On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun wv
What does wv mean as a name of something?
- a state in east central United States
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- alternative spelling: W.V.
- synonyms of WV: Mountain State / West Virginia
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean
- Beckley = a city in southern West Virginia
- capital of West Virginia / Charleston = state capital of West Virginia in the central part of the state on the Kanawha river
- Clarksburg = a city in northern West Virginia
- Fayetteville = a town in central West Virginia on the New River
- Huntington = a city of western West Virginia on the Ohio river at the mouth of the Kanawha
- Harper's Ferry / Harpers Ferry = a small town in northeastern West Virginia that was the site of a raid in 1859 by the abolitionist John Brown and his followers who captured an arsenal that was located there
- Morgantown = a city in northern West Virginia on the Monongahela river near the Pennsylvania border
- Parkersburg = a city in northwestern West Virginia on the Ohio river
- Wheeling = a city in the northern panhandle of West Virginia on the Ohio river
- Allegheny Mountains / Alleghenies = the western part of the Appalachian Mountains
- Kanawha River / Kanawha = a tributary of the Ohio River in West Virginia
- Monongahela River / Monongahela = a river that rises in northern West Virginia and flows north into Pennsylvania where it joins the Allegheny River at Pittsburgh to form the Ohio River
- Potomac River / Potomac = a river in the east central United States
Other definitions of wv
What does wv also mean?
- West Virginia, a state of the United States of America.
WV a.k.a. West Virginia is a state in the Appalachian, Upland South, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States, bordered by Virginia on the southeast, Kentucky on the southwest, Ohio on the northwest, and Pennsylvania and Maryland on the northeast. The capital and largest city is Charleston. Historically the area now occupying West Virginia had a separate identity from the early days of pioneering settlement. The early British American settlers called the area Vandalia. After the American Revolution the settlers of the area sought the status of an individual state of the union under the name Westsylvania, but their attempts were blocked by Virginia which claimed most of the area, and Pennsylvania which claimed a small part of the area. After the Wheeling Conventions, West Virginia broke away from Virginia during the American Civil War and was admitted to the Union as a separate state on June 20, 1863, and was a key Civil War border state. It is one of only two states formed during the American Civil War and is the only state to form by seceding from a Confederate state and one of three states to secede from another state. The Census Bureau considers West Virginia part of the South because most of the state is south of the Mason-Dixon Line. The northern panhandle, however, extends adjacent to Pennsylvania and Ohio with the West Virginia city of Weirton on a parallel with Pittsburgh, while Bluefield is less than seventy miles from North Carolina and Harper's Ferry is considered to be a part of the Washington D.C. metropolitan area. The unique position of West Virginia means that it is often included in a wide variety of geographical regions, including the Southeastern United States and even the Northeastern United States. Notably, it is the only state which entirely lies within the area served by the Appalachian Regional Commission, which is a common definition of Appalachia. The state is noted for its great natural beauty, its historically significant logging and coal mining industries, and its labor history. It is also known for a wide range of outdoor recreational opportunities, including skiing, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, caving, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, and hunting.
- read more about West Virginia (state)
Wv a.k.a. Swe Fly was an independent airline based in Nyköping, Sweden. It was a regional operator which branched into international long-haul services in 2005. All flights were suspended in September 2005 due to financial problems.
- wv: The software library wv, also known as wvware or by its previous name mswordview, is a set of free software programs licensed under the GNU General Public License which can be used for viewing and/or converting files in the Microsoft .doc format to plain text, LaTeX, html or other formats.
- Wv a.k.a. Kir3.2 is a protein.
- read more about Kir3.2
- Wv is a file format.
Scrabble value of W4V4
The value of this 2-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.