The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun Wain:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun wain
- Definition of the verb wain
- Phrases with Wain
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wain
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wain
- Photos about Wain
- Videos about Wain
- Quotes about Wain
- Scrabble value of W4A1I1N1
- Anagrams of WAIN
- Share this page
Wain is sometimes a misspelling of were.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wain
What does wain mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wains
- a group of seven bright stars in the constellation Ursa Major
- large open farm wagon
Alternative definition of the noun wain
- [archaic or literary] A wagon; A four-wheeled cart for hauling loads, usually pulled by horses or oxen.
- [context: paganism] A chariot used by the gods and goddesses or a symbolic cart used in rituals and shrines in Heathenry.
Definition of the verb wain
What does wain mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: wained | waining | wains
- To lose strength or clarity.
Wain is a town in the district of Biberach in Baden-Württemberg in Germany.
- Wain: A wain is a type of horse- or oxen-drawn, load-carrying vehicle, used for agricultural purposes rather than transporting people. A wagon or cart, usually four wheeled. For example a haywain. It normally has four wheels but the term has now acquired slightly poetical connotations so is not always used with technical correctness. However, a two-wheeled 'haywain' would be a hay cart, as opposed to a carriage. "Wain" is also an archaic term for chariot. Wain can also be a verb, to carry or deliver, and has other meanings.
- WAIN is a radio station licensed to Columbia, Kentucky, USA.
- Wain a.k.a. Nabak Language: Nabak is a Papuan language spoken in Morobe Province, Papua New Guinea. It's also known as Wain.
- read more about Nabak Language
Phrases with Wain
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wain
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Arthur's Wain is the Little Bear, to which Sir Walter Scott's epithet " slow " is peculiarly appropriate, because the nearer the heavenly bodies are to the pole the slower they appear to move. Scott's authority for the name was probably Joseph ...
by Edward Young
THE Wain is a Beggar of Admiration. Begging is an unreputable Profesion ; but as we are dependent Beings, we must all be Beggars in fome Degree. The Scandal therefore ofthis Praćtice depends on two Things, the Charaćter of the Person ...
by Rev. Robert Lovett
Wain is the boast, “We be free born! — we were never in bondage to any man "- for “if the Son of God shall make you free, then,” and then only, “shall ye be free 14 CHRISTIAN LIBERTY. 209 bears witness to Jesus, the conscience is freed ...
Accurately Printed from the Text of Mr. Steevens's Last Edition with a Selection of the Most Important Notes by William Shakespeare
* Charles' wain is the vulgar name given to the constellation called the Bear.
Cobbett's Political Register (1818)
Wain is the imagination of that man, who supposes, that these questions are to be avoided by the sticking of some delegate upon the hustings to say, “thus and thus saith Sir Francis.” A delegate will not easily be found, if it be recollected how ...
According to the Authorized Version
Wain is the praise of men: they extol a person one day, and insult him the next; they idolize and then execrate, perhaps without any other cause, than a change in a man's outward circumstances. Let us then be indifferent about human ...
by P. Joyce, N. Wain
Wain. O. OCCUPY. MOVEMENT. The Occupy movement originated from the Occupy Wall Street protests in 2011. It is an international protest movement that uses direct action to further its demands. In America, the designation ...
A Comprehensive Reference Work by Thomas Edward Finegan
Wain. See. Bear. Cheat. Charleston (Charls'tun), a city and L-nanesion. scaport of fcouth Carolina, on a tongue of land formed by the confluence of the rivers Cooper and Ashley, which unite just below the city, and form a spacious and ...
by A & C Black Publishers Ltd
an alcoholic drink made from the juice of fruit or flowers elderberry wine í verb to wine and dine someone to take someone out for an expensive dinner and drinks winebarwine bar /wain bɑ/ noun BARS a bar which serves wine, and usually ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wain
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wain
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Wain Tiba!
Za3al wa nizaaaaaaaaaaaal LoOl!
Photo credit: saraab™
- Wain Stones
Just off the Pennine Way near Bleaklow Head.
These rocks were christened "The Kiss" by A W Wainwright.
Photo credit: ARG_Flickr
- Wain Wath Force
Keld North Yorkshire
Photo credit: colgregg
- Errigal & wain
Photo credit: sydh2010
- Wain Stones west
The view west from the Wain Stones on Bleaklow in the Peak District.
Photo credit: walkinguphills
- The Wain Stones
Photo credit: Simon Wheatley
View more pictures about hay wain.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Wain
Click on an item to play that video:
- Charles' Wain Meaning
Video shows what Charles' Wain means. A bright circumpolar asterism of the northern sky, said to resemble a wagon or cart. It is part of the constellation Ursa ...
- Wain Meaning
Video shows what wain means. A wagon, a four-wheeled cart for hauling loads, usually pulled by horses or oxen.. Wain Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
View more videos about hay wain.
See also the pronunciation examples of Wain!
Quotes about Wain
Scrabble value of W4A1I1N1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WAIN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Wain!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wain to see it in context!