parlay wagers called “teaser” bets where the bettor is given extra points (to lessen the points a favorite has to give or to get more points for the underdog) for a game in exchange for having the odds on the bet changed against ...
by Oxford University Press
Dictionary of Sociology (2012)
by Tony Lawson, Joan Garrod
(See sociology ofthe underdog.) values: ideas or beliefs that are thought to be valuable by those who hold them. There is an ethical dimension to the concept of values, in that beliefs about goodness are often attached to them. In functionalist ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Underdog
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Underdog
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Underdog
Click on an item to play that video:
- Underdog Meaning
Video shows what underdog means. A competitor thought unlikely to win.. Somebody at a disadvantage.. A high swing wherein the person pushing the swing ...
- 2.American Slang. (English lesson): PRICK | to JINX | UNDERDOG
Tom Taylor, ESL tutor...
- Ron Paul Definition of an Underdog
- Dodgeball A True Underdog Story Dictionary
UNDERDOG | ASL - American Sign Language
How to express the concept of UNDERDOG in American Sign Language (ASL).
Quotes about Underdog
Everybody likes the underdog, because everybody feels like the underdog. No matter how successful you are, you always think, No one's being nice enough to me! (Kate Beckinsale)
more quotes about underdog...
Scrabble value of U1N1D2E1R1D2O1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of UNDERDOG
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Underdog!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Underdog to see it in context!