Wild appears in the following tongue twister:
- Willy's wooden whistle wouldn't whistle when Willy went wild.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun wild:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective wild:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective wild and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective wild
- Definition of the adverb wild
- Definition of the noun wild
- Phrases with Wild
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wild
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wild
- Photos about Wild
- Videos about Wild
- Sign language
- Quotes about Wild
- Scrabble value of W4I1L1D2
- Share this page
The word wild is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective wild
What does wild mean as an attribute of a noun?
Wild is one of the top 100 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: wilder | wildest
- marked by extreme lack of restraint or control
- in a natural state; not tamed or domesticated or cultivated
- in a state of extreme emotion
- examples: wild with anger | wild with grief
- similar: passionate
- deviating widely from an intended course
- examples: a wild bullet | he threw a wild pitch
- similar: uncontrolled
- (of colors or sounds) intensely vivid or loud
- without a basis in reason or fact
- talking or behaving irrationally
- involving risk or danger
- fanciful and unrealistic; foolish
- located in a dismal or remote area; desolate
- intensely enthusiastic about or preoccupied with
- without civilizing influences
- (of the elements) as if showing violent anger
Alternative definition of the adjective wild
- Untamed; not domesticated.
- antonym: tame
- Unrestrained or uninhibited.
- Raucous, unruly, or licentious.
- Visibly and overtly anxious; frantic.
- Disheveled, tangled, or untidy.
- See Enthusiastic.
- See Inaccurate.
- [mathematics, of a knot] Not capable of being represented as a finite closed polygonal chain.
Definition of the adverb wild
What does wild mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- in an uncontrolled and rampant manner
- synonym of wild: rampantly
- in a wild or undomesticated manner
- examples: growing wild | roaming wild
Alternative definition of the adverb wild
- Inaccurately; not on target.
Definition of the noun wild
What does wild mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wilds
- a wild primitive state untouched by civilization
- examples: he lived in the wild | they collected mushrooms in the wild
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of wild: natural state / state of nature
- more generic word: state = the way something is with respect to its main attributes
- more specific words: primitiveness / primitivism / crudeness / rudeness / crudity = a wild or unrefined state
- a wild and uninhabited area left in its natural condition
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of wild: wilderness
- more generic terms: geographic area / geographic region / geographical area / geographical region = a demarcated area of the Earth
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun wild
- The undomesticated state of a wild animal
- [chiefly in plural] a wilderness
- "Wild" is a 2014 American biographical drama film directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, written by Nick Hornby, and based on the memoir Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. The film stars Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern. The film premiered at the Telluride Film Festival on August 29, 2014 and released theatrically on December 5, 2014 in North America.
- countries: United States of America, Canada
- language: English Language
- producers: Reese Witherspoon & Bruna Papandrea
- executive producers: Nathan Ross & Bergen Swanson
- production design by John Paino
- art direction by Javiera Varas
- written by Nick Hornby
- based on "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Cheryl Strayed
- Reese Witherspoon as Cheryl Strayed
- Gaby Hoffmann as Aimee
- Laura Dern
- Charles Baker as Tj
- Kevin Rankin as Greg
- W. Earl Brown as Frank
- Michiel Huisman
- Thomas Sadoski
- Nick Eversman as Richie
- J.D. Evermore as Clint
- Mo McRae as Jimmy Carter
- Ted Rooney as Crazy Guy
- Jeanine Jackson as Lecturer
- Orianna Herrman as Paul's Girlfriend
- Jordan David Gross as Joe
- casting by David Rubin
- cinematography by Yves Bélanger
- edited by Jean-Marc Vallée
- costume design by Melissa Bruning
- set decoration by Robert Covelman
- genres: Biographical film, Drama
- released in
- official website: www.foxsearchlight.com/wild
- "Wild" a.k.a. "The Wild" is a 2006 American computer animated adventure comedy film directed by animator Steve "Spaz" Williams, and produced by Clint Goldman and Beau Flynn. The film was a C.O.R.E. Feature Animation production, and it was distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. It was released to theaters on April 14, 2006 in North America.
- also known as Jungle City, The Big Break, Wildlife
- countries: Canada, United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Steven Williams
- producers: Clint Goldman & Will Vinton
- executive producers: Stefan Simchowitz, Kevin Lima, Will Vinton
- production design by Chris Farmer
- art direction by Michael E. Goldman & Chris Farmer
- written by Ed Decter, Mark Gibson, Philip Halprin & John J. Strauss
- based on a story by Philip Halprin & Mark Gibson
- Kiefer Sutherland as Samson
- Jim Belushi as Benny
- Eddie Izzard as Nigel
- Janeane Garofalo as Bridget
- William Shatner as Kazar
- Richard Kind as Larry
- Greg Cipes as Ryan
- Colin Hay as Fergus Flamingo
- Miles Marsico as Duke
- Jack DeSena as Eze
- Don Cherry as Penguin MC
- Bob Joles as Camo
- Chris Edgerly as Cloak
- Joseph Siravo as Carmine
- Jonathan Kimmel as Scab
- Dominic Scott Kay as Samson
- Christian Argueta as Hamir
- David Cowgill as Hamir
- Lenny Venito as Stan
- Eddie Gossling as Scraw
- Miss Coco Peru as Mama Hippo
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Samson's Father
- Nika Futterman as Dung Beetle #1
- Julianne Buescher as Dung Beetle #2
- Keith Anthony
- Greg Berg
- Bob Bergen
- Jason Connery
- Debi Derryberry
- Terri Douglas
- Jeannie Elias
- Pat Fraley
- Eddie Frierson
- Nicholas Guest
- Jess Harnell
- Jason Harris Katz
- Bridget Hoffman
- Emily Johnson
- John Kassir
- Daniel Kaz
- Josh Keaton
- Carolyn Lawrence
- Danny Mann
- Mona Marshall
- Laraine Newman
- Nolan North
- Paul Pape
- Peter Pamela Rose
- Fred Tatasciore
- Audrey Wasilewski
- casting by Jen Rudin
- edited by Steven L. Wagner & Scott Balcerek
- music by Alan Silvestri
- genres: Computer Animation, Animation, Family, Adventure Film, Children's/Family, Comedy
- rating: G (USA)
- released on (8 years ago)
- official website: movies.disney.com/the-wild
- "Wild" is a 2008 Indonesian drama film written by Rudy Soedjarwo and Cassandra Massardi, and directed by Rudy Soedjarwo.
- "Wild" is a 2012 short drama and romance film directed by Edward Bishop.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Martyn Gough
- executive producer: Edward Bishop
- production design by Anna Oldham-Cooper
- art direction by Merel Graeve & Juliet Murrell
- written by Vicki Murrell
- based on a story by Vicki Murrell
- casting by Thomas Edwards
- cinematography by Joseph Mastrangelo
- edited by Edward Bishop
- costume design by Anna Oldham-Cooper
- genres: Romance Film, Drama
- released in
- "Wild" is a 2012 short film directed by Hadas Tapuchi.
- country: Israel
- released in
- "Wild" is a film, directed by Ross Gibson and written by John Cruthers, Ross Gibson, James Manche.
"Wild" is a book by Jay Griffiths.
- also known as "Wild: An Elemental Journey"
- "Wild" is a single by English singer-songwriter Jessie J and the lead single from her second studio album, Alive. The single released in the United Kingdom and Ireland features American rapper Big Sean and British MC Dizzee Rascal, while the single released in other countries such as Australia, the United States and the Netherlands only features Big Sean. It was written by Jessica Cornish, Claude Kelly, Dylan Mills, Joshua Coleman and Sean Anderson and produced by Ammo. The single was released as a download on 26 May 2013 in the United Kingdom. it reached #38 in the UK year-end chart, selling more than 300,000 copies. it also ended up at #71 in the Australian year-end chart, selling more than 150,000 copies.
- "Wild" a.k.a. "Wild!" is the fourth studio album by British band Erasure. Released in 1989, it was the follow-up album to their 1988 breakthrough The Innocents. The album was produced by Erasure, along with Gareth Jones and Mark Saunders and released by Mute Records in the UK and Sire Records in the U.S.
- genre: Synthpop
- released on (25 years ago)
- "Wild" is a 2013 single by Jessie J.
- "Wild" is a musical EP of Nine Muses.
- released on
- "Wild" is Namie Amuro's 34th solo single under the Avex Trax label. It was released in CD and CD&DVD formats on March 18, 2009, about one year since her previous single "60s 70s 80s", and nearly eight months after her successful compilation album Best Fiction. Dr. marks her first fully animated music video and the song was featured in a Vidal Sassoon CM, while Wild was used in a Coca-Cola Zero commercial. The "Wild" music video drew comparisons to Janet Jackson's "Feedback" video, inspired by its galactic theme, setting, and choreography.
- "Wild" a.k.a. "Wild!": Recorded at the London Arena on 11 December 1989 as part of the tour of their "Wild!" album and released in 1990 on VHS video, Wild! (live) is Erasure's third concert video. With 23 tracks and a running time of almost 90 minutes, it is the first of Erasure's live videos to feature an entire concert, except in the US where a much abridged 15 track version was released. In 1992 the concert was also released in the US on Laser Disc, still with only 15 tracks. It has not been released on DVD to date.
- "Wild" is the fifth full-length studio album by British Pagan rock band Inkubus Sukkubus.
- genre: Pagan rock
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Wild" a.k.a. "Wild!!" is a jazz album by Terry Silverlight.
- genre: Jazz
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Wild" is a musical album of O.B.F..
- "Wild" a.k.a. "Wild!" is a musical album of The Marigolds.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Wild" is a composition.
- "Wild" is a musical album of Absolum.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Wild" is a musical single of Erik Rapp.
- released on
- "Wild" is a musical single of Touch of Joy.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Wild" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Oscar Holter
- "Wild" is a song by AFI.
- music by Jade Puget
- "Wild" is a musical album of Jason D. Williams.
- released in (22 years ago)
- Wild a.k.a. Mick Brown, a.k.a. "Wild" Mick Brown is a drummer who has played in the bands Dokken, Ted Nugent, Lynch Mob, and Xciter. He is a co-founder of Dokken and is known by many Dokken fans as "Wild" Mick Brown.
- read more about Mick Brown
- Wild is an actor.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Wild (actor)
Wild were a five-piece classical female group. They were often compared to Bond, due to the very similar makeup and style of both groups.
- also known as Wild Time
- album: "Time"
- Wild: Rudolf Wild GmbH & Co. KG is a company headquartered in Eppelheim, Germany, near Heidelberg.
- also known as Rudolf Wild
- official website: www.wild.de
- Wild is an organic food restaurant previously known as Slice.
- also known as Slice
- official website: eatdrinkwild.com
The Wild is a small stream in Germany and The Netherlands. If flows south of the German town of Elten and north of the Dutch town of Spijk. It used to be an old branch of the Rhine. North of Lobith it flows into the Oude Rijn.
- Wild is a television documentary series.
- begun in (9 years ago)
- 84 episodes of 60 minutes each
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- genre: Documentary film
- some of the awards:
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Science And Technology Programming (Hyenas At War) nomination for Keenan Smart, Kathryn Pasternak, Stephen Reverand & Kim Wolhuter
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Deadly Summer) nomination for Doug Mackay-Hope
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Deadly Summer), received by Doug Mackay-Hope
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Cinematography – Nature (American Beaver) nomination for Jeff Hogan
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Bonecrusher Queens) nomination for Aquavision TV Productions
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Lion Army) nomination for Aquavision TV Productions
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Dolphin Army) nomination for Aquavision TV Productions
- News & Documentary Emmy Award for Outstanding Nature Programming (Swamp of the Baboons) nomination for Adrian Bailey, Kathryn Pasternak, Robyn Keene-Young & Chris Valentini
- Golden Horn Award for Best Wildlife Programme (Dolphin Army), received by Aquavision TV Productions
- official website: channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/wild/all/Overview
- WILD is a radio station licensed to Boston, Massachusetts. It broadcasts on 1090 kHz and airs programming from China Radio International under a lease agreement. Prior to the flip to Chinese programming, the station had a legacy of serving Boston's African-American community as a R&B outlet from 1967 to 2011. The transmitter for WILD is in Medford.
- official website: www.wild1090.com
- Wild is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Wild
Phrases starting with the word Wild:
- wild ox
- wild ass
- Wild Cat
- wild dog
- wild fig
- wild hop
- wild man
- wild oat
- wild pea
- wild rye
- Wild Yak
- wild yam
- wild bean
- wild boar
Phrases ending with the word Wild:
View more phrases with the word Wild in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wild
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Valerie Porter
Ethiopian achdari: see Syrian wild ass African wild ass: ( formerly N Africa and possibly Arabia)/= Equus africanus Fitzinger/vars: Nubian wild ...
Kritisch-etymologisches Wörterbuch der magyarischen Sprache, etc. (Magyaricae linguae lexicon critico-etymologicum, etc.). (1833)
by Gergely DANKOVSZKY
ferus, wild, sz) fera, das Wild. Inde: чад-айда, malum sylvestre, der Holzapfel. Vadas-kert, vivarîum, der Thiergarten. Vadász, venator, der Jäger. "adászas, vadászat,. venatio, venatus, das Jagen , die Jagd.
by Jan Onofrio
— frontiersman and Wild West showman, was born on February 14, 1860, in Bloomingdale, Illinois, the oldest of the two sons and two daughters of Susan Ann (Conant) Lillie and ...
by Robert HOOPER (M.D.), Klein Grant
(From a-ypws, wild, and dlflreAOS, a vine.) The_ wild vine, or white bryony; and, according to Gerard, the black bryony. See Bryom'a alba, and Tamus communir. AGRIELZE'A. Agrielwos. (From a'ypws, wild, and Mam, ...
by Dennis G. Fowler
bunguntanga - wild marrow. Cucurbita ovifera busala - a kind of poisonous bulb (s); an edible root (p ); the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wild
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wild
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Harlow Heslop
Photo credit: tuchodi
Photo credit: Joel Olives
The plant kingdom must be the most amazing
Photo credit: PunkToad
Photo credit: akk_rus
Best viewed large on black
Photo credit: jar [o]
- Wild Turkey flock
At the edge of a field on a back country road
Photo credit: fishhawk
- Wild grasses
Photo credit: francolaria
- Wild tulip.
Wild tulip, Maramures, Romania.
Photo credit: Revoltatul
- Wild Turkey
Caught these boys and girls at Lopez Lake Park
Photo credit: dave and rose
- "Wild Mushrooms"
Photo credit: Ted Van Pelt
- Wild flower
Photo credit: CasparGirl
- Wild horses
Photo credit: gordonplant
- Wild Horses
Photo credit: JERVIS_PICS
- Wild Beach
Photo credit: aymen_bet
- Wild Rabbit
Photo credit: rawdonfox
- Buffalo Wild Wings
Buffalo Wild Wings Pics by Mike Mozart of JeepersMedia and TheToyChannel on YouTube.
Photo credit: JeepersMedia
- Wild welsh pony
Photo credit: H. Smithers
- Wild Strawberry
Found in Finland
Photo credit: ReneS
- Wild Mushroom
Photo credit: Jonathan Dinh
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Wild
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wild Meaning
Video shows what wild means. Untamed; not domesticated.. Unrestrained or uninhibited.. Raucous, unruly, or licentious.. wild pronunciation. How to pronounce ...
- Frank haalt een slang voor zijn lens | Wild Van Dieren | VTM
Bioloog-fotograaf Frank probeert een slang voor zijn lens te krijgen. Met zijn beelden wil hij zijn voorliefde voor dit wilde dier aan andere mensen doorgeven, ...
- Mark Sanchez's esoteric explanation about his wild play in #Eagles blowout of Colts.
Mark Sanchez's esoteric explanation about his wild play in #Eagles blowout of Colts. By: Bob Grotz - Temple grad, writer, reporter, radio co-host Published on: ...
- Herbs, Wild Plants, Leaves. Glenn Doman Cards - Vocabulary Flash Card - Teach young children
NurseryDayTV PRESENTS: Glenn Doman Card. Herbs, Wild Plants, Leaves. This methodology combines nearly half a century of experience training parents ...
- Wild Meaning
Video shows what Wild means. for a wild person, or for someone living in uncultivated land.. Wild Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Kory Stamper: This wild and barbarous jargon, reduced: Practical lexicography...
Practical lexicography in an age of digital abundance.
- S&P Market Analysis: Wild Reversals & Their Meaning
- [DanceFreaks] Meaning of Life [DOUBLE WILD] by XER0
- THIS GOOD ROBOT - Let's Find Some Meaning at Wild 100
- Wild Hawk Fiberglass Explanation
- Porter Robinson vs. Flo Rida ft. Sia - Wild Language (Diego Floras Mashup)
Porter Robinson vs. Flo Rida ft. Sia - Wild Language (Diego Floras Mashup) Follow Diego Floras...
- DermoMenz Wild Dictionary
- Wild & Strange Language: Lyn Hejinian, Ron Padgett, Carl Phillips, & Kay Ryan
From a panel discussion on"Wild & Strange Language" held during the 2010 Poets Forum, presented by the Academy of American Poets on October 30, 2010, ...
- The language of wild bonobos
Support this project at...
View more videos about Go Wild, Run Wild, The Wild, Gone Wild, Wild Arms, Wild Blue, Wild Boar, Wild card, Wild Hunt, Wild Oats, Wild Side, Wild Goose, Wild Horse, Wild animal, Wild Growth, Wild Man Fischer, and The Meaning Of Wild.
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Wild
Scrabble value of W4I1L1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wild to see it in context!