On this page:
- Definition of the adjective a cappella
- Definition of the adverb a cappella
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A cappella
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A cappella
- Photos about A cappella
- Video language resources about A cappella
- Sign language
- Quotes about A cappella
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective a cappella
What does a cappella mean as an attribute of a noun?
- sung without instrumental accompaniment
Definition of the adverb a cappella
What does a cappella mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- without musical accompaniment
- example: they performed a cappella
- synonym of a cappella: a capella
Alternative definition of the adverb a cappella
- [music] Performed by a soloist or choir with no instrumental accompaniment; literally "in the style of the (Sistine) Chapel (in Rome)"; such as a musical Mass done a cappella.
- [music] A time indication, equivalent to alla breve.
- [music] Performed vocally without instrumental accompaniment.
- A cappella music is specifically group or solo singing without instrumental accompaniment, or a piece intended to be performed in this way. It contrasts with cantata, which is accompanied singing. A cappella was originally intended to differentiate between Renaissance polyphony and Baroque concertato style. In the 19th century a renewed interest in Renaissance polyphony coupled with an ignorance of the fact that vocal parts were often doubled by instrumentalists led to the term coming to mean unaccompanied vocal music. The term is also used, albeit rarely, as a synonym for alla breve.
- also known as 無伴奏合唱
- subgenre of Vocal music
- "A Cappella" is a 1985 album by Todd Rundgren. The album is one of Rundgren's most unusual in that every sound is the product of the artist's voice. Rundgren employed overdubbing techniques and an E-mu Emulator, electronically manipulating the sound of his voice in order to mimic conventional rock instruments, handclaps, and other sounds. This unique approach to music making was later explored by artists such as Mike Patton and Björk.
- genre: Pop rock
- released in (30 years ago)
- "A Cappella" is an album from Contemporary Christian, Southern Gospel group Gaither Vocal Band. The album was released on September 30, 2003.
- "A Cappella" is a musical album of Los Vidal.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "A cappella" is a musical album of Raimonds Pauls.
- released on
- "A Cappella" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by AM Kidd
- "A Cappella" is a musical album of The Persuasions.
- "A Cappella" is a musical album of Heritage Singers.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A cappella
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Music in American Life: An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories that Shaped our Culture [4 volumes] (2013)
An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories That Shaped Our Culture by Jacqueline Edmondson Ph.D.
“A cappella” is Italian for “in the manner of the chapel.” The term originally indicated a style of vocal music sung in church during the Renaissance. Today a cappella means “singing without accompaniment” in a more general sense, indicating ...
by Matthew Hoch
Genres that are almost exclusively unaccompanied include Gregorian chant, barbershop, contemporary a cappella groups, and many types of folk music. Many choral compositions are also unaccompanied, including most of the repertoire ...
by Joseph P. Swain
attempted in Germany to promote a cappella choral singing through the study and revival of Giovanni da Palestrina's music and chant and through new compositions based on those ...
All the Essential Terms, Composers, and Theory in an Easy-to-Follow Format! by L. C. Harnsberger
Also see a cappella. capriccio, caprice (It., kah-PREET-choh; Fr., kah-PREES): An instrumental piece in a free form. capriccioso (It., kah-preet-CHOH-zoh): Capricious, lively, fanciful. carillon (Fr., kah-ree-YON or KA-ril-lon): A set of bells played ...
by Irma H. Collins
• ACAPPELLA TRADITION A CAPPELLA TRADITION. In church style, choral singing without accompaniment. Generally, any unaccompanied vocal performance. This early choral form reappeared in the early 20th century when Peter C.
by John Stainer, William Alexander Barrett
CANONE CHIUSO CANTO A CAPPELLA. CANTO ARMONICO CANTUS MENSURABILIS. CANTUS PLANUS CANZONCINO. CANZONET CARILLON. CARILLON. From Andr£'s ' Lehrbuch der T onkun st ," 183a. The following is a canon ...
To which is Prefixed an Introduction to the Elements of Music by Frederick Niecks
A cappella (It.). (1) In the style of church music. (2) For voices without instrumental accompaniments. When in compositions in this style instruments are joined ...
by Emily Freeman Brown
Also a cappella. capriccioso. 1. (It.) fanciful, capricious; a character word often seen in Italian scores and parts. (Fr. capricieux; Ger. kapriziös, launisch; Sp. capricho.) 2. A title for a piece in a virtuosic style. capricho. (Sp.) fanciful, capricious.
With a Short Prefatory Explanation of the Elementary Rules of Music by Sara Anne Carmichael, Samuel Macauley Jackson
A cappella. Alla. that the time is to be taken quicker than usual. It is generally to be met with in movements having four minims in a be which, therefore, in the Alla Breve time, would be equal to four crochets.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A cappella
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about A cappella
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video language resources about A cappella
Click on an item to play that video:
- TBA A Cappella 2009(HQ): Meaning
Brad Tapson and TBA singing "Meaning" by Gavin DeGraw, arranged by Justine Chiou of the Harvard Opportunes, for their Final Countdown to Earth Hour 2009 ...
- A cappella Meaning
Video shows what a cappella means. In a manner of a choir with no instrumental accompaniment; literally "in the style of the (Sistine) Chapel (in Rome)"; such as ...
- TBA A Cappella 2011: Meaning
- New Slang (A Cappella) - Wayland High School Testostertones
Soloist: Matt Cooper '14 Spring Acapella Concert Original by The Shins.
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "A Cappella"
See also the pronunciation examples of A cappella!
"Let There Be Peace" in ASL (sign language) - a cappella
The River Oaks Chorus sings "Let There Be Peace on Earth" a cappella as it's performed in sign language.
Quotes about A cappella
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A cappella to see it in context!