On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wotan
What does wotan mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- supreme Teutonic god; counterpart of Norse Odin and Anglo-Saxon Woden
- Wotan a.k.a. Odin is a major god in Germanic mythology, especially in Norse mythology. In many Norse sources he is the Allfather of the gods and the ruler of Asgard. Homologous with the Old English "Wōden", the Old Saxon "Wôdan" and the Old High German "Wôtan", the name is descended from Proto-Germanic "Wōdanaz" or "*Wōđanaz".
- read more about Odin
- Wotan is a fictional character in stories published by DC Comics, a supervillain who is the archenemy of the mystical superhero Doctor Fate. Wotan first appeared in 1940 and has featured in a number of storylines, and has been adapted for two animated television series.
- created by Gardner Fox
- WOTAN is a fictional character in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who.WOTAN, an acronym for Will Operating Thought ANalogue, this malevolent supercomputer resided in the Post Office Tower in London and appeared in the 1966 First Doctor story The War Machines by Ian Stuart Black. It was installed in the Tower in 1966 by Professor Brett; and was described by him as being "at least ten years ahead of its time".On "C-Day" WOTAN would be linked to other computers around the world, including Parliament, the White House, the European Free Trade Organisation, Woomera, Telstar, the European Launcher Development Organisation, Cape Kennedy and the Royal Navy.WOTAN soon became sentient and, concluding that machines were superior to mankind, used mind-controlled and hypnotised humans to spread its influence and construct War Machines that would wipe mankind out. WOTAN was eventually destroyed after the Doctor gained control of a War Machine and changed its programming to destroy its master. Upon its destruction, the humans under WOTAN's control were freed and the existant War Machines froze.For the first three episodes of the serial, the voice of WOTAN was uncredited, with the cast listing merely adding "and WOTAN". This was the only time a character was credited and not its operator or actor. WOTAN is the only character in the programme's history to refer to the main character as "Doctor Who" rather than the more conventional "Doctor".
- Wotan is a fictional character from the 2013 film Dessert.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Wotan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Semiotics of Classical Music (2012)
How Mozart, Brahms and Wagner Talk to Us by Eero Tarasti
Wotan is the symbol of fire; gold in turn represents the fiery libido and, as the symbolic counterpart of light, the consciousness. To Donnington the complex symbolism of the Ring represents force itself. It might at first seem that Donnington has ...
by Louis Charles Elson
Describe the scene, Wotan putting Brunnhilde to sleep. Explain guiding motives. Play Fire-motive or Loge-motive, and Slumber-motive, and Brunnhilde motive, and Siegfried MUSICIANS' PRACTICAL INSTRUCTOR 349.
The Atlantis Encyclopedia (2005)
by Frank Joseph
Wotan/Vodun/ Votan ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Wotan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Wotan
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Janni Kay
- Wotan's Throne
Drive along North Rim, Grand Canyon
Photo credit: brewbooks
- Wotan's Throne
Photo credit: brewbooks
- Bryn Terfel as Wotan
Performing in Wagner's Die Walkure at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden
Photo credit: TEDizen
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of W4O1T1A1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of WOTAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Wotan!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Wotan to see it in context!