On this page:
Definition of the noun ymir
What does ymir mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- (Norse mythology) the primeval giant slain by Odin and his brothers and from whose body they created the world: the sea from his blood; the earth from his flesh; the mountains from his bones; the sky from his skull
- Ymir: Based on the frost giant of the same name from Norse mythology, Ymir is a fictional character that appears in publications published by Marvel Comics. The character first appears in Journey into Mystery #97 and was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.
- Ymir is a fictional character from the TV series Queen's Blade.
- also known as Iron Princess Ymir
"Ymir" is a short film, directed by François Coutu.
- genres: Adventure Film, Animation, Science Fiction, Action Film, Fantasy film
- released in
Who is Ymir?
Ymir is a member of the musical group Black Messiah.
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group Black Messiah (Guitar) since
- Ymir: In Norse mythology, Ymir, Aurgelmir, Brimir, or Bláinn is a primeval being born of primordial elemental poison and the ancestor of all jötnar. Ymir is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional material, in the Prose Edda, written by Snorri Sturluson in the 13th century, and in the poetry of skalds. Taken together, several stanzas from four poems collected in the Poetic Edda refer to Ymir as a primeval being who was born from venom that dripped from the icy rivers Élivágar and lived in the grassless void of Ginnungagap. Ymir birthed a male and female from the pits of his arms, and his legs together begat a six-headed being. The gods Odin, Vili, and Vé fashioned the Earth from his flesh, from his blood the ocean, from his bones the hills, from his hair the trees, from his brains the clouds, from his skull the heavens, and from his eyebrows the middle realm in which mankind lives, Midgard. In addition, one stanza relates that the dwarfs were given life by the gods from Ymir's flesh and blood.
- also known as 尤彌爾
- Ymir, or Saturn XIX, is a retrograde irregular moon of Saturn. It was discovered by Brett J. Gladman, et al. in 2000, and given the temporary designation S/2000 S 1. It was named in August 2003, from Norse mythology, where Ymir is the ancestor of all the Jotuns or frost giants.
- also known as Saturn XIX, S/2000 S 1
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ymir
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John McKinnell
While Old Norse Ymir is a primeval giant, the Sanskrit Yama is the first man (who chooses to die and becomes the King...
Because Ymir is the primeval giant from whom the world was made, the same ancient function is assigned to Yama and ...
by Richard Leviton
A Ymir is an exoteric deified landscape, not a secret, phase-shifted one like a heyul. But the idea is similar: you walk inside the great deity's virtual body expressed as the land. Krishna declares in one of the visionary reports attributed to him ...
by Udo Becker
Ymir - Ymir is an ancient giant in Germanic mythology that reproduces asexu- ally. This is how the frost or hoarfrost giant came to be.
The Breuiarie of Britayne (1573)
As this Most Noble, and Renowmed [sic] Iland, was of Auncient Time Deuided Into Three Kindomes, England, Scotland, and Wales ... by Humphrey Llwyd
TTU hereby it appeareth, this kingewascheefeltp2inceokal wales, AboutAnglyfy bediuers little Ilands as Yns Adar, that is to say: the Zlle of Bp des sometime, but now it is called Ymir Moylrhoniaid, to witte the Jle of TWhales, in English Ysterifd.
British Columbia, Canada's Most Westerly Province: Its Position, Advantages, Resources and Climate (1905)
New Fields for Mining, Farming, Lumbering, Fruit Growing and Ranching Reached by the Canadian Pacific Railway. A Handbook of Trustworthy Information
YMIR is a flourishing ...
Or, The Zodiac Shown to be an Old Terrestrial Map in which the Atlantic Isle is Delineated; So that Light Can be Thrown Upon the Obscure Histories of the Earthworks and Ruined Cities of America by William Stephens Blacket
Ymir is the old name of the constellation, Hercules, who overhangs those regions. Cronus becomes a savage, and Phanes is but another spelling for Faunes, already shown to be ...
Building Harlequin's Moon (2005)
by Larry Niven, Brenda Cooper
" Ymir is a myth! "We need the chance to make Selene, to keep it alive, and to grow into whatever we can become. Maybe we will make it to the stars ourselves.
by Lewis Spence
Ymir. A primeval giant of Norse mythology, formed ...
Encyclopedia of Anthropology (2005)
FIVE-VOLUME SET by H. James Birx
ice from Niflheim, and a stream of water flowed into the void, from which emerged the giant, Ymir, ancestor of the Frost Giants. Created from drops of the melting ice , Audhumbla, the cow, nourished Ymir and was nourished herself by licking ...
Being a Reprint Entire of the Last Edinburgh and London Edition of Chambers's Encyclopaedia. A Library of Universal Knowledge for the People. With Very Large Additions Upon Topics of Special Interest to American Readers; and Giving American Statistics of Population Down to the Census of 1880
In the cosmogony of the northern nations, giants occupy u fur more importaut place than the Greeks assigned to them, for ltere the first created being was tin; giant Ymir, called also " Aurgelmir," or ** the ancient Chaos," the progenitor of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ymir
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ymir
Click on an item to view that photo:
Kuura with Ymir
Photo credit: Alt-x
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of Y4M3I1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of YMIR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Ymir!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Ymir to find many related words and phrases!