The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun wiz:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wiz
What does wiz mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wizzes / wizes (variant)
- someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of wiz: ace / adept / champion / genius / hotshot / maven / mavin / sensation / star / superstar / virtuoso / whiz / whizz / wizard
- more generic word: expert = a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully
- more specific term: track star = a star runner
Alternative definition of the noun wiz
- a person who is exceptionally gifted or skilled in a particular area
- [slang] the act of urination
- Wiz a.k.a. W.I.Z. or WIZ, the working pseudonym of Andrew Whiston, is an English music video director who has directed videos for popular recording artists since 1991.
- read more about W.I.Z.
- Wiz a.k.a. Gary Freeman: Gary Ross Freeman, MNZM is a former professional rugby league footballer who represented his country. He was arguably one of New Zealand's greatest Test halfbacks and at the time of his retirement he was the most-capped New Zealand test player and also held the record for most consecutive tests for New Zealand with 37.
- read more about Gary Freeman
- Wiz a.k.a. Andrew Wisniewski is an American professional basketball player.
- read more about Andrew Wisniewski
- Wiz a.k.a. Darren Brown: Darren Mark Brown, known as Wiz, was lead-singer and guitarist of English indie punk band Mega City Four in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and later bands Serpico and Ipanema from 2002 to 2006.
- read more about Darren Brown
- Wiz appeared in the 2014 Time Is Illmatic documentary film.
- Wiz is a fictional character in the anime and manga series D.N.Angel created by Yukiru Sugisaki. Wiz is voiced by Mariela Ortiz in the English dub. In the Wink drama CDs, he's voiced by Megumi Toyoguchi.
- film directed: Lest We Forget: The Video Collection
- Wiz a.k.a. Jerry Seay is a member of the musical group Mother's Finest.
- read more about Jerry Seay
- Wiz: Liz is a fictional character from the film Wild Thing.
- Wiz is a fictional character from the 1951 film Journey Into Light.
- Wiz is a fictional character from the 2009 film Brooklyn's Finest.
- Wiz is a fictional character in the 2001 film They Call Me Sirr.
"Wiz" a.k.a. "The Wiz" is a 1978 American musical adventure film produced in collaboration between Motown Productions and Universal Pictures, and released by Universal on October 24, 1978. A reimagining of L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz featuring an entirely African-American cast, The Wiz was adapted from the 1975 Broadway musical of the same name. The film follows the adventures of Dorothy, a shy Harlem, New York, schoolteacher who finds herself magically transported to the Land of Oz, which resembles a fantasy version of New York City. Befriended by a Scarecrow, a Tin Man, and a Cowardly Lion, she travels through the land to seek an audience with the mysterious Wiz, whom they say has the power to take her home.
- also known as O Mágico Inesquecível
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Sidney Lumet
- producer: Rob Cohen
- executive producers: Kenneth Harper & Berry Gordy
- production design by Tony Walton
- art direction by Philip Rosenberg
- written by Joel Schumacher
- based on "The Wiz", "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum & William F. Brown
- Richard Pryor as The Wizard
- Lena Horne as Glinda the Good
- Nipsey Russell as Tin Man
- Thelma Carpenter as Miss One
- Mabel King as Wicked Witch of the West
- Ted Ross as Lion
- Michael Jackson as Scarecrow
- Theresa Merritt as Aunt Em
- Diana Ross as Dorothy Gale
- Ronald 'Smokey' Stevens as The Four Crows Member #2
- Roderick-Spencer Sibert as The Four Crows Member #3
- Kashka Banjoko as The Four Crows Member #4
- Clyde J. Barrett as Subway Peddler
- Stanley Green as Uncle Henry
- Joe Lynn as Gold Footman #2
- Derrick Bell as The Four Crows Member #1
- Tony Brealord as Gold Footman #1
- Clinton Jackson as Green Footman #1
- Charles Rodriguez as Green Footman #2
- Carlton Johnson as Head Winkie
- Mabel Robinson as Munchkin #2
- Damon Pearce as Munchkin #3
- Donna Patrice Ingram as Munchkin #4
- Harry Madsen as Cheetah
- Glory Van Scott as Rolls Royce Lady
- Vicki Baltimore as Green Lady
- Carlos Cleveland
- Mariann Aalda
- Aaron Boddie
- Gay Faulkner as Guest at Aunt Em's Party #1
- Ted Butler
- T.B. Skinner
- Jamie Perry
- Daphne McWilliams
- H. Douglas Berring
- James Shaw
- Johnny Brown
- Gyle Waddy
- Dorothi Fox
- Frances Salisbury
- Beatrice Dunmore
- Traci Core
- Donald King
- Claude Brooks
- Billie Allen
- Willie C. Carpenter
- Denice Dejon
- Kevin Stockton
- Alvin Alexis
- Adrienne Albert as The Wiz Singers Adult Choir Member #1
- cinematography by Oswald Morris
- edited by Dede Allen
- music by Charlie Smalls, Ashford & Simpson
- costume design by Tony Walton
- set decoration by Edward Stewart & Robert Drumheller
- genres: Family, Fantasy, Adventure Film, Musical
- rating: G (USA)
- released on (37 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Music nomination for Charlie Smalls
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for Tony Walton, Philip Rosenberg, Robert Drumheller & Edward Stewart
- Academy Award for Best Costume Design nomination for Tony Walton
- Saturn Award for Best Costume nomination for Tony Walton
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Oswald Morris
- Academy Award for Best Original Song Score nomination for Quincy Jones
- People's Choice Award for Favorite Musical Motion Picture
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture nomination for Michael Jackson
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture, received by Michael Jackson
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, received by Nipsey Russell
"Wiz" is a video game.
- genres: Adventure game, Action game
- Wiz is a file format.
- Wiz a.k.a. widely interspaced zinc finger motifs is a gene.
- also known as WIZ zinc finger, widely-interspaced zinc finger motifs
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wiz
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Pol Vanhaecke
The complete linear system has no base points by the Riemann-Roch Theorem, hence wiz is an embedding when it is injective and immersive. The Riemann surfaces for which the above map is not an embedding are called hyperelliptic ...
The Encyclopedia of Fantasy (1999)
by John Clute, John Grant
The URBAN FANTASY continues - for example, the Cowardly Lion has been hiding in one of the stone lions outside the New York Public Library, The Wiz is an unsuccessful politician, ...
by Anthony D. Hill, Douglas Q. Barnett
Stephanie Mills, outstanding actress in a musical (The Wiz, 1974—75); George Faison, outstanding choreography (The Wiz, ...
by Mark A. Robinson
tHe WIZ 1971 fllm Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The fllm was released in conjunction with Quaker Oats releasing a new candy bar, which was of course turned into a Wonka Bar. This is why the title was changed from “ Charlie” to ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
WIZARD, or rarely WISARD, n. wiz'érd [from wise, signifying, in the language of the vulgar, 'the cunning man,' ' a conjurer'l: an adept in the black-art; a magician; a sorcerer; a conjurer; in OE., ...
The New Universal English Dictionary ... To which is added, a dictionary of cant words ... The fourth edition, carefully corrected by Mr. Buchanan, etc (1760)
by Nathan BAILEY
are four, wiz. a. The perfect of the more; a. The perfect of the less. 3. The imperfect of the more. 4. The imperfect of the less. But these moods are now grown much out of use, except the last, which is called the Common ...
by Mitchell H Gail, Jacques Benichou
An error model, here called f wiz.x(wl:, x, &1). In many applications, the error model does not depend on Z. For example, in the classical additive measurement error model (1) with normally distributed measurement error, o' is the only ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wiz
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wiz
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Wiz
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wiz War Unboxing, mini-review and light explanation
Full Wiz War review will be found at...
- Wiz Meaning
Video shows what wiz means. a person who is exceptionally gifted or skilled in a particular area. A wizard; an administrator of a multi-user dungeon.. An act of ...
- Mind Wiz Language Learning Game
Mind Wiz for the iOS is finally launched. Learn English or Chinese on the iPad or iPhone. Android version coming soon.
- Check the description! (Wiz Challenge) -/CoC/
View more videos about Wiz Khalifa.
See also the pronunciation examples of Wiz!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Wiz
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'wiz"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Scrabble value of W4I1Z10
The value of this 3-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine