White appears in the following tongue twisters:
- It's a nice night for a white rice fight.
- Ripe white wheat reapers reap ripe white wheat right.
- Who washed Washington's white woolen underwear when Washington's washer-woman went west?
White appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- A large fawn jumped quickly over white zinc boxes. (41 letters)
- Jack typed requisitions for white moving boxes (long size). (48 letters)
Usage statistics for the adjective white:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun white
- Definition of the adjective white
- Definition of the verb white
- Phrases with White
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for White
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for White
- Usage statistics about white
- Photos about White
- Videos about White
- Sign language
- Quotes about White
- Scrabble value of W4H4I1T1E1
- Anagrams of WHITE
- Share this page
Fun fact! White meat was originally another name for dairy produce.
The word white is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun white
What does white mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- white: whites
- White: Whites
- a Caucasian
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of White: Caucasian / White person
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- Aryan = a Caucasian person of Nordic descent
- Circassian = a member of the Sunni Muslim people living in northwestern Caucasia
- Semite = a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
- Cassite / Kassite = a member of an ancient people who ruled Babylonia between 1600 and 1200 BC
- Elamite = a member of an ancient warlike people living in Elam east of Babylonia as early as 3000 BC
- white man = a man who is White
- white woman = a woman who is White
- poor white trash / white trash = an offensive term for White people who are impoverished
- honkey / honkie / whitey / honky = offensive names for a White man
- white Anglo-Saxon Protestant / WASP = a white person of Anglo-Saxon ancestry who belongs to a Protestant denomination
- the quality or state of the achromatic color of greatest lightness (bearing the least resemblance to black)
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of white: whiteness
- antonym of white: black
- more generic terms: achromatic color / achromatic colour = a color lacking hue
- more specific words:
- United States jurist appointed chief justice of the United States Supreme Court in 1910 by President Taft; noted for his work on antitrust legislation (1845-1921)
- United States political journalist (1915-1986)
- United States architect (1853-1906)
- United States educator who in 1865 (with Ezra Cornell) founded Cornell University and served as its first president (1832-1918)
- the white part of an egg; the nutritive and protective gelatinous substance surrounding the yolk consisting mainly of albumin dissolved in water
- example: she separated the whites from the yolks of several eggs
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonyms of white: albumen / egg white / ovalbumin
- more generic words: fixings / ingredient = food that is a component of a mixture in cooking
- part of: egg / eggs = oval reproductive body of a fowl (especially a hen) used as food
- (board games) the lighter pieces
- (usually in the plural) trousers made of flannel or gabardine or tweed or white cloth
Definition of the adjective white
What does white mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: whiter | whitest
- being of the achromatic color of maximum lightness; having little or no hue owing to reflection of almost all incident light
- of or belonging to a racial group having light skin coloration
- free from moral blemish or impurity; unsullied
- example: in shining white armor
- similar: pure
- marked by the presence of snow
- restricted to whites only
- glowing white with heat
- benevolent; without malicious intent
- example: that's white of you
- similar: good
- (of a surface) not written or printed on
- (of coffee) having cream or milk added
- (of hair) having lost its color
- anemic looking from illness or emotion
- of summer nights in northern latitudes where the sun barely sets
- example: white nights
- similar: light
Alternative definition of the adjective white
- Bright and colourless; reflecting equal quantities of all frequencies of visible light.
- Of Caucasian race.
- [context: of coffee] Containing cream, milk, or creamer.
- antonym: gangsta
- [context: board games, chess] The standard denomination of the playing pieces of a board game deemed to belong to the white set, no matter what the actual colour.
- antonym: tanned
- Pertaining to an ecclesiastical order whose adherents dress in white habits; Cistercian.
- [slang, often, humorous, sometimes, offensive] exhibiting traits popularly associated with Caucasian culture, especially European high culture, as opposed to African-American culture.
- [of a, person or skin] Lacking coloration from ultraviolet light.
Definition of the verb white
What does white mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: whited | whiting | whites
- turn white
- White a.k.a. Jack White is an American musician, producer, and occasional actor. He is most well known as the frontman of the band The White Stripes, though he has been in several bands and collaborated with various artists. On April 24, 2012, White released his debut solo album, Blunderbuss, which received wide critical acclaim. His second studio album, Lazaretto, was released on June 10, 2014.
- read more about Jack White
- White a.k.a. Trevor White: Trevor Alan White is a Canadian actor who has worked in theatre, film, television and radio since 1994, and has been based out of London since 2001.
- read more about Trevor White (actor)
- White was an English cricketer. White's batting style is unknown. He most likely held the rank of captain in either the British Army or Royal Navy, as he was known as Captain White on scorecards.
- White a.k.a. Setthapong Phiangphor is an actor and singer.
- read more about Setthapong Phiangphor (actor)
- White was an English cricketer who played for Hampshire county cricket teams organised by the Hambledon Club.
- WHITE is a musical group.
- album: "WHITE"
- White a.k.a. White+ is a musical group.
- album: "White+"
There are other groups with in their name, like White Ape, White Ash, White Car, White Jam, White Out, White Owl, White Ppl, White Sea, white-ash, White-Out, Deep White, Lily White, lily-white, Snow White, Snow-White, Soma White, White Bats, White City, White Door and White flag.
- White is an architectural firm based in Gothenburg, Sweden. It is the biggest firm in Scandinavia, with more than 700 team members.
- official website: www.white.se
- White is a record label.
- official website: www.whitelovesyou.com/content/white.html
- "White": White: The Great Pursuit is a novel by Christian author Ted Dekker. It is the third book of four in the Circle series.
- also known as "White (Circle 3)", "White (Audio) (Circle (Westbow Press))", "White (Circle Trilogy)", "White (Walker Large Print Books)"
- language: English Language
- Thomas Hunter
- genres: Thriller, Science Fiction, Fiction, Fantasy, Speculative fiction, Mystery, Suspense
- subject: Suspense
- copyright: 2004-10
- released in (11 years ago)
- "White" is a play by Andy Manley.
- "White" is a book by Christopher Whitcomb.
- genres: Fiction, Mystery, Suspense
- subjects: Espionage, Indonesia, Adventure, Terrorism, Suspense
- White was a series of documentaries shown in March 2008 on BBC 2 dealing with issues of race and the changing nature of the white working class in Britain.
- "White" a.k.a. "Three Colors: White" is a 1994 French-Polish comedy-drama art film co-written, produced, and directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski. White is the second in The Three Colors Trilogy, themed on the French Revolutionary ideals, following Blue and preceding Red.
- also known as Trzy kolory: Bialy, Trois Couleurs: Blanc, Drei Farben: Weiß
- countries: France, Poland, Switzerland
- languages: Polish Language, French, English Language, Russian Language
- producer: Marin Karmitz
- executive producer: Yvon Crenn
- production design by Halina Dobrowolska & Claude Lenoir
- written by Krzysztof Piesiewicz, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Agnieszka Holland, Edward Zebrowski, Edward Kłosiński
- Julie Delpy as Dominique
- Zbigniew Zamachowski as Karol Karol
- Janusz Gajos as Mikolaj
- Jerzy Stuhr as Jurek
- Aleksander Bardini as Le notaire
- Florence Pernel as Sandrine
- Juliette Binoche as Julie Vignon de Courcy
- Grzegorz Warchol as L'elégant
- Cezary Harasimowicz as L'inspecteur
- Jerzy Nowak as Le vieux paysan
- Jerzy Trela as Monsieur Bronek
- casting by Teresa Violetta Buhl & Margot Capelier
- cinematography by Edward Kłosiński
- edited by Urszula Lesiak
- music by Zbigniew Preisner
- set decoration by Tomasz Kowalski, Dariusz Lipinski, Henryk Puchalski
- genres: Romance Film, Mystery, Comedy, Comedy-drama, Drama
- rating: R (USA), UK: 15, 18+ (RU)
- released on (22 years ago)
- award: - European Film Award for Best Film nomination for Marin Karmitz & Krzysztof Kieślowski
- "White" a.k.a. "Shwet" is a short film, directed by Kanchan Ghosh and written by Anish Sahebsingh Ahluwalia & Ramdas Pawar.
- read more about Shwet
- "White": Set in a future world on the verge of environmental collapse, a group of archaeologists venture into a toxic desert wasteland, determined to unearth a lost civilization they believe suffered a similar fate and hoping that this ancient disaster holds clues that can help avert their own ruin. But can they survive the desert long enough to do the work they need to do, and unearth the discoveries they desperately need to find? In their digging, they make at least two discoveries they don’t expect: the power of love, and a curious notion they come to know as faith.
- "White" a.k.a. "White: The Melody of the Curse" is a 2011 South Korean horror film by Kim Gok and Kim Sun.
- read more about White: The Melody of the Curse
- "White" is a 2013 short drama film written by Lana Baric and Zvonimir Juric and directed by Zvonimir Juric.
- "White" is the fifth studio album released by Angela Aki, released on September 28, 2011 in two editions, standard and limited. The limited one includes a bonus DVD with a music video of "Hajimari no Ballad" and performance footage held at a museum in June 2011.
- genre: Pop music
- released on (4 years ago)
- "White" is a musical album of Superfly.
- released on
- "White" is the fifteenth single by Japanese boy band KAT-TUN. The track "White" is used in the "Sofina Otona no Bihaku" TV commercial, while "Perfect" is used in Kazuya Kamenashi's Aoki "3D Slim Suits" TV commercial.
- "White" a.k.a. "White+" is a musical album of White+.
- released on
- "White" a.k.a. "Beyaz" is a 2011 studio album by Ebru Gündeş.
- read more about Beyaz
- "White" is an album released in 1987 by Rifle Sport on Ruthless Records.
- genre: Post-punk
- released in (29 years ago)
- "White" is a compilation of songs by the Japanese hard rock group Show-Ya. The collection was released in 1988 in Japan. The album reached position No. 43 in the Japanese Oricon chart.
- "White" is a musical album of Fin.K.L.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "White" is a musical album of Sunn O))).
- released on (9 years ago)
- "White" is a musical album of Nino Katamadze & Insight.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "White" a.k.a. "[White]" is a musical EP of The Walkmen.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "White" is a composition.
- "white" is a musical album of Cure Rubbish.
- released on
- "WHITE" is a musical single of KAT-TUN.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "WHITE" is a musical single of CNBLUE.
- released on
- "White" is a musical single of Circulation.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "White" is a musical album of Pumice.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "WHITE" is a musical album of Joe Odagiri.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "White" is a musical album of White.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "White" is a musical EP of Peter Valentine.
- released in (20 years ago)
- White is a city in Bartow County, Georgia, United States. The population was 670 at the 2010 census.
- White is a city in Brookings County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 485 at the 2010 census.
- WHITE is an Aviation waypoint.
There are other places with in their name, like Bob White, bob-white, White Ash, White Bay, White box, White Oak, White Owl, White Run, White Sea, white-ash, Fort White, Glen White, White Ball, White Bear, White Bird, White Deer, White Hall, White Hill, White Lake.
White a.k.a. White Wine is a wine whose colour can be straw-yellow, yellow-green, or yellow-gold coloured.
- also known as Alcoholic beverage, wine, table, white
- more generic: Wine
There are other foods with White in their name, like Egg white, egg-white, White hot, white-hot, White aval, White Hart, White rice, White sage, White bread, White Cross, White horse, White sauce, White sugar, White-Bread, white-cross, White nettle, White pudding, white-mustard, Dry White Wine.
- White horses are born white and stay white throughout their life. White horses may have brown, blue, or hazel eyes. "True white" horses, especially those that carry one of the dominant white genes, are rare. Most horses that are commonly referred to as "white" are actually "gray" horses whose hair coats are completely white.
- White is a breed coloring.
- White Gene, abbreviated w, was the first sex-linked mutation ever discovered in the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. In 1910 Thomas Hunt Morgan and Lilian Vaughan Morgan collected a single male white-eyed mutant from a population of Drosophila melanogaster fruit flies, which usually have dark brick red eyes. Upon crossing this male with wild-type female flies, they found that the offspring did not conform to the expectations of Mendelian inheritance. The first generation produced 1,237 red-eyed offspring and three white-eyed flies, all males. The second generation produced 2,459 red-eyed females, 1,011 red-eyed males, and 782 white-eyed males. Further experimental crosses led them to the conclusion that this mutation was somehow physically connected to the "factor" that determined gender in Drosophila. Morgan named this trait white gene, now abbreviated w. Flies carrying the white allele/ white gene are frequently used to introduce high school and college students to genetics. The protein coded by white functions as an ATP-binding cassette transporter.
- White is a lunar impact crater. It lies on the far side of the Moon from the Earth, to the southwest of the huge walled plain Apollo. About one crater diameter to the south-southwest is the small crater Hendrix.
- also known as وایت
- White a.k.a. Abcg1 is a protein.
- read more about Abcg1
- White is a 2011 off-Broadway theater production of a play by Andy Manley.
- award: - Drama Desk Award for Unique Theatrical Experience
Phrases with White
Phrases starting with the word White:
- white ant
- white ash
- White Bat
- White box
- White Boy
- White Cap
- White Eel
- white elm
- white fir
- white fox
- White hat
- white leg
- white lie
- white man
- white oak
- white out
- White Owl
Phrases ending with the word White:
View more phrases with the word White in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for White
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Manual for Practitioners by Kenneth V. Hardy, Toby Bobes
Being White means stepping on and over people and never having to say you are sorry. Being White means choosing to not see or acknowledge People of Color on a daily basis no matter what relationship you have with them. Being White ...
Healing the Racial Divide (2014)
A Catholic Racial Justice Framework Inspired by Dr. Arthur Falls by Lincoln Rice
experience “racial prejudice, discrimination, rejection, and hostility” and being white means that one will experience “the presumption of dominance and entitlement . . . [and being] the measure of normativity.”3 For those who think that racism ...
by Ernest E. Heimbach
qe white hli yolk nkaub ...
by Merril D. Smith
The constructed definitions of race include ethnicity and biology markers in which indi- viduals are segregated according to race groups that comprise, but are not limited to, white, black, brown, and Asian. Cultural researchers assert that ...
by Hugh Johnson
Oysters Raw White (++++++): NV Champagne, Chablis Premier Cru, Muscadet, white Graves, Sancerre or Guinness. Cooked Puligny-Montrachet, or good New World Chardonnay. Champagne is good with both.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for White
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about white
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the adjective white:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun white:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun white and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective white:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective white and its most common antonym:
Photos about White
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: OiMax
(Also available in B&W :P)
Photo credit: Sean K.
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: Waywuwei
Photo credit: Why Not Linh Vu
Photo credit: Suzie T
Photo credit: Infomastern
Photo credit: creyesk
Photo credit: erix!
- White House
White House, Washigton DC.
Photo credit: Diego Cambiaso
- White streets
Photo credit: VV Nincic
- White Crowned Sparrow
Photo credit: Monkeystyle3000
- Abstract White
Project 365 - 86
Is this going to become a pattern? Perhaps.
Photo credit: JuditK
- White Sands
White Sands National Monument in Alamogordo, New Mexico asl;djf;la alijasdf f aljasg a[ljsdf a g[laiojsd g[lalksjg a [liasg ad [oijglk;amsekj g';lokasdklj asl;kjdsf.
Photo credit: lisacchamberlain
- White Chicken
Photo credit: The Garden Smallholder
- White leaf.
Photo credit: MIKI Yoshihito. (#mikiyoshihito)
Photo credit: matrianklw
- White berries
Photo credit: Skyggefotografen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about White
Click on an item to play that video:
- White Color Meaning
- Color White Meaning and Mood Ring Meaning
- White Rhino-Definition - Cookin Ingredients
The Music Songs White Rhino-Definition - Cookin' Ingredients Albums Compilation Electronic Future Jazz Downtempo Cool Acid Jazz Chill Out Ambient ...
- WHITE DEFINITION - The Film
MAKE UP FOR EVER launches New White Definition. A new brightening & anti-yellowing powder foundation for a complexion as flawless, radiant and pure as ...
- Subpart F Explanation - White Board Tutorial
Moss Adams White Board Tutorial: International Tax Partner Bill Armstrong explains Subpart F income and how how an outbound transfer of assets from a US ...
- White Definition
- Deep & White - Definition of LOVE
Music by ` DEEP AND WHITE ` with composition: `` DEFINITION OF LOVE `` Enjoy! :))))
- Overprint white text - and its meaning in desktop publishing
- 22 The Meaning of the Tara Mantras - White Tara Retreat - 01-14-11 BBCorner
Ven. Chodron explains the meaning of the mantras in the White Tara sadhana.
- WHITE DEFINITION
- Fix A Blown Head Gasket White Board Video Explanation
- Pokemon White Explanation
An extremely detailed and lengthy explanation on Pokemon White's status.
- Taekwondo White Belt Terminology
- THE OCCULT AND METAPHYSICAL EXPLANATION OF "WHITE SUGAR"
- White chocolate Meaning
Video shows what white chocolate means. a food made from cocoa butter, milk, and sugar, having no cocoa solids. a piece of confectionery consisting of this.
- Black and white Meaning
Video shows what black and white means. A 1970s police patrol car.. A type of giant cookie (about 8 inches diameter) with icing on the top side: half white, half ...
- Disability Rights Advocate Lamar White: Abbott Owes Texans Apology & Explanation For Justice Denied
Lamar White, a Dallas law student and disability rights advocate, was called a "prop" by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's top campaign advisor. In this new ...
- GUDARSH2427WS white sapphire meaning
white sapphire meaning White Sapphire often referred to as the colorless Sapphire is the Gemstone of Venus and it used as a Diamond Alternative.
- WHITE DEFINITION Instant Brightening Powder Foundation
- Chris White - Another Language
Music video by Chris White performing Another Language. (c) 2014 Wiyh Records, LLC.
- Idioms with "White" ESL Class 811 British Pronunciation
- Black and White in Color Wins Foreign Language Film: 1977 Oscars
Producer Arthur Cohn accepts the Oscar for Foreign Language Film awarded to the Ivory Coast for Black and White in Color at the 49th Academy Awards.
- White Wine-Riesling: Wine Dictionary w/ Lettie Teague
In this latest WSJ Wine Dictionary, Lettie Teague offers an in-depth tutorial on Riesling and offers a few recommendations.
- Club W Wine Description - 2014 Ruza White Zinfandel
- Kaplan White Tan- Summer '14 (Product Description)
Click on an item to play that video:
- WHITE GRAPES | ASL - American Sign Language
Sign for WHITE GRAPES in ASL.
- White Christmas in Sign Language
This video was created to assist members of Singing Hands, a non profit, volunteer group of signers who perform for businesses, nursing homes, religious ...
- WHITE ONION | ASL - American Sign Language
Sign for ONION in ASL.
- WHITE: American Sign Language for WHITE
WHITE: American Sign Language for WHITE.
- WHITE BREAD | ASL - American Sign Language
Sign for WHITE BREAD in ASL.
Quotes about White
Some white people hate black people, and some white people love black people, some black people hate white people, and some black people love white people. So you see it's not an issue of black and white, it's an issue of Lovers and Haters. (Eden Ahbez)
more quotes about white...
Scrabble value of W4H4I1T1E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WHITE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of White!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of White to see it in context!