Wolf appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- A lone wolf, lest I dial, laid itself low, Enola.
- Wolf, never evoke epistle welts; I peek over even flow.
- Do off-folio flat ego trials flow at a wolf’s lair to get alfoil off food?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun wolf:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun wolf
- Definition of the verb wolf
- Phrases with Wolf
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wolf
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wolf
- Photos about Wolf
- Video language resources about Wolf
- Sign language
- Quotes about Wolf
- Scrabble value of W4O1L1F4
- Anagrams of WOLF
- Share this page
The word wolf is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wolf
What does wolf mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: wolves / wolf (less preferred form)
- any of various predatory carnivorous canine mammals of North America and Eurasia that usually hunt in packs
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic words: canid / canine = any of various fissiped mammals with nonretractile claws and typically long muzzles
- more specific terms:
- wolf cub / wolf pup = a young wolf
- Canis lupus / timber wolf / gray wolf / grey wolf = a wolf with a brindled grey coat living in forested northern regions of North America
- Canis lupus tundrarum / Arctic wolf / white wolf = wolf of Arctic North America having white fur and a black-tipped tail
- Canis niger / Canis rufus / maned wolf / red wolf = reddish-grey wolf of southwestern North America
- Canis latrans / prairie wolf / brush wolf / coyote = small wolf native to western North America
- member of: Canis / genus Canis = type genus of the Canidae: domestic and wild dogs; wolves
- young animal: pup / puppy / cub / whelp
- female animal: bitch / she-wolf
- male animal: dog
- collective noun: pack (standard term) / rout (when in movement) / route (when in movement)
- collateral adjective: lupine / canine
- German classical scholar who claimed that the Iliad and Odyssey were composed by several authors (1759-1824)
- a man who is aggressive in making amorous advances to women
- a cruelly rapacious person
Alternative definition of the noun wolf
- A large wild canid (member of the dog family), closely related to, and at times consanguineous to the domestic dog, which is considered a subspecies of the wolf.
- A man who makes amorous advances on many women.
- [music] A 'wolf' interval. An unpleasant musical discord produced on a string or keyboard instrument.
Definition of the verb wolf
What does wolf mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: wolfed | wolfing | wolfs
- eat hastily
- examples: The teenager wolfed down the pizza | They wolf more bread
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Cynthia ate the peach | Cynthia devoured the pizza | Cynthia drank the wine | Cynthia gobbled the pizza | Cynthia nibbled the carrot | Cynthia quaffed her mead | Cynthia sipped the drink | Cynthia swilled the beverage [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] down Cynthia gobbled the pizza down [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] up Cynthia gobbled the pizza up
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonym of wolf: wolf down
- more generic word: eat = take in solid food
- Wolf a.k.a. The Big Bad Wolf is a fictional wolf appearing in several precautionary folkloric stories, including some of Aesop's Fables and Grimms' Fairy Tales. Versions of this character have appeared in numerous works, and has become a generic archetype of a menacing predatory antagonist, sometimes referred to as the Big Bad.
- also known as The Wolf, The Big Bad Wolf
- occupation: Thief
- in films:
- "Red Riding Hood", played by Joey Fatone
- "Little Red Riding Hood", played by Timour Bourtasenkov
- "Unstable Fables: 3 Pigs & a Baby", played by Nolan North
- "Three Little Wolves", played by Billy Bletcher
- "Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil", played by Patrick Warburton
- "Into the Woods", played by Johnny Depp
- "Now Hare This", played by Mel Blanc
- "Red Riding Hoodwinked", played by Mel Blanc
- "Book Revue", played by Mel Blanc
- "False Hare", played by Mel Blanc
- "Redux Riding Hood", played by Michael Richards
- "The Practical Pig", played by Billy Bletcher
- "Three Little Bops", played by Stan Freberg
- "The Windblown Hare", played by Mel Blanc
- "Doctor Lollipop", played by Dee Bradley Baker
- "Falsehood", played by Mark Irvingsen
- Wolf is a fictional film character.
- Wolf is a fictional character from 2011 family animation film Ivan Tsarevich i Seryy Volk.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2014 film The Grand Budapest Hotel.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Guillotines.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1994 film Psy 2.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2004 film Shrek 2.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1991 film At Play in the Fields of the Lord.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1967 film The Jungle Book.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2010 film Medium Raw: Night of the Wolf.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2010 film Rush.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2006 film Young Wolfhound.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1978 film Ringing Bell.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2012 film Mirror Mirror.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2007 film Treasure Raiders.
- Wolf is a fictional character from Bugs & Daffy: The Wartime Cartoons.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1997 film, Bent.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2000 film Canone Inverso.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2009 film old fangs.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1990 film Meteo.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2006 film Stormbreaker.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1944 family film My Pal Wolf.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2007 drama film The Princess of Nebraska.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1943 film Destination Tokyo.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1940 film Marked Men.
- Wolf is a fictional character from Blood Money.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1968 film The Savage Seven.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2001 film Hildegarde.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2009 film Green.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1979 film Escape from Alcatraz.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2012 short drama film Good Night.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 2011 film Red Riding Hood.
- Wolf is a fictional character from the 1985 film Girls Just Want to Have Fun.
There are other characters with in their name, like Kim Wolf, Mr. Wolf, Red Wolf, She Wolf, She-Wolf, Wolf boy, Wolf Cub, Wolf Dog, Wolf Man, wolf-boy, Wolf-man, Andy Wolf, Gray Wolf, Grey-Wolf, Karl Wolf, Lone Wolf, Reed Wolf, Wolf Girl.
- "Wolf" is a 1994 American romantic horror film directed by Mike Nichols and written by Jim Harrison, Wesley Strick, and an uncredited Elaine May, with music by Ennio Morricone and cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Douglas Wick
- production design by Bo Welch
- written by Wesley Strick & Jim Harrison
- Michelle Pfeiffer as Laura Alden
- James Spader as Stewart Swinton
- Christopher Plummer as Raymond Alden
- David Schwimmer as Cop #2
- Jack Nicholson as Will Randall
- Kate Nelligan as Charlotte Randall
- Ron Rifkin as Doctor
- Eileen Atkins as Mary
- Om Puri as Dr. Vijay Alezais
- David Hyde Pierce as Roy
- Richard Jenkins as Detective Bridger
- Prunella Scales as Maude
- Brian Markinson as Detective Wade
- Peter Gerety as George
- Bradford English as Keyes
- Stewart J. Zully as Gary
- Thomas F. Duffy as Tom
- Tom Oppenheim as Butler
- Shirin Devrim as Party Guest #1
- Allison Janney as Party Guest #2
- Kirby Mitchell as Party Guest #3
- Madhur Jaffrey as Party Guest #4
- William Hill as Party Guest #5
- Cynthia O'Neal as Party Guest #6
- Timothy Thomas as Party Guest #7
- Lisa Emery as Party Guest #8
- Leigh Carlson as Party Guest #9
- Max Weitzenhoffer as Party Guest #10
- Irene Forrest as Office Worker #1
- Jennifer Nicholson as Office Worker #2
- Jack Nisbet as Office Worker #3
- Dale Kasman as Office Worker #4
- Jeffrey Allen O'Den as Office Worker #5
- Jose Soto as Gang Member #1
- Van Bailey as Gang Member #2
- Dwayne McClary as Gang Member #3
- Alice Liu as Party Guest #11
- Elizabeth Massie as Alden's Secretary
- Joanna Sanchez as Receptionist
- Eva Rodriguez as Maid
- Lia Chang as Desk Clerk
- Starletta Dupois as Victim's Mother
- Oz Perkins as Cop #1
- Christopher Birt as Cop #3
- Kaity Tong as TV Newscaster
- Dorinda Katz as Sexy Shopper
- Elaine May as Operator
- Rawleigh Moreland as Publisher
- Michael Raynor
- Rawleigh Moreland as Party Guest #12
- cinematography by Giuseppe Rotunno
- edited by Sam O'Steen
- music by Ennio Morricone
- costume design by Ann Roth
- set decoration by Linda DeScenna
- location: Bradbury Building
- genres: Horror, Supernatural, Thriller
- The Animal Is Out.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Wolf": Varg is a 2008 action adventure drama film written by Kerstin Ekman and directed by Daniel Alfredson.
- also known as Farkas, Susi, Svartvattnet, Wilk
- countries: Norway, Sweden, Finland
- languages: Swedish Language, Saami, North Language
- producer: Anita Oxburgh
- production design by Åsa Nusson
- written by Kerstin Ekman
- Peter Stormare as Klemens
- Robin Lundberg as Nejla
- Rolf Degerlund as Mats
- Marie Delleskog as Anita
- Gustav Kling as Pe Nisj
- Inga Sarri as Risten
- Svante Martin as Henningsson
- Bo Samuelsson as Elias
- Anitta Suikkari as Guro
- Sven Henriksen as Dorj
- Nils-Josef Labba as Fjellström
- Åke Arvidsson as Poliskollegan
- Annika Nordin as Åklagaren
- Aksel Morisse as Advokaten Westin
- Karl Zerpe as Ola
- casting by Imor Hermann
- cinematography by Jörgen Persson
- edited by Håkan Karlsson
- music by Adam Nordén
- costume design by Karin Sundvall
- set decoration by Pontus Klereborn
- genres: Action Film, Adventure Film, Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Wolf" is a crime drama thriller film directed by Jim Taihuttu.
- "Wolf" a.k.a. "The Wolf": El lobo is a 2004 film directed by Miguel Courtois. It stars Eduardo Noriega.
- read more about The Wolf
- "Wolf" is a 1955 Japanese drama film written and directed by Kaneto Shindo.
- "Wolf" is a 2012 drama film written and directed by Ya'Ke Smith.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Ya'Ke Smith
- producers: Ralph Lopez, Derek Lee Nixon, Ya'Ke Smith
- executive producers: Ralph Lopez & Ya'Ke Smith
- production design by Nicco Vasquez
- written by Ya'Ke Smith
- Pedro Castaneda as Priest
- Jordan Cooper as Carl
- Mikala Gibson as Nona
- Irma P. Hall as Brenda
- Amelia Jeffries as Asst to Elder Thomas
- Shelton Jolivette as Jaymund
- Eugene Lee as Bishop Anderson
- Tim Newkirk as Detective Charles
- Xavier Ramirez as Police Detective
- Monique Straw as Naomi
- Gabi Walker as Jade
- Nikki Young as Woman at Church
- Lauren Montemayor as Church Patron
- cinematography by Yuta Yamaguchi
- edited by Ya'Ke Smith
- music by Micah Hayes
- costume design by Janice Janacek
- genres: Family, Drama
- released on
- "Wolf" a.k.a. "Lupu" is a 2013 drama film written and directed by Bogdan Mustata.
- "Wolf" is a 2012 short crime film written by Greg Caiafa.
- "Wolf" is a film.
- country: Republic of Ireland
- Wolf a.k.a. Christopher Coppola is a film director and producer.
- read more about Christopher Coppola (film director)
- Wolf a.k.a. Hollywood Yates is an actor, rodeo clown, wrestler and singer.
- read more about Hollywood Yates (actor)
- Wolf a.k.a. Myke Michaels is an actor, makeup artist, film producer, and stunt performer.
- read more about Myke Michaels
- Wolf a.k.a. Kimberly Evan is an actress.
- read more about Kimberly Evan (actress)
- Wolf a.k.a. Wolfgang Raach is a stuntman and actor.
- read more about Wolfgang Raach (actor)
- Wolf a.k.a. Colin Bowman was the publisher and owner of WCW Magazine from 1994 to 1999.
- read more about Colin Bowman (actor)
- Wolf a.k.a. Ulvrik Kraft is a film producer, actor, film editor, film director and screenwriter.
- read more about Ulvrik Kraft
- Wolf a.k.a. John Peebles is an actor.
- read more about John Peebles (actor)
- WOLF a.k.a. Carlos Mkutano is an actor.
- read more about Carlos Mkutano (actor)
- Wolf a.k.a. Wolfgang J. Weber is a film actor.
- read more about Wolfgang J. Weber (actor)
Phrases with Wolf
Phrases starting with the word Wolf:
Phrases ending with the word Wolf:
View more phrases with the word Wolf in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Wolf
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Affect and Virtuality in Faulkner, Wharton, Ellison, and McCarthy by A. Bourassa
The wolf becomes not God, but what God cannot reclaim, and the great beauty of the wolf is the beauty of what cannot be...
by L. DeVere Burton
KEY INTERNET SEARCH THREATENED SPECIES PROFILE “'°""5 The Red Wolf red wolf Canis rufus The red wolf is an endangered species whose native range extends from the southeastern United States to central Texas see Figure 5 —10 ...
by Todd Stanley
Wolf is a dangerous individual...
by Rudyard Kipling
The Jackal may follow the Tiger, but, Cub, when thy whiskers are grown, Remember the Wolf is a hunter — go forth and get food of thine own. Keep peace with the Lords of the Jungle — the Tiger, the Panther, the Bear; And trouble not Hathi ...
Dog Sense (2014)
How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet by John Bradshaw
Many books, articles, and TV programs about dog behavior have claimed that understanding the wolf is the key to...
of which the wolf is a part.
A Deep Map by William Least Heat-Moon
The wolf is a prairie child. — William A. Quayle, The Piame and the Sea (1905) The prairie wolf. . . is a sneaking, cowardly, little wretch, of a dull or dirty white color, much resembling a small, short-bodied dog set up on pretty long legs.
Red Riding Hood for All Ages (2008)
A Fairy-tale Icon in Cross-cultural Contexts by Sandra L. Beckett
The wolf is an obsessive presence in the folk and fairy tales and nursery rhymes that have saturated the collective conscious. The animal carries...
by Udo Becker
WIND HEADS: The Wind of the West and the Wind of the East from the world map in Gregor Reisch's Margarita Philosophica Germanic mythology, the rapacious, voracious wolf appears as a dangerous demon that proclaims the end of the ...
Aristoglyphics; or Heraldic Dictionary of the Arms borne by the Nobility of the British Empire (1838)
Wolf...W. . . D. Wolf W.
by Henry Kellerman
WOLF MAN The analysis by Freud ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wolf
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wolf
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Michelleyyy
A wolf in the zoo in Munich.
Photo credit: Uwe Hermann
Photo credit: tricia_hall
Photo credit: dickdotcom
He doesn't look that bothered to be honest
Photo credit: Mr Gus
Wolf in a zoo in opole
Photo credit: Soren Wolf
Photo credit: Lexie Stevenson
Spotted it after hiking for only 10 minutes. It didn't seem to care about us.
Photo credit: Better Than Bacon
Samsung digital camera
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: DaniJace
This is one of the wolves at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery center in West Yellowstone.
Photo credit: Dennis from Atlanta
Photo credit: Orest U
Alaska Zoo. Most of the animals were sleeping but he heard something and stuck his head up.
Photo credit: Accretion Disc
Wolf spotted in Dierenrijk Europa Netherlands
Photo credit: mape_s
Photo credit: Seabamirum
Longleat Safari Park
Photo credit: BenedictFrancis
- European wolf
Photo credit: Mostly Dans
Photo credit: Ross Catrow
- Eurasian wolf
Photo credit: rabbit_akra
- Wolf Pile
Wolf upon wolf!
Photo credit: Harlequeen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Wolf
Click on an item to play that video:
- Kabbalah: The Meaning of Desire - Rabbi Laibl Wolf, Spiritgrow - Josef Kryss Center
The Art of Loving Session 2 - The Meaning of Desire A five part series by Rabbi Laibl Wolf, Spiritgrow Josef Kryss Centre, Melbourne, Australia ...
- Wolf Meaning
Video shows what wolf means. A large wild canid of certain subspecies of Canis lupus.. A man who makes amorous advances on many women.. A wolf tone or ...
- Red Wolf Meaning
Video shows what Red Wolf means. Common name for Canis rufus.. Red Wolf Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Red Wolf.
- Wolf Meaning
Video shows what Wolf means. The constellation Lupus.. Wolf Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Wolf. Powered by MaryTTS ...
- Grey wolf Meaning
Video shows what grey wolf means. A large grey wolf, Canis lupus, once found throughout forested areas of northern Europe, Asia and America; it shares a ...
- The Goat and the Singing Wolf, Vocabulary by Maria, Stephen
Book: Reading A-Z App for collage pages: Pic Collage App for book/video: Book Creator.
- Wolf Vocabulary
- What's the time, Mr Wolf Meaning
Video shows what what's the time, Mr Wolf means. A children's game in which one player takes the role of the wolf and the others repeatedly ask him what the ...
- Wolf whistle Meaning
Video shows what wolf whistle means. A whistle, of two notes, to signify sexual interest in someone.. Wolf whistle Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- EDUC 213 Vocabulary Instruction - Wolf 2nd
- Owl City - Wolf Bite [HD Lyrics + Description]
Best quality: 720p Owl City - Wolf Bite...
- Language lessons and the museum: Wolf Brinkman's approach
Artist Wolf Brinkman and teacher Petra Schoenmakers are interested in the way in which art can support education in language and mathematics. For ten weeks ...
- 8.Alison Bailey & Mikyung Wolf: Assessing Language Proficiency and Common Core
Alison Bailey and Mikyung Wolf discuss their vision of an integrated assessment system in which content assessments, English language proficiency ...
- Learning activities for Wolf Won't Bite! (modal verb "Can" ) - Phun tasks #1
This video is a collection of learning activities for the storybook "Wolf Won't Bite!", including a activity for practising "can". There is something for everyone!
View more videos about Cry Wolf, The Wolf, Wolf Cub, Dire wolf, Lone Wolf, Teen Wolf, Wolf Down, Wolf Gang, Maned Wolf, Daniel Wolf, Timber Wolf, Tundra wolf, Wolf Parade, Wolf Spider, Wolf Children, Ethiopian wolf, and Tasmanian wolf.
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Wolf
A thief knows a thief as a wolf knows a wolf.
more quotes about wolf...
Scrabble value of W4O1L1F4
The value of this 4-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WOLF
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Wolf!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wolf to see it in context!